cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INR case, tracking shows delivered - Money on hold for 4-5 Business Days??

I had a buyer open a INR case yesterday. This buyer purchased the same item twice, one one day another the following day. Both items were sent via USPS Priority Mail and shows as delivered (first package on 12th, 2nd package on the 14th). Buyer also left feedback for the item opened INR case on as "A+ Seller".... 

On the case, buyer says they received one but not the other, they were away, further, say they "don't think they got the other" - again, tracking shows as delivered. I enter the tracking into the case, and explain tracking shows delivered for the item case opened + the 2nd item with tracking # in the comments. These kind of claims were always an open and shut case, tracking shows delivered, case closed in seller favor.  

I call ebay and they tell me case can't close, even though they agree ebay will hold my money for 4-5 biz days for the case to close. Kinda absurd for INR case where the tracking is proof buyer received the item(s). 

tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  why exactly can ebay not close this case and they hold my money for 4-5 days + another day to re-process those funds + another day to be paid out = A week - for a INR case where the tracking clearly shows as delivered + buyer feedback. 

I wrote in the case to buyer that tracking shows and they acknowledged tracking shows delivered and that my obligation was completed. Their issue is with USPS and possible mail theft in which they need to file a report with USPS and their local police dept  if in fact they didn't get packages/mail that was delivered while they were away. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 1 of 148
latest reply
147 REPLIES 147

Re: INR case, tracking shows delivered - Money on hold for 4-5 Business Days??

@katzrul15 wrote:

Your screen shot is June.  Interesting too that a "blue" quotes it to @nuclearomen today, but I cannot find it as it appears it was poofed.  As surmised - it has to be really recent.

(glad you could edit your name from from the above screenshot)

ETA: I thought I had replied to the blue in my previous post and did not - I meant for velvet@ebay to answer me as I was trying to see "where" they were pulling this from.

I believe they are getting it from the way the policy always was, and depends on how you interpret it, but once a case closed it would take approx 24 hrs for those funds to come off hold and enter "Processing" stage in MP, another 24 hrs for it to pay out, another 24 hrs for it to reach bank... that is 72 hrs total just for funds to be repaid to you and that is only if those funds release, process, and payout before Friday. 

velvet@ebay  however saying that the case would close in 24 hrs and the funds released. This instantly tells me that there is some kind of miscommunication happening within ebay currently due to either a policy change that was made to have the "system" handle the claim and that is set to a waiting time of 4-5 business days... reps told me that on Sep 2nd I could ask ebay to step in and then likely take another 24-78 hrs for ebay to "review" and close a case. This is  the problem. Because the time between case opened to case closed for a INR case where tracking verifies delivery is being handled in a way as INR where a package never arrived to buyer... allowing time for both seller and buyer to work out a resolve, if none is found then after the 4-5 business day seller can ask ebay to step in for resolve. These two INR case types are completely different and should be handled completely different, but someone within ebay decided to have them treated and handled the exact same way. In the mist of this, ebay seems to have made this change out of the blue very recently and seems purposely kept the information of the change away from sellers. No where, not anywhere is this policy change mentioned and no announcement was made to inform anyone. And seems, even ebay community employees don't even know what is going on, according to velvet@ebay answer today. Though she is correct, that is the way INR cases where tracking confirms delivery were always handled. But alas, it's now something like 90 hrs and the case is still open, no email has been sent from ebay about the closing of the case, my funds are still on hold. I have said it 100 times now on this thread and saying again, this is absurd for this type of INR case, buyer received the item, close the case and refund my money! 

Message 46 of 148
latest reply

@popblox wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

Money is money - I can fully understand why a Seller like yourself or @nuclearomen wants theirs.  Especially if you have a bunch of these, it has to almost be a FT job tracking what they owe you, when they owe it to you, is it delivered, is this closed without defect, etc etc.

You have more patience than I do.  It wore me out just typing that!!

I'm tearin up this thread like a toddler on Red Bull, but you make such a good point and I just have to beat it to death one last time (except probably not). 

