cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Fees = Fraud - No Transparency

I sold a camera on eBay. It was NOT listed for international sale. 

The buyer's shipping address is in the United States... and they purchased it using a Buy It Now option.

I was charged an international fee because the BUYER has a registered address outside the United States.

1) No where during the listing process does it mention an international fee potentially being charged for the buyer's registered address being out of the United States. 

2) I am not given an option to decline the sale to a buyer.

3) There is no way to know where a buyer's "registered address" is at any time during the transaction.

4) Who verifies that the registered address hasn't changed or needs updating compared to a shipping address.

5) Why would eBay allow for difference shipping/registered addresses. This leaves the potential for fraud wide open.

Unfortunately, this lack of transparency is what gets companies like this sued. I wonder how many others have been charged International Fees unknowingly for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: International Fees = Fraud - No Transparency

I use EIS and I've never experienced them automatically adding it to any of my listings. Instead of taking an extra 30 seconds to 1 minute to add it individually to all my new listings (when I am listing in mobile) I will list for a few days straight and then when I'm done I do a bulk edit on everything adding it to everything it allows me (also add volume pricing to everything). And then I manually take it off International shipping on few brands that I know are Vero problematic for shipping overseas.

EIS is definitely not all or nothing.

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

"What’s your point? The fact that it’s possible to have to pay a 3.3% fee still exists. "

My point is that you have posted, two times, the statement that eBay could charge an international fee of up to 3.3%.   People might believe you.  And you cited a link to eBay's policy and information pages where that fee is explained.  I gave what I hoped would be a briefer explanation of when that 3.3% international fee would apply.

My point is that the overwhelming majority of people who even casually look at this Selling board of the eBay Community will never, ever, ever be subject to a 3.3% international fee.  

"The fact that it's possible to have to pay a 3.3% fee still exists."  
Sure, I guess so.  Anything is possible.  
The fact that it is possible I could break a leg in a skiing accident still exists.  
The fact that it is possible I could vote for [name redacted] still exists.  

The fact that it is possible I could move to New Jersey still exists.  
The fact that it is possible I could move to Denmark or Norway or Switzerland still exists.  

But the probability of any of those truly possible things actually happening is very small, infinitesimally, microscopically, itsy-bitsily tiny.  

IF I should ever have the opportunity to move to Norway (the only one of any of the three nations and one state I mentioned that I might have any interest in moving to) and
IF I still find myself interested in selling things on eBay, only then will I ever have to worry about eBay charging me a 3.3% fee on any sales to a buyer in a nation other than Norway.   And that is in addition to whatever the final value fees are for sales by Norwegian eBay sellers.   

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

I use EIS and I've never experienced them automatically adding it to any of my listings. Instead of taking an extra 30 seconds to 1 minute to add it individually to all my new listings (when I am listing in mobile) I will list for a few days straight and then when I'm done I do a bulk edit on everything adding it to everything it allows me (also add volume pricing to everything). And then I manually take it off International shipping on few brands that I know are Vero problematic for shipping overseas.

EIS is definitely not all or nothing.

I looked at a few of your items and you are NOT using EIS you are using eBay international standard delivery which is different from EIS. With EIS it is ALL or nothing and eBay has confirmed that in a couple of responses in this forum. According to the EIS program when and if you do opt in. Given what you sell you ay also want to take note of the restrictions under EIS.

How it works

If you're eligible, you'll be opted into the program. eBay International Shipping will become your default shipping option and we'll automatically add eBay International Shipping to your current listings. You may need to manually update some listings to offer eBay International Shipping.

Due to export limitations and restrictions, items listed in the following categories also can't be shipped with eBay International Shipping:

• Any category or items containing Radium or other radioactive materials
  • Business & Industrial > Heavy Equipment & Attachments
  • Collectibles > Knives, Swords & Blades (over 4 inches)
  • eBay Motors > Airbags, Used Parts, AC Refrigerant
  • Electronics > Standalone Lithium Batteries (not inside or with a device)
  • Electronics > High-power Lithium Battery devices (over 100 watt-hour)
  • Health & Beauty > Fragrances (Flammable Perfumes & Cologne)

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for this information I had no idea that there was two programs with the same acronym. I have been assuming they are the same program. Crazy.

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

I'm trying to read about the differences and it seems like eBay international shipping is a new program to replace GSP. I then have to assume it's also more expensive for the buyer than eBay international standard.

When you do research about what are the main cons to using eBay international standard all I can find is that you have less coverage if they lose your package. I have found that when they lose a package and an INR is opened eBay will always close it without taking any money from me and they will still refund the buyer. I do not have to refund initially and then file a claim like everywhere seems to imply. Maybe it's because my items are not too expensive (under $50 usually).

Are there any other reasons that I am not finding that people avoid eBay international standard?

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

@sapphire_studio   FYI- here is the link for the chart comparing the 3 ebay int'l shipping methods

https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/sc/pdf/ebay-international-shipping-features-comparison-table.pdf

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for this! Here is a screenshot for people who don't want to download it. I have gotten eBay to completely cover all INR cases with eBay International Standard (so I dont agree with that point), but I definitely am intrigued by their apparent coverage for INAD cases. Apparently, you just direct the buyer to return the item, and once it gets back to the hub, eBay will refund them at no cost to you.

So if I want to enroll in this program it says I can't get invited unless I delete international shipping on all my items. I wonder how long it will take if I delete international shipping for them to invite me. That could be a lot of lost sales. 😕

Screenshot_20230124_122222_Drive.jpg

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

The whole system is bonkers, it doesn't matter whether a buyer is in the US or anywhere, the whole system is fraudulent, not because it is charged, but the totally opaque way it is calculated.

Firstly, when a buyer buys anything with a credit card, he pays a fee for all international transactions. The seller pays a disageo (fee) on every single transaction, regardless of where it happened (domestic or international). It only impacts EBay if you use PayPal, and shouldn't be more than 1.2%

Every auction house charges commission on the sales price. EBay charges commission on the sales price plus shipping, plus sales tax (?) Who is this sales tax going to, if an international transaction is taking place?

Every reputable seller will list (or charge) the actual shipping cost. If the seller takes the item to the post office, VAT (sales tax) will be paid on the shipping cost. And yet, EBay adds another sales tax to the total, and then at the end, local VAT is calculated and added again.  In many international transactions, the shipping can be more expensive that the actual items. Adding the shipping to the calculation, can mean that you may more fees than you actually receive for the item. I recently sold an item for 10USD, plus 18USD shipping. Payout after fees was 20 USD, so actual payout after paying the shipping was 2 USD.

There is now another  0.30 fee added as standard for every transaction. Why?

When an international shipment arrives, at some point, customs and sales tax become due, additionally to all the other fees. It just makes the item so expensive, that the buyer at some point will be turned off.

Of course the seller can add all the fees to the prices, but my guess is that EBay greed will turn off both buyer (too expensive) and seller (more profit for EBay than for the seller). How to kill a business.....

T

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply