cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INR Buyer Made Unreasonable Request WITH CAPS!!!!!!

Need some help here.

Buyer contacted me October 24th to say that her item was not delivered.  Tracking shows delivered on September 29th. I emailed buyer the tracking (ebay uploads automatically anyway) and did confirm address sent to. Buyer emails me back to say this "I STILL HAVE NEVER RECEIVED THIS ITEM!!!!! I don't care if it shows it was delivered. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED IT!! Please replace and have me sign for it when it comes. Thanks."

Signature for an 8 dollar item is not happening. Regardless, I am not inclined to send a replacement.  I ship with tracking so I don't have to go through events like this. 

I have not written her back yet since she wrote me last night. 

Any thoughts on how to respond back? 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: INR Buyer Made Unreasonable Request WITH CAPS!!!!!!

I would either not respond, or tell her that tracking shows delivered, you did everything you could, so if she thinks it was stolen or improperly delivered she needs to contact her postmaster general.
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

@annasunicorns wrote:
I would either not respond, or tell her that tracking shows delivered, you did everything you could, so if she thinks it was stolen or improperly delivered she needs to contact her postmaster general.

Thanks for the input. I am inclined to not respond back for the simple reason that I was yelled at.  I'm human too.

I think my first email will suffice. 

🙂

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

First, your customer si probably telling the truth ... she hasn't received it.  That doesn't mean it hasn't been delivered.

My standard response to an Item Not Received:

Good morning/afternoon/evening,
I am sorry that you are having difficulty locating your package. The package that was sent was [describe what package looks like].

To help you locate the package, there are some common things to first check.

1. It is possible that the postal carrier left your item in a secure location. Check to see if your package (1) was left in a package room in your building, (2) was left with your building's management office, (3) was left in a garage or by a side/rear door, or (4) was left with a neighbor.
  2. It is also possible that someone else in your household saw the package, or put it somewhere.  So, be sure to check with others in your household and ask if they've seen the package that I've described above.

If you are still unable to find it after checking these possibilities, I would be happy to check with the USPS and get more details about the delivery of the package, to ensure it was properly delivered to your home.  Let me know.

Sincerely,

Seller

If they are still unable to locate it, they should file an Item Not Received claim.  You are protected by eBay if the package was indeed delivered ... upload tracking to the case.  You can, of course, refund if you want, or just let the case close in your favor.

Personally, for low cost items, I refund or replace ... and I report the user as claiming a package not received when tracking shows it was actually received, just in case this buyer is using this as a common tactic (I don't assume they are, but just in case).

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

You want to advise buyers to file a claim against the seller?  WHY?

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 5 of 40
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

First, your customer si probably telling the truth ... she hasn't received it.  That doesn't mean it hasn't been delivered.

My standard response to an Item Not Received:

Good morning/afternoon/evening,
I am sorry that you are having difficulty locating your package. The package that was sent was [describe what package looks like].

To help you locate the package, there are some common things to first check.

1. It is possible that the postal carrier left your item in a secure location. Check to see if your package (1) was left in a package room in your building, (2) was left with your building's management office, (3) was left in a garage or by a side/rear door, or (4) was left with a neighbor.
  2. It is also possible that someone else in your household saw the package, or put it somewhere.  So, be sure to check with others in your household and ask if they've seen the package that I've described above.

If you are still unable to find it after checking these possibilities, I would be happy to check with the USPS and get more details about the delivery of the package, to ensure it was properly delivered to your home.  Let me know.

Sincerely,

Seller

If they are still unable to locate it, they should file an Item Not Received claim.  You are protected by eBay if the package was indeed delivered ... upload tracking to the case.  You can, of course, refund if you want, or just let the case close in your favor.

Personally, for low cost items, I refund or replace ... and I report the user as claiming a package not received when tracking shows it was actually received, just in case this buyer is using this as a common tactic (I don't assume they are, but just in case).

Thanks! This may be my next option - to reiterate the delivery confirmation and offer associated help.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

You want to advise buyers to file a claim against the seller?  WHY?

First, it is up to the seller as to whether or not they want to inform the buyer of doing an INR.  For me, I don't prey off (or take advantage of) the ignorance/incompetence of others.  It is just my ethic.

As I wrote, I tend to go ahead and take care of the customer with a refund or replacement (it depends on the item, the customer, etc.), so that the whole INR doesn't get started in the first place ... but that's just me.

Second, should a buyer file an INR, the seller is protected if tracking shows it delivered ... and, if the buyer objects, then eBay sometimes gives out courtesy refunds to buyers who can't locate their packages (they probably won't do this if the buyer has multiple claims, however).

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

After I've reminded the buyer that tracking (Which I paid for and is intended to avoid situations just like this) shows the item has been delivered.

I'd be done. No more communication until she filed a claim.

I wonder if she has yelled at anybody from her own family who might have the item or if she yelled at anybody from the USPS..

Bet not on both counts.
Message 8 of 40
latest reply

Have them check next door or block away even- delivery has been bad.
Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Postmaster has GPS showing exactly where they scanned and placed the package. Either of you can ask for details at the post office and find out within inches where it went. First thing you do is BLOCK this buyer, so they cant do it again. Then hit the report this buyer button. As long as you do this first, your protected. Dont sweat it. Anyone who says send them another package are the exact folks who are perpetuating this scam and letting it continue.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

@mightymouse70 wrote:

Postmaster has GPS showing exactly where they scanned and placed the package. Either of you can ask for details at the post office and find out within inches where it went. First thing you do is BLOCK this buyer, so they cant do it again. Then hit the report this buyer button. As long as you do this first, your protected. Dont sweat it. Anyone who says send them another package are the exact folks who are perpetuating this scam and letting it continue.

Amen to this.    

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

@rockbottomvalues wrote: ... . I am inclined to not respond back for the simple reason that I was yelled at.  I'm human too.

I think my first email will suffice. 

I have to agree.  Even without the yelling/caps, her comment/demand was unreasonable, and you can't reason with an unreasonable person. So much time has elapsed, it's even possible that she received the item and forgot, or has you confused with another seller.  Be sure to put her on your BBL.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

@mightymouse70 wrote:

Anyone who says send them another package are the exact folks who are perpetuating this scam and letting it continue.

It is not a scam if the buyer didn't get their product (e.g., the USPS misdelivered or there was a porch poacher).  How would you know?  If a buyer is a long-term eBay customer with a lot of purchases, I tend to believe that they actually didn't get their item ... particularly if it is something that is inexpensive.

Sorry if you feel that this is perpetuating a scam.  I don't see it that way.  I think it is taking care of a customer.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

You can contact her local post office and speak to somebody there about her missing package ~ they will alert the carrier. She may not know she can do this or she may have no desire to, but in either case you are providing exemplary customer service because you are going above and beyond. I'd respond to her with your course of action and advise her to speak to the postal carrier as well.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

@mightymouse70 wrote:

They may indeed have GPS information, but have you ever filed a tracking claim?  I did my first one and 6 weeks later I do not have a resolution from the USPS ...

Message 15 of 40
latest reply