Time is absolutely the whole of the problem with all of this - I genuinely don't give a flyin flip what the policy is at this point. It's the amount of time I spend just trying to figure it out to avoid a defect. One of the 2 INR issues I had was trying to just refund the buyer (when I didn't have to) and the system wouldn't even let me do that!

Thank you for listening 🤗

Sing it Sister, Sing it Loud!  

(I get it - all the chargeback claims wore me out.  Mentally, I was just stick a fork in me, done.  With all the INRs you have/have had, I think I would have waived the White Flag a long while back).

I really do think it is time that someone(s) at e-bay really "hears" how hard this job is some days and that there are Sellers out there, REALLY trying hard to color within the lines and make this work.  

But, dang......at some point, you gotta ask yourself why is this still something as a Seller I am willing to do, put up with, etc.  And Time really is money.   (sayeth Benjamin Franklin!!)

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 47 of 148
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

But, dang......at some point, you gotta ask yourself why is this still something as a Seller I am willing to do, put up with, etc.  And Time really is money. 

Because this is how we make a living, it isn't so simple to just say "OK, that's it, I'm f-n done!" when you have thousands of dollars in merchandise you need to move and rely on your sales to pay bills, creditors, eat, support family whatever... leaving ebay as a seller can be for some a process that takes time. 

Message 48 of 148
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

But, dang......at some point, you gotta ask yourself why is this still something as a Seller I am willing to do, put up with, etc.  And Time really is money. 

Because this is how we make a living, it isn't so simple to just say "OK, that's it, I'm f-n done!" when you have thousands of dollars in merchandise you need to move and rely on your sales to pay bills, creditors, eat, support family whatever... leaving ebay as a seller can be for some a process that takes time. 

Oh yes, I know this rodeo song well.  I do sell on the River though and work a FT job, so my situation is very different than yours.  But I also ate too much in fraud already this year and we're not yet to the magic months, where there is sure to be some waiting for us all.

I am to the point though that I either need to really commit to this site or put my energies and inventory alignment elsewhere.  I am thinking about doing some large bundle lots to move out some inventory and be done with it on here and focus more on my river canoe.  Listing here takes so much longer than other sites.  I only put 16 new listings up today on here and it took me over 4 hours to do those 16.  We added over 50 tonight in about an hour to the canoe catalog.  The item specifics are killing me and just a total time turnip.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 49 of 148
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

Your money is so pretty, they want to hold and admire it for a few days.

Message 50 of 148
latest reply

@gjs_16 wrote:

Your money is so pretty, they want to hold and admire it for a few days.

😀- You know, it probably IS just that simple!!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 51 of 148
latest reply

I think after reading Velvet@ebay’s response, is that there needs to now be a 24 hour? Hold on these when a customer files these. Reason, if there is a problem with the delivery.  So, if a package is delivered are we saying that perhaps not all delivered packages are delivered to the right recipient as with packages that get somehow screwed up by the postal service and placed into someone else’s receptacle. Or maybe a customer saying a porch pirate stole their item, which if that is the case, here we will be with yet another major risk factor in selling here. I certainly hope it is just a pause to investigate the package that WAS DELIVERED.

Message 52 of 148
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

Oh yes, I know this rodeo song well.  I do sell on the River though and work a FT job, so my situation is very different than yours.  But I also ate too much in fraud already this year and we're not yet to the magic months, where there is sure to be some waiting for us all.

I understand completely, every seller has different situation. I do not work another job, this is my job. And xmas hasn't really been issue for me in the past, last year I had one item that didn't show up to buyer, it did, 2 months later, priority mail, which I refunded and buyer sent item back to me (actually just refused it from USPS and made them send it back). But with ebays newest changes in policies and claims and charge backs running wild, idk, it's going to e an interesting "season" on ebay...and it's all 100% ebays fault. 

