cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insanely high prices.. Please explain.

I have come across a variety of items over the last few years that have ridiculous prices on them. Search for Southern Homewares 6 Pack Glass Stem for Redneck Wine Glass

as an example. Anyone know the reason behind this? I have thought that they are just typos but some sellers have multiple high priced items.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

Why does it matter? You don't like the prices don't buy it.

The OP was not complaining about the prices.  The OP simply came here to ask why sellers do this.  Fortunately, they were given several good responses. 

The reasons are immaterial.

The OP wanted to know, so it doesn't matter if you consider it to be immaterial.  

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 16 of 89
latest reply

I was once curious about this myself with a book that, while somewhat rare, was not completely out of reason. I think it was a first edition Georgette Heyer hardcover in very good condition -- with a price tag of nearly $900. Most of them were going for the $50-$75 range at that time. So I wrote the bookseller and asked what was so special about it -- wondered if maybe signed, but forgot to say so, or maybe owned by someone famous....turns out it was a typo by those doing the inputting for them and I was able to buy it for a very reasonable cost (closer to $25 as I remember).
Message 17 of 89
latest reply

I raised the prices on my listings to a point that no one would make a purchase when I had a situation where I was going to be unable to ship items for several days. I did not want to lose the listings.

Prices were raised to 3-5 times what they should sell for. Would do even higher, but eBay put a limit on how much I could raise them. Sudden limit because of all the changes as far as I could determine. Don't know my $$$ sellng limit on the account, but that was not the reason.

I had 1 person make a purchase of $78 on something I normally sell for $28. Buyer had no clue about the value of the item. Just needed it.

I contacted the buyer, and had them request to cancel so the I could relist at a reasonable price.

Message 18 of 89
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

The OP was not complaining about the prices.  The OP simply came here to ask why sellers do this.  Fortunately, they were given several good responses. 

That isn't true.  The OP was curious as to why any given seller would do this.  It isn't "immaterial" it was simply a question by someone that wanted to UNDERSTAND what would inspire someone to do this.  There is nothing "immaterial" about that.  Asking question is one of the main ways many of us learn something new.  Now of course if learning something doesn't matter, then maybe it would be "immaterial".

i totally agree with you.

i research something in order to list something i have and see similar items at some ridiculous high prices.

i can't help wondering why?

especially when most are not selling for even a tiny fraction of the price.

the only explanation i can see if some people do NOT research the average selling prices.

and just list at what they want to get.

it concerns me (often enough) that i end up listing my item really cheap.

not that long ago i read a post about 1 seller harassing another (both selling similar items) because his prices were lower.

can't understand why some are so ticked off about what the OP had to say?

IF it doesn't matter and the OP should just move on...

the same thing could be said about posters.

if you don't like a thread or think the topic/question doesn't matter, move on, don't even bother replying.

letoulousain
Message 19 of 89
latest reply

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

That isn't true.  The OP was curious as to why any given seller would do this.  It isn't "immaterial" it was simply a question by someone that wanted to UNDERSTAND what would inspire someone to do this.  There is nothing "immaterial" about that.  Asking question is one of the main ways many of us learn something new.  Now of course if learning something doesn't matter, then maybe it would be "immaterial".

i totally agree with you.

i research something in order to list something i have and see similar items at some ridiculous high prices.

i can't help wondering why?

especially when most are not selling for even a tiny fraction of the price.

the only explanation i can see if some people do NOT research the average selling prices.

and just list at what they want to get.

it concerns me (often enough) that i end up listing my item really cheap.

not that long ago i read a post about 1 seller harassing another (both selling similar items) because his prices were lower.

can't understand why some are so ticked off about what the OP had to say?

IF it doesn't matter and the OP should just move on...

the same thing could be said about posters.

if you don't like a thread or think the topic/question doesn't matter, move on, don't even bother replying.

The OP is just trying to understand the reasoning behind why a seller might do this.  I don't understand why anyone has a problem with someone that is merely trying to understand something.  Some are trying to make a big deal out of this or the complete opposite and dismiss it as being unimportant.  Neither of which is true.  The OP has every right to ask so they can better understand why someone might do this, the question really is why are some so put out about it.  That is what makes no sense.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 89
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

The OP wanted to know, so it doesn't matter if you consider it to be immaterial.  

The topic has been discussed here hundreds of times they could have easily found it without starting a new topic thus immaterial.

Message 21 of 89
latest reply

Could be that rare that the seller would think its worth that much.

Or as other posters have mentioned, a dropshipper that is out of stock.

Or, Terrorist money laundering.  There was an article i read the other day how terrorists were funneling money through ebay transactions and ebay shut them down after investigating.

Ask the seller if he is willing to negotiate.  You never know.

