cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 2021 eBay will no longer allow the sale or purchase of Coins, Motor Vehicles, or Bullion

Managed Payments is to be fully implemented by 2021 requiring ALL Sellers to be enrolled. Among several Items that will NOT be allowed in te Managed Payment System, are, Coins & Paper Money, Motor Vehicles, and Bullion. Obviously, if sellers can't sell them, then there won'tbe any listed to purchase.... Dahh!

Message 1 of 259
latest reply
258 REPLIES 258

In 2021 eBay will no longer allow the sale or purchase of Coins, Motor Vehicles, or Bullion

Perhaps ebay is finding - has found - that there are, and could be more, drawbacks to being the 'Merchant of Record' for all transactions on ebay.  I can imagine that the legal team is busy.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 31 of 259
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Some States like MA (stupid puritans) do not allow shipping of alcohol. So wine would not work well through core eBay. We allow recreational pot but you can’t join a wine of the month club.

Come to think of it, it’s probably the stranglehold of the liquor store business not the old blue laws

Are you sure it's "some States"? USPS doesn't allow it at all to anywhere. UPS & FedEx do but require a special agreement and another pile of rules.

https://www.easypost.com/shipping-alcohol-with-usps-ups-and-fedex

This article indicates delivery from out-of-State is allowed in 44 States, 6 don't and MA is not on their list.

https://daily.sevenfifty.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-shipping-alcohol/

Message 32 of 259
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Some States like MA (stupid puritans) do not allow shipping of alcohol. So wine would not work well through core eBay. We allow recreational pot but you can’t join a wine of the month club.

Come to think of it, it’s probably the stranglehold of the liquor store business not the old blue laws

I wouldn't mind a 'bud of  the month' club ......

Message 33 of 259
latest reply

Humph - you can sell wine but not beer.  I OBJECT TO THAT.  We beer drinkers are always being snubbed, like we're a pack of louts.  ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)  So we guzzle beer at 10:00 a.m. standing in the rain after a half-marathon.  It's fluid replacement.

Hoptimum.jpeg

 ^^^^ Darned tasty. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 34 of 259
latest reply

wouldn't you think someone at eBay is looking at the fees for coins and paper money and thinking, OK, bad idea.  There is a lot of money  made in  Coins and Bullion.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 35 of 259
latest reply

It's a big reason why I personally don't think they're going to cut those categories out.  Either another payment pathway or some change in rulings or something, but I just can't see the site just letting go several very lucrative channels - this whole managed payments thing is really, if you consider it, almost in its infancy right now and really still developing. Only 20,000 sellers use it out of millions so it's got a ways to go.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 36 of 259
latest reply

What is eBay's  reason for eliminating sales in these categories.  I noticed that Trinton didn't  offer any explanation for the question

Message 37 of 259
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:

What is eBay's  reason for eliminating sales in these categories.  I noticed that Trinton didn't  offer any explanation for the question

For the same reasons that PayPal will not process payments for certain types of items. Now instead of PayPal it's Adyen who are running the back end who have the issue.

The real question at the moment is will these restrictions continue and if so what will eBay do to ensure these items can still be sold here. Obviously it's in everyone's interest to find a way to allow that but eBay are not going to publicly reveal what their plans are until there is a clear view of the future.

Message 38 of 259
latest reply

I'm really uncomfortable with the fact that eBay is unwilling to share more information on Managed Payments, even if all the bugs are not worked out.

Makes one wonder what is being hidden.

Message 39 of 259
latest reply

@momnpops wrote:

Managed Payments is to be fully implemented by 2021 requiring ALL Sellers to be enrolled. Among several Items that will NOT be allowed in te Managed Payment System, are, Coins & Paper Money, Motor Vehicles, and Bullion. Obviously, if sellers can't sell them, then there won'tbe any listed to purchase.... Dahh!

Seems like a pretty easy solution to their tax problems on those items, doesn't it?

Message 40 of 259
latest reply

@patd3283 wrote:

I'm really uncomfortable with the fact that eBay is unwilling to share more information on Managed Payments, even if all the bugs are not worked out.

Makes one wonder what is being hidden.

IMHO... its simple really.. these sellers will be shown the door like many others have been. 

If they're already restricting it then its only a matter of time until its gone. I'd start working out another sales strategy. 

Message 41 of 259
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@lightlily_arts wrote:

For the same reasons that PayPal will not process payments for certain types of items. Now instead of PayPal it's Adyen who are running the back end who have the issue.

The real question at the moment is will these restrictions continue and if so what will eBay do to ensure these items can still be sold here. Obviously it's in everyone's interest to find a way to allow that but eBay are not going to publicly reveal what their plans are until there is a clear view of the future.

Personally. I feel that ebay does have their 'clear view of the future' as to how they have it planned and that is why the don't publicly reveal it all in one swell foop.  I also think a great part of it is that ebay doesn't wish to be in the position of having 'liability' for certain types of transactions.  Being the 'merchant of record' for all transactions could put them in a hard spot, financially and/or legally, especially in today's world.  It is part of the price, and cost, of 'money'.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 42 of 259
latest reply

In some states stores like Total Wine can deliver alcohol to your house. They can’t do that here. MA has strange laws about alcohol. It’s not just the USPS.

Up until recently each store was only allowed 3 liquor sale licenses. Even stores like Stop and Shop and Walmart who have dozens of stores.

Message 43 of 259
latest reply

Not sure, we have just always done that and it has never been a problem.    We would not sell on ebay if we had to use their payment system, too many issues that I read about every time I visit these forums that we avoid.  

Message 44 of 259
latest reply

At this time we COULD use paypal as a payment method for wine sales, however we do not want to.   Using merchant credit cards takes ebay out of so much of the process and protects us from so many of the common issues I read about here. 

Message 45 of 259
latest reply