cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insanely high prices.. Please explain.

I have come across a variety of items over the last few years that have ridiculous prices on them. Search for Southern Homewares 6 Pack Glass Stem for Redneck Wine Glass

as an example. Anyone know the reason behind this? I have thought that they are just typos but some sellers have multiple high priced items.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Listing place holders..

Listed for one specific person..

Crazy seller crossing fingers, praying somebody buys 'em??? 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 89
latest reply

That's a dropshipper with aaaaaaaaaaaaaaatrocious feedback who is out of stock and has raised the price to a ridiculous level to keep people from buying, instead of ending the listing.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 89
latest reply

There could be many reasons:
1) A seller wants to get the "sucker" that will pay his or her high price making them "THINK" it is a piece with value.
2) A Seller is making their items HIGH so they can get the first page of the search engine when people type in their product to get better views - and maybe they have "best offer" on the listings.
3) A seller (normally with a store) will jack up the prices in the store so he does not have to place the store on vacation and lose page placement or watchers while they are away.
4) People trying to create a "false Value" for their items in hopes that someone will buy them - I have seen this with trendy junk - Beanie Babies that the owners "wish" would be getting a $2,000 price tag so they advertise them with that high price in hopes to sucker a younger generation in thinking the trend is back again.
5) Or...........they have no clue and are just putting high prices on their stuff.
Message 4 of 89
latest reply

Image result for back button pictures

Message 5 of 89
latest reply

Why does it matter? You don't like the prices don't buy it.

Message 6 of 89
latest reply

Many of those sellers eventually come here blamming Ebay for lack of buyers. There is nothing you can do but skip them as most of those items have been sitting for years here on Ebay.

Message 7 of 89
latest reply

Some dropshippers do it, but it isn't a common thing with fragrances, which is some of the items I sell.  

Often time it is sellers of items that they regularly carry.  They have a vendor they regularly purchase from and they just ran out of stock.  When it has items purchased on the listing it is a boost in the search returns.  So in an effort to protect that, they just raise the price to a ridiculous amount until they can bring more stock in.  Once they get their new stock, they revise the listing to be a normal or acceptable price.

Sellers that do this are not trying to bait someone into purchasing at the extremely high rates, they are trying to protect their placement in the searches.  But lets say a buyer does purchase something for $600 that normally sells for $15, the buyer owns the most responsibility in doing that.  The seller didn't make them or expect them to purchase the item at that inflated amount.  The seller did nothing wrong.  The buyer however didn't do their job.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 89
latest reply

There is always one in every crowd eh rolenboy01? Replies like yours are exactly the reason why I don't come to the boards very often.
Message 9 of 89
latest reply

Thank you for all of the replies.  I do understand this a little better now.  This seller has over 40,000 items for sale and another I came across had about 540,000 items. Apparently there is no limit for some sellers?

Message 10 of 89
latest reply

Wow! I am somewhat of a news junkie but no I did not see any story about this. I always wondered if those that use the upper and lower case combinations in an item title were doing something illegal. Why would you type something like LOt oF 3 pURpLe wOMeNs SHirTS ? Maybe just trying to draw attention to the item? I won't even click on it.
Message 12 of 89
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

The OP was not complaining about the prices.  The OP simply came here to ask why sellers do this.  Fortunately, they were given several good responses. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 13 of 89
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

The OP was not complaining about the prices.  The OP simply came here to ask why sellers do this.  Fortunately, they were given several good responses. 

The reasons are immaterial.

Message 14 of 89
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

The reasons are immaterial.

That isn't true.  The OP was curious as to why any given seller would do this.  It isn't "immaterial" it was simply a question by someone that wanted to UNDERSTAND what would inspire someone to do this.  There is nothing "immaterial" about that.  Asking question is one of the main ways many of us learn something new.  Now of course if learning something doesn't matter, then maybe it would be "immaterial".

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 89
latest reply