Message 22 of 89
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

The topic has been discussed here hundreds of times they could have easily found it without starting a new topic thus immaterial.

Then if we follow your logic, most threads are immaterial as there are countless repeat subjects.  Some old, some newer.  If this is something that bothers you about the threads, why participate?  There will always be subjects that repeat.  There are tons of threads starting off with: Why are my sales down, Ebay sided with a buyer on a claim, I got an undeserved negative FB, etc.  So do you hold the same opinion of those?

Message 23 of 89
latest reply

@r.c.p.b

Could be that rare that the seller would think its worth that much.

Could, but not the most common reason or reasons for doing this.

Or as other posters have mentioned, a dropshipper that is out of stock.

Yes along with many other types of sellers, not just dropshippers.  Sellers that have chosen not to use Ebay's OOS program or don't know about it.

Or, Terrorist money laundering.  There was an article i read the other day how terrorists were funneling money through ebay transactions and ebay shut them down after investigating.

Could be that too, however if this is the method they have chosen to use to sell stuff, they won't be selling much.  Most buyers are going to purchase something at these inflated prices.

I must say, I don't know how they would actually "launder" money by doing this unless the people purchasing are part of the terrorist group.  I've certainly hear of terrorist selling stuff here AND on other sites to raise money for their cause, but that isn't the same as "laundering".  Scary stuff either way, that is for sure!!

Ask the seller if he is willing to negotiate.  You never know.

It wasn't the OP's intention to want to purchase the item.  They were curious as to why a seller would do this.

Message 24 of 89
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

Except Lithium mods lock "old" threads.

The mere fact that there is more than one thread regarding this proves that it is not an immaterial question at all.

You might want to review the Discussion Board guidelines on respectful posting.

thx

Message 25 of 89
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

...I had 1 person make a purchase of $78 on something I normally sell for $28. Buyer had no clue about the value of the item. Just needed it.

I contacted the buyer, and had them request to cancel so the I could relist at a reasonable price.

Why??

Message 26 of 89
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

...I had 1 person make a purchase of $78 on something I normally sell for $28. Buyer had no clue about the value of the item. Just needed it.

Why??

I didn't even notice this post- and I have to ask why too.

*in an incredulous tone of voice*

Message 27 of 89
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

Then if we follow your logic, most threads are immaterial as there are countless repeat subjects.  Some old, some newer.  If this is something that bothers you about the threads, why participate?  There will always be subjects that repeat.  There are tons of threads starting off with: Why are my sales down, Ebay sided with a buyer on a claim, I got an undeserved negative FB, etc.  So do you hold the same opinion of those?

i couldn't agree more.

the OP was told;

if you don't agree with a price, move on... (not exact word but more or less).

so if some don't care for this thread, why don't they move on.

by some logic this board would be empty.

you forgot;

why can't sellers leave a neg?

who should leave FB first?

FB system is unfair.

ebay is not a safe place to sell (2 current threads going).

Free shipping is not free.

another stole my photos.

and etc... etc.. etc...

letoulousain
Message 28 of 89
latest reply

I've noticed in the category I shop in, that everything has gone WAY up in price and I get mostly diamond sellers when searching new BIN listings or 0 feedback sellers who you don't know if it's a scam.  No more sellers who are new sellers that list at a decent price.  Everything used or good used seems to be listed BIN at ridiculous prices.  You can't tell me that new sellers and listers know how to go to completed listings to see what items are selling for.

Something has changed.............in the last couple years

Message 29 of 89
latest reply

@thepeppertree62 wrote:

I've noticed in the category I shop in, that everything has gone WAY up in price and I get mostly diamond sellers when searching new BIN listings or 0 feedback sellers who you don't know if it's a scam.  No more sellers who are new sellers that list at a decent price.  Everything used or good used seems to be listed BIN at ridiculous prices.  You can't tell me that new sellers and listers know how to go to completed listings to see what items are selling for.

Something has changed.............in the last couple years

you would think that anyone selling on ebay would research before listing.

the proof is just on ebay.

(that they do research or just don't care).

especially in my categories; antiques and collectibles.

how many times have i read a thread by such sellers claiming sales are slow.

you check their items for sale and their prices are completely unrealistic.

can tell you i currently have an item for sale for under $15 (already didn't sell once) that another seller tries to sell for well over $50.

i am not talking about new sellers that have no clue or that have high expectations.

i am talking about long time sellers that should know better.

but the same trend goes on at antiques malls and fleamarkets.

many antiques/collectibles vendors are totally oblivious to the fact that prices have gone down the drain and that today is a buyer's market.

many think the right price is what they want and what it should be.

many still go by book value.

but again all this is just my opinion.

letoulousain
Message 30 of 89
latest reply