cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**IMPORTANT** Be Aware of Webinterpret Promo via eBay Message - September 2018 **IMPORTANT**

Thanks to 2 threads started early May, 2018 regarding this 3rd Party App:  

1) https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Beware-of-Webinterpret-s-scam-that-ebay-is-allowing/m-p/284516...

by bigdeals.etc may 4th, 2018

2) https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Webinterpret-almost-Scam/m-p/28934269#M1280566

by studiorginal on May 6, 2018

Many of us were able to have a headsup on the ?workings? of this application. 

I thought with the 2 threads + the amount of discussions, including the fact the Blues were called to weigh in on this 3rd party application - that the 'fiasco' would be over. 

However, much to my surprise - the following "Promo" was found in our eBay inbox. (Photos attached for reference).

I quickly went to the Site Preference and true enough: Under Third Party Authorizations:

the Webinterprets tokens were there.  I've since REVOKED those tokens.

This morning, I've rechecked the site preference - No Webinterprets tokens were found. 

To those who have yet to encounter this Webinterpret - Please catch up on those 2 threads to self-educate

yourself about this 3rd party app.

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Webinterpret Promo via eBay MessageWebinterpret Promo via eBay MessageWebinterpret Promo via eBay messageWebinterpret Promo via eBay message

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: **IMPORTANT** Be Aware of Webinterpret Promo via eBay Message - September 2018 **IMPORTANT**

How are you creating and managing your listings off of Ebay?
Message 46 of 71
latest reply

Re: **IMPORTANT** Be Aware of Webinterpret Promo via eBay Message - September 2018 **IMPORTANT**

Re: managing listings off ebay, there are a number of tools that allow sellers to do this.  The one I use is more friendly to sellers of pre-owned items than any out there (I've tried over 20). 

Most tools are built for drop-ship sellers that sell thousands of products a day and need order management and fulfillment support that communicate back to the correct product warehouse.  Since that didn't fit our business we needed a different and unique solution.  The tools that work best for your business depend on your needs.  

Message 47 of 71
latest reply

Still no contact from ebay on this.  

Now, ebay has taken the step to promote webinterpret at login, so after entering your username/password, you get the webinterpret promo screen with a "continue" button.  I did not click on that afraid that might auto-enroll us again!

This is outrageous.  What is ebay doing?

Message 48 of 71
latest reply

I have never heard of this.  As a very low volume seller who never ships outside the US, is it something I need to be concerned about?

Anyone who thinks that money can't buy happiness has never paid a shelter pet's adoption fee
Message 49 of 71
latest reply

@bassileid5

On another thread regarding Webinterpret back in May of this year, alan@eBay acknowledged that eBay was aware of the one-click enrolment and confirmed that it was an error. It is now OCTOBER and yet this so-called "glitch" has not been fixed. In fact, eBay has created more links to Webinterpret enrolment, except now they have removed the name WEBINTERPRET entirely to mask the notorious scam of a company behind this deal. 

TO ALL SELLERS: You may have noticed that eBay has doubled-down recently on there criminal partnership with Webinterpret by installing a link to enroll with Webinterpret right in our SELLER HUB page. DO NOT CLICK ON THAT. CALL EBAY AND DEMAND THEY REMOVE THAT LINK FROM OUR SELLER HUB! EVEN AN ACCIDENTAL CLICK OF THAT LINK WILL ENROLL YOU IN THE WEBINTERPRET PROGRAM OF WHICH IT IS NEAR-IMPOSSIBLE TO OPT-OUT!

Message 50 of 71
latest reply

@bassileid5

One-click enrolment means that eBay is selling our private information to Webinterpret. Plain and simple.

Since none of us ever had to wilfully input our personal information to enrol in Webinterpret's program, this means that they obtained our information through eBay. 

What do you have to say to this illegal sale of our private information?

Message 51 of 71
latest reply

@ghost-star wrote:

@bassileid5

One-click enrolment means that eBay is selling our private information to Webinterpret. Plain and simple.

Since none of us ever had to wilfully input our personal information to enrol in Webinterpret's program, this means that they obtained our information through eBay. 

I'm sure that ebay would say that when you agreed to the UA, you agreed to the sharing of your information with their partners.

@bassileid5It seems that there aren't any posts of late to update the situation regarding Webinterpret problems? 

As you seem to have been appointed spokesperson, will there be any further input from ebay?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 52 of 71
latest reply

@gracieallen01

gracieallen01 wrote: 

"I'm sure that ebay would say that when you agreed to the UA, you agreed to the sharing of your information with their partners."

What you said would be correct IF you could cancel membership to Webinterpret through eBay. However, there is no way to opt out of Webinterpret through eBay, and eBay customer support agents and supervisors, including account managers, have readily admitted to their inability to end Webinterpret enrollment. 