I am to the point though that I either need to really commit to this site or put my energies and inventory alignment elsewhere.  I am thinking about doing some large bundle lots to move out some inventory and be done with it on here and focus more on my river canoe.  Listing here takes so much longer than other sites.  I only put 16 new listings up today on here and it took me over 4 hours to do those 16.  We added over 50 tonight in about an hour to the canoe catalog.  The item specifics are killing me and just a total time turnip.

16 items? I don't do more then 1-3 at a time. I admit I'm not that excited or motivated on ebay anymore.

Message 53 of 148
latest reply

On the flip side there have been sellers sending DELIVERED packages to someone other than the actual buyer to a grocery store in the same person’s zip code, and sending a trinket to them instead of the 1,000.00 purchase. I suppose those need about 24 hours to investigate.

Message 54 of 148
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

..basically all that is copy and paste code they already have in operation. 

Ok but in all fairness, sloppiness is at the root of the problem...

We're talking these people would copy and paste Perl into C++ or some such...

Message 55 of 148
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 
...and if you read what I wrote in various replies, ebay shouldn't be questioning the carriers tracking. Tracking says delivered, it was delivered. Anything beyond that is no longer ebay's nor the sellers obligation, it is now the buyers. If a package was delivered to wrong address it's the buyers responsibility to contact carrier and have the package retrieved and deliver to them (yes, carriers do this, they typically know where the package went from driver or post man, they will show up to that location with police if have to to retrieve package that was wrongly delivered). If a package was stolen and mail tampered with that is a federal offense and buyer should file a claim with carrier and local police and it then is the responsibility of police and carrier to run investigations and deal with the issue. If a buyer knows they will not be home for a purchase delivery they make it's their responsibility to arrange mail to be held by carrier, arrange to have family, neighbor, friends... pick up and hold mail for them till they return. It is NOT sellers responsibility for any of these situations. It is not ebays responsibility for any of these situations, nor does ebay have the right to refund buyers for these situations. Seller's obligation ends when package tracking states delivered. 

Message 56 of 148
latest reply

@gjs_16 wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

..basically all that is copy and paste code they already have in operation. 

Ok but in all fairness, sloppiness is at the root of the problem...

We're talking these people would copy and paste Perl into C++ or some such...

lol... i said as sarcasm, only idiot would copy and paste coding. 

Message 57 of 148
latest reply

@nuclearomen 

...from the beginning of my selling in here, none of my INR cases were closed in 24 hours...that statement must be made from a fantasy land...

...you sold, you shipped, the package was delivered...your duty as a seller was fulfilled...that package got lost, mis-delivered, was stolen by porch pirates, etc...none of these are seller's responsibility...did the seller join USPS mail carrier the day of delivery...sitting at the buyer's front door or porch to guard the package until buyer gets home...being at buyer's local PO on time to remind postal clerks to hold the package because buyer is on vacation but didn't bother to submit "Vacation Hold" request...are our sellers becoming buyer's babysitting...???

...sellers are held accountable for buyers irresponsibility...(per eBay's policies)...that does amuse me...!!!

Message 58 of 148
latest reply

Well I do worry that this would give a reason for buyers to claim not received when they did not fulfill their part in making sure that the package was retrieved by them before someone stole it off their porch, neighbor picked it up etc etc. This would be a very very bad situation with a persistent problem requiring that all packages have signature tracking to ensure a documented case of delivery. This is troubling to say the least and needs more clarification from Ebay. I would appreciate a reply from someone on Ebay on this particular aspect of the 24 hr hold. I am not going to ship expensive items which are a big part of our business without protection from this type of situation. It is one of the few protection we have.

Message 59 of 148
latest reply

Our shipping costs are already sky high becuase  we use Fed Ex Express to insure that people are getting their items in an extremely fast and reliable manner. Having to tack on an addition 5 or so bucks for ALL packages to have signature tracking is yet another big monthly expense here. Now with Christmas approaching there will be I believe another postal slowdown if COVID cases continue to rise and USPS looses some of their work force due to absenteeism etc. There go the INR cases again like last year if this happens. Be prepared people.

Message 60 of 148
latest reply