cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Coronavirus affecting anyone besides me, lowering your sales

Hi guys just curios my sales are very low right now. Does anyone have the same problem?

Message 1 of 136
latest reply
135 REPLIES 135

I'm unsure of why you ask this question.  You do realize this is a worldwide issue, not a you issue, right?  It's probably just how you asked the question to be sure.  But I just found it odd.

It is reasonable to believe that as people stay home instead of getting out in public, there might be a influx on online shopping.  It give these people something to do.  As time goes on and more and more people are home without pay, this will lessen their shopping of course.  

This could be a long recovery for many of us.  We just don't know the scope of the problem yet and aren't likely to until we get more tests and get them to the areas in need.  Stay informed and do what the CDC is suggesting to help keep yourself and your families safe.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 136
latest reply

I've had slow sales this month of March. But I only do auctions. It could be the tax filing season. It could be people concentrating on the "Wuhan" virus. I'm hoping that EB will give us the 100 free listings which I haven't had in over 2 weeks.
Message 3 of 136
latest reply

At the beginning of the year, January 2, 2020, the Dow closed at almost 29,000. Today, it closed at 25,000. For me, on paper anyway, that translates into a loss of $80,000. While you sell some really cute items, I'm just going to concentrate on buying groceries for awhile . . .

Recent statistics indicate 61% of eBay buyers are over 35. If those potential buyers aren't paying attention to their retirement accounts and reassessing their spending habits--at least for the near-term--they certainly should be.
Message 4 of 136
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I'm unsure of why you ask this question.  You do realize this is a worldwide issue, not a you issue, right?  It's probably just how you asked the question to be sure.  But I just found it odd.

It is reasonable to believe that as people stay home instead of getting out in public, there might be a influx on online shopping.  It give these people something to do.  As time goes on and more and more people are home without pay, this will lessen their shopping of course.  

This could be a long recovery for many of us.  We just don't know the scope of the problem yet and aren't likely to until we get more tests and get them to the areas in need.  Stay informed and do what the CDC is suggesting to help keep yourself and your families safe.  

I'd like to interject with my two cents on the coronavirus issue...

I have a tenant in my basement who works for a machining shop. People who sell things contract his shop to make them. Those people are not having enough sales to keep stocking up inventory, so the work is slowing down at his shop as there is less and less that needs to be made. Last week his 44 hour week became 32 hours (which is a $800 monthly pay cut, when he was already living hand to mouth). Today he told me that they're running out of work and have been warned that people will be let go soon if there's nothing that needs to be done. (This sort of thing has happened before, and they generally call in previous employees to come back when the work picks up, that is, if they haven't already moved on).

I was also told today by a friend who works at a garage that people are coming in off the street and begging to have some of their masks because they can't buy them anywhere. (I would have loved to be working there when I got asked that, to which I would reply our staff need the masks to keep from breathing noxious fumes while doing their job).

As for sales being low... I'm not really noticing much of a difference on the selling side. I suspect that the majority of my customers are pensioners who collect things and aren't worried about losing income from staying home. In fact, it might be fair to say some shopping has picked up as a result of my retired customers needing something to do indoors instead of heading outside.

On the buying side, I've noticed I'm getting some pretty decent deals on stamps and I've decided to start collecting again, so this will give me something to do.

I'm not sure what would happen if I were quarantined for 14 days from work (which work is imposing on an as needed basis, and we do have COVID-19 in our city, but the news report says it was immediately isolated, she arrived from Italy and got transported from the airport to our local hospital). The good news is, as long as people are injured and there are lawsuits, I think my job is pretty safe. Someone has to process all that legal paperwork.

C.

Message 5 of 136
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

I suspect that the majority of my customers are pensioners who collect things and aren't worried about losing income from staying home.

There are other ways "pensioners" are losing money other than "staying home." See my earlier post. If "pensioners" have retirement savings and/or investment accounts invested in the United States' stock market, they're losing money while sitting in their living rooms. If they aren't worried about losing income from investment accounts, they should be. People who are still earning an income have an opportunity to recoup loses from a declining market as they continue to earn wages. Retired people don't have an opportunity to replenish their investment accounts with earned income.

@sin-n-dex wrote:

The good news is, as long as people are injured and there are lawsuits, I think my job is pretty safe.

That might be the first time I've seen "people [being] injured" as "good news," but there it is. 

