cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insulting Buyer Vent

Hey, pro tip: if you're making lowball offers to buy something from an independent store, and the seller keeps declining your offers or countering them with a polite explanation, don't repeatedly ignore them and reply with, "I can get this book at B&N for $13, but I wanted to support you seeing as you're an independent seller." And then continue to make lowball offers.

Man, first of all, that's a lie. Books have this thing called an ISBN you can plug into Google. There, you can see the list price for every book with that number for sale on the internet, including Barnes & Noble. There's also a thing called "editions", so while you may be able to buy the current edition at a big brick and mortar store, it doesn't mean the first or second editions are the same price (or have the same content).

Second of all, how entitled?! I don't walk into places going, "Well, this item is going to be mine, so you'd better be grateful I'll offer you 30% of what you're asking for it. You may kiss my shoes now."

After the second or third offer, I knew they were going to expect their order to arrive with a complimentary plate of warm chocolate chip cookies and if I sold to them, it would be trouble. BLOCK. Nuh-uh.

Things have been slow this year, and I do not blame anyone for not buying expensive used/rare books. But the customers I do have are VERY happy. And my loves, you cannot act like that. Have a little respect for a fellow human being who works hard and is trying to supplement her income so she can buy groceries.

That's all! I guess I do have a question, though, because I know so many of you work so hard and still occasionally face this kind of treatment: How do you not take this personally? How do you detach yourself and forget about it?

Also, feel welcome to share your recent similar interactions.

PS: If you're going to say, "Well, you should have just accepted their offer! Our job as sellers is to become a carpet beneath our buyers' feet!", like, just don't. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Insulting Buyer Vent

I've been a bookseller for years and I must confess I loved your post!  Great writing and so true.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@macabrelibrarian wrote:

I have set automatic refusals at a certain amount...and then I get messages from buyers saying, "Why do you say you accept offers if you reject every offer I send to you?" 

And then I feel I have to explain that yes, I do accept offers, and sometimes pretty generously, but you can't just throw the lowest number you think of out there and expect sellers to accept it.

I've also seen many sellers who do not accept offers say that they receive messages from buyers anyway asking to haggle, and sometimes becoming confrontational. Some people just don't believe in boundaries.

You do not have to explain anything. 

You do not have to give anyone anything to confront. 

You are do not have to reply to every message you receive, because neither eBay policy nor common sense requires that you do. 

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

After the ignoring of my counter offer and them sending a second offer I would usually block them if they said what they said.  Then I move on with my day.  No harm done, they do it to everyone.  You can also just block them right away if you are not feeling it.  Sometimes I check their feedback left for others, my guess is that this person's feedback left for others is probably not great.  But sometimes I just go with my gut and block.  Then I move on rather quickly.  

Message 18 of 18
latest reply