cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Coronavirus affecting anyone besides me, lowering your sales

Hi guys just curios my sales are very low right now. Does anyone have the same problem?

Message 1 of 136
latest reply
135 REPLIES 135

Re: Is Coronavirus affecting anyone besides me, lowering your sales

Sales slowed about March 15th for me before that they were  good...now down a lot.  As mostly a shoe seller i don't think people are looking for shoes as many are stuck at home.  Plus over 3 filed for unemployment last week.  Probably the tip of the iceberg

Message 76 of 136
latest reply

I have ended my sales for the month just so my husband does not have to go to the Post Office.   This is my effort to slow the spread.

Message 77 of 136
latest reply

Most definitely, it seemed that even before the virus hit it was hard for me (to make seels). I only use "Buy it Now" as I have NEVER had luck with the auctions. So, since I know its a buyers market I have almost cut my prices in half (and used also the send offer tool) reducing it even more! No luck. I know I shouldn't take it personally, (but I also usually use "make me an offer". I had someone wanting to lowball me for a high end German clock (most comparable selling on ebay around $150.00), They offered me $30.00! I said it once before and I will say it again. If it comes down to it, I will take my items and have a yard sale and not pay the Ebay fees.
Message 78 of 136
latest reply

Hello Community;
Getting 50,000 free listings is a ebay Hail Mary. Not a good strategy to try to load up the site. If you're unhappy now with "search" results and lack of sales, don't expect that this will "enhance" the ebay buyer experience.
This is a desperation move.

"Defer" your fees to a later date? How is that going to work when "managed payments" is in place? Considering how well funded they are from the sale of Stubhub, they should eat the fees to save their Seller base.

Right now everyone needs to access their exposure risk in going to the Post Office.
Is it Really worth it to make a sale & ship? It's no fun seeing the USPS employees gloved and masked. We all need to access our downside risk to ourselves & our family for a few bucks.

I've gone on "vacation" and will continue to pay the store fee for a short time until I decide it's safe to proceed or not.
Hope everyone can do what's right for themselves.
Think it through.

Good Luck and stay safe....…...

Message 79 of 136
latest reply

When I see questions like yours, I want to ask:  How does anyone determine the reason that sales are slow?

We could blame it on the virus right now, but do we actually know that? I would imagine that, throughout the year, all of us have a particular time when we cut back on our buying, like just before school starts, or maybe at a time when our work is slow and we are not getting paid as much.  Or in January when those bills come in for the Christmas gifts.

The question DID spark quite a bit of discussion, however.

Message 80 of 136
latest reply

Why are we discussing "politics" on a eBay discussion board?  There's a ton of other venues to discuss politics and this isn't one of them.

Message 81 of 136
latest reply

Where are all the current discussions about current sales trends during the crisis?
Message 82 of 136
latest reply

@jerzee908 wrote:

Why are we discussing "politics" on a eBay discussion board?  There's a ton of other venues to discuss politics and this isn't one of them.

Because as soon as certain posters appear in a thread it starts.

Message 83 of 136
latest reply

@toalterorabolish wrote:

Hi guys just curios my sales are very low right now. Does anyone have the same problem?

My sales have always been tied to the merchandise I am offering and the effort I put in to selling. With unprecedented times upon us now people are still buying as long as the price and shipping are not over the top.

My personal opinion on all this: Not the time for blame and personal attacks. We should ALL be pulling together and following the rules and doing everything we can to help one another. Let us not forget there will be an election around the corner when this is all over (hopefully) and we can decide then.

Message 84 of 136
latest reply

@murphy71605 wrote:

@toalterorabolish wrote:

My sales have always been tied to the merchandise I am offering and the effort I put in to selling. With unprecedented times upon us now people are still buying as long as the price and shipping are not over the top.

My personal opinion on all this: Not the time for blame and personal attacks. We should ALL be pulling together and following the rules and doing everything we can to help one another. Let us not forget there will be an election around the corner when this is all over (hopefully) and we can decide then.

I agree however by the time the election actually gets here we could be in round two of this virus.  I hope, along with the doctors and scientists that by the fall we will have a vaccine for this virus.

My sales are actually WAY UP for this month.  I'm certain that is due to the type of stuff I sell.  Just in the past day or two it started slowing way down from what I was doing.  But hopefully it will climb again soon.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 85 of 136
latest reply

I try to look at the bright side, lots of people at home now looking for something to do. Hopefully they are looking to buy something. 

My sales have picked up for certain items. Most of my store items have been dead, but some collectibles have done well for me in auction and BIN. I did notice that the shipping time on some items has slowed for me. The last 2 items I shipped (first class) sat for 3 days in the Chicago sort facility before moving. I suspect anything going through a major city with a high rate of infections is slowing.

Message 86 of 136
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

When I see questions like yours, I want to ask:  How does anyone determine the reason that sales are slow?

We could blame it on the virus right now, but do we actually know that? I would imagine that, throughout the year, all of us have a particular time when we cut back on our buying, like just before school starts, or maybe at a time when our work is slow and we are not getting paid as much.  Or in January when those bills come in for the Christmas gifts.

The question DID spark quite a bit of discussion, however.

I understand fluctuations, in my case mostly to do with how much and what I list. This time, however, I've been able to draw two direct correlations due to what I sell.  Also, my historically very steady sales (tax season, Christmas, whatever, never made any difference) tanked over the period of about a week as the news got worse and worse.  I now have unprecedentedly poor sales - first time in many years, including 2008, etc. However, I've sold out half of my computer peripherals and remotes (people working at home, people stuck at home, etc.) - there are unprecedented numbers of people going on unemployment, too.

Right now spending has shifted to commodities and essentials.  Also anything that supports the fact that people are having to stay home - books and handiwork and the like (as MAM illustrates).

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 87 of 136
latest reply

Worst sale totals this month, after selling for almost 20 years. 

Was hoping ebay would advertise more that we are still here and open for business.

And emphasize they don't have to leave their homes to make purchases.

Message 88 of 136
latest reply

Spoiler
I’ve had super slow sales since the virus 
Message 89 of 136
latest reply

My sales have jumped up around 40% more but I sell mostly video games and DVD's so I guess that would be popular when your stuck at home.

Message 90 of 136
latest reply