If eBay is indeed "partnered" with Webinterpret, then they probably have a clause in their user agreement that allows for the sharing of our information. However, a partnership of this kind requires a one-stop support system, meaning that anyone should be able to opt OUT of Webinterpret through eBay, just as they were able to opt IN through eBay. 

By not allowing members to opt out of Webinterpret through eBay, it becomes clear that eBay's relationship with Webinterpret is not a true partnership in any way. Therefore, eBay is SELLING our information to an outside entity (i.e. Webinterpret). 

@bassileid5 Would love (absolutely love) to hear your take on this.

Message 53 of 71
latest reply

@ghost-star

I agree with all you stated.  However, for it to apply, someone would have to cause ebay, as it has not happened voluntarily, to adhere to the customs of such an agreement.  Therefore, ebay will say, unless challanged, that it is in the UA that one and all agreed to.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 54 of 71
latest reply

I never saw that silly thing. I try to avoid all of the ebay gimmicks
Message 55 of 71
latest reply

@bosmingfarg

Nearly all of the eBayers complaining about Webinterpret are seasoned sellers. This is because Webinterpret's purported service is designed to grow international sales for sellers who already have somewhat of an international presence. 

The reason seasoned sellers have been duped into enrolling in Webinterpret's horrific program is not through carelessness or a failure to "avoid gimmicks." It is very plainly due to eBay's willingness to deceive. There is no enrollment page for Webinterpret. There are merely ads with a single-line promotion claiming that there is a way to boost international sales. Once you click on that ad to get some detailed information regarding this purported sale-booster, YOU ARE INSTANTLY ENROLLED IN THE PROGRAM.

This is the main reason people have an issue with Webinterpret and eBay's promotion of them. The other issues are that it is near-impossible to cancel your Webinterpret membership, and Webinterpret doesn't really provide any service. They simply Google translate everything, regardless of how poor those translations are. 

Message 56 of 71
latest reply

Mostly True ^^^ but I had no issues cancelling.  Their support gave me direct number to my ' appointed account executive". Turned off sync immediately upon request. 

This system is really made just for new sellers, new listings or those just starting selling international.  The adoption period is a disaster for establiished sellers with established items internationally already. 

It replaces your item listings overseas with new ones. No watchers/sales/views.  And you lose  international followers on your main listings .  So this has a double ' bad effect' . Your main items lose  rankings   and the new ones have absolutely none.

Then they also add ' does not ship to USA' on the international versions. So people cannot buy as gifts to American friends of family. Or if buying for yourself while on travel overseas.  Not really ideal considering Christmas is coming.  This was their method to avoid ' true duplicates" I guess. 
It also seems to rely on seller to have only about 1/5th of there seller limit used or less.  Anything more is high potential for maxing the limit out as happened to us.  Luckily ebay was nice to help raise limit some and web interpret reduced quanities that synced, but the damage was already done.

When limit was hit, items that renew on cycle failed, ending them. Losing history, watchers/ views on them all. 

Message 57 of 71
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@theclothingvault wrote:

Has anyone heard back from ebay on this?  

Been over a week since my last message and nothing, despite promises from ebay to contact all those affected.

And I'm getting regular annoying emails from webinterpret with fake links to unsubscribe, get help, or contact them.  The links all point to the same address, so I'm assuming clicking on any of them would just re-authorize their spammy app.  

@

Hi, sorry for the page, but could you help this poster with his Webinterpret issues?  Thank you very much!

Hi Castlemagicmemories, 

Hi theclothingvault, 

Apologies for my late reply. I've been away the past few weeks and just returned. 

Sorry the hear about the issues you have been having with the promotion. You are welcomed to opt out anytime you like. Just go to this link and put in your request - https://app.webinterpret.com/submit-request/

Please let us know if you face any issues. Feel free to reach out personally by private message if needed. Thanks guys!

Bassil

Message 58 of 71
latest reply

@ghost-star wrote:

@bassileid5

Hi ghost-star, 

Apologies for the experience you have had. This is not our intention. 

Sellers consent to sharing data only when they click on "Sign Up" on our landing page. https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/Webinterpret.html?_trkparms=clkid%3D6630351417263172321%20%20

The vendor should not have access to the data any other way. Hope this clarifies. Apologies again for any confusion here. 

Bassil

Message 59 of 71
latest reply

Bassileid5,

Does the link you just posted have the BLIND AUTO-Enroll feature? I am afraid to click on it, because in the past webinterpret links always had BLIND AUTO-Enroll feature.

Please let me know,
Bruce "ImaPaqRat" Fisher
Message 60 of 71
latest reply