Message 6 of 136
latest reply

Hi, my sales have slowed. Hard to say why. Could be just the usual movement in a fluid marketplace, or a reaction to economic news. Could be simply no one is looking for my items. 

And although sales are slower, i am feeling minimal concern. Ideally, I save it to cope with situations as they arise.

So hang in there--things have a way of changing.

Best of luck to you.

Message 7 of 136
latest reply

@pburn wrote:
At the beginning of the year, January 2, 2020, the Dow closed at almost 29,000. Today, it closed at 25,000. For me, on paper anyway, that translates into a loss of $80,000. While you sell some really cute items, I'm just going to concentrate on buying groceries for awhile . . .

Recent statistics indicate 61% of eBay buyers are over 35. If those potential buyers aren't paying attention to their retirement accounts and reassessing their spending habits--at least for the near-term--they certainly should be.

Didn't worry about it in 2008, not worried about it now.  My philosophy is buy and hold, and I don't let market volatility knock me off my stride.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 136
latest reply

I don't think it is because of the Coronavirus.  eBay buyers have become tire kickers.  Too many want something for nothing + free shipping.  Glad I don't have to rely on this site & their annoying policies / fee structure to survive now.  I can take my time & find the right buyers.  Online and/or locally.  Good luck to all sellers.    🙂

Message 9 of 136
latest reply

Is Coronavirus affecting anyone

----------------------------------------------------------

Did it start spreading around April 2012?

Message 10 of 136
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Didn't worry about it in 2008, not worried about it now.  My philosophy is buy and hold, and I don't let market volatility knock me off my stride.

I didn't worry in 2000 or in 2008, either, because I had a bunch of years ahead of me before retirement. I knew I could continue to earn money to support myself and continue to contribute to my retirement accounts.

Are you retired? If so, do you have income other than your retirement accounts? Maybe you have rental property? eBay earnings? Income from a family trust fund?  Or are you still working at a wage-earning job, with some years to go before retirement?

I'm pleased for you that you didn't have to worry about the stock market losses in 2008. I'm pleased that a 15% stock-market decline doesn't have an affect on your income, like it might for a retiree. Speaking strictly for myself, I also like to remember that not everyone's "stride" is the same as mine, and that it's usually a good idea to keep in mind other people's circumstances rather than adopt a cavalier attitude to other people's financial situations.

Apologies to the OP for getting way off topic.

Message 11 of 136
latest reply

The only problem I've had is a buyer from Italy refused the parcel and now I'm waiting for it to be returned. His excuse was the virus and he said he no longer wanted the item. I can't wait to see what case they open soon.

Message 12 of 136
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I didn't worry in 2000 or in 2008, either, because I had a bunch of years ahead of me before retirement. I knew I could continue to earn money to support myself and continue to contribute to my retirement accounts.

Are you retired? If so, do you have income other than your retirement accounts? Maybe you have rental property? eBay earnings? Income from a family trust fund?  Or are you still working at a wage-earning job, with some years to go before retirement?

I'm pleased for you that you didn't have to worry about the stock market losses in 2008. I'm pleased that a 15% stock-market decline doesn't have an affect on your income, like it might for a retiree. Speaking strictly for myself, I also like to remember that not everyone's "stride" is the same as mine, and that it's usually a good idea to keep in mind other people's circumstances rather than adopt a cavalier attitude to other people's financial situations.

Apologies to the OP for getting way off topic.

I'm in my mid-60s, I just have good nerves.

And do not put words into my mouth.  

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 136
latest reply

I suspect that online sales may increase quite a bit overall with people afraid to go to large areas where people shop. Personally, I am staying away from any place with a lot of people including Walmart. I am beginning to order all my stuff online for pick up there so I do not need to be walking around touching everything and wiping myself with Lysol constantly.

Message 14 of 136
latest reply

From the reading I've been doing, online commodities sales are up, with some etailers struggling to fulfill orders quickly enough.  I wonder, though, if non-essentials will slow (wouldn't be surprised). The luxury market seems to be its own creature so who knows. I've had computer equipment selling briskly, for such a small player I've sold out a chunk of my stock. Sales of this have always been regular, but I had a real spurt selling to local addresses, and I know schools locally have been closed with students and teachers working online, as well as telecommuting - that's the only measurable, kind of sudden effect I've had.

Things are so volatile now, who knows what will happen next week.

TBH, I'm more concerned about the B&M businesses locally - a lot of sit-down restaurants, local shops and the like are experiencing real slow-downs which is tough on the owners and employees.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 136
latest reply