cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think some sellers really need to learn to use "best offer" better.

I made a $8.00 offer on a $8.99 item I have been watching.

I didn't consider it a "lowball" offer.

My offer was auto-denied.

That's fine. No problem.

I bought one from someone else. There are literally thousands of them on ebay.

The next day I received an offer from the same seller for the same item for $7.64.

I am currently contemplating a sarcastic reply.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: I think some sellers really need to learn to use "best offer" better.

My best offer pet peeve currently is not on eBay, it’s a real estate situation where I’m getting absolutely at my wits end dealing with low ball offers.  I have the property listed at $110,000; Thursday someone called me and offered $12,000.  I started laughing.

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

I think sellers shouldn't be able to do best offer unless it is 10% off or more auto-deny. I offered someone 20 on a $21 item and got denied. His reasoning was the item was reasonably priced, and it was the best price on Ebay, but why do you have best offer if you can't even take 5% off?

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

After hearing about his offer to you, I feel certain there was an error made when he probably did a 'sell similar' & forgot to switch a price.  There are times when I listed a lot of similar items & did not have to change part of the title or S/H, etc. then realized I made an error & had to go back to revise about 15 listings.  😞   lol

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

I have learned over time to not even waste time making offers.    Even worse are the offers you get from putting an item on your watch list.  Yea, they discount a few cents.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

I wouldn't call not wanting to pay full price on a "make offer" listing madness.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

Also, I once discovered one of my listings had best offer enabled by mistake (whether it was ebay or my mistake). You what I did? I disabled it.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

That's fine. No problem.

The next day I received an offer from the same seller for the same item for $7.64.

Sounds like you were dealing with a seller that has set up their listings to 'accept' best offer, then put 'parameters' on those offers and then offered you less...so that seller is simply a person that the elevator just does NOT make it to the top floor......

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

That's a bit ridiculous. Having BO on while it's set to deny a 20-dollar offer on a 21-dollar listing. That seller just wants to have the feature on for some reason but not let anyone actually use it.

For the OP, I have a feeling he capped it at 10% so if your offer was $8.09 it probably would have been accepted. He probably had auto accept on, and put his auto decline right under it so he wouldn't have to deal with pending offers.

Sellers can do what they want, his offer settings made him miss the sale. 

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

@glorybells wrote:

My best offer pet peeve currently is not on eBay, it’s a real estate situation where I’m getting absolutely at my wits end dealing with low ball offers.  I have the property listed at $110,000; Thursday someone called me and offered $12,000.  I started laughing.

How often does that happen in real estate where you actually get lowball offers like that? I mean doesn’t the seller has to fill out all these forms to formally submit an offer? I know I did every time I put an offer on a house I wanted when I was on the market recently. Lowball offers would be a waste of time for the buying agent.

I ask because when I listed my old house for sale, I got about 15 offers all above my asking price. Isn’t the selling market hot right now?

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I understand negotiating an $80 item, but $8 knowing what sellers have to do for that $8, we need to support sellers and not take advantage of them.

How is it "taking advantage of" if the seller has Best Offer enabled? That to me says that they want the item gone and are willing to take less for it in order to get it out of there. I would never pay full price for an item that was listed with Best Offer, just as I wouldn't expect a buyer to want to pay full price if *I* listed something with Best Offer.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

I completely agree.  I too have had this happen.  As a buyer it is extremely frustrating.  They system just really should not allow for this to happen at all.  They need to put some guardrails on the program IMHO.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

That's fine. No problem.

Perhaps eBay has been adding Best Offer to his listings without his permission, as they have been known to do - so he set up auto-decline to combat offers because he did not want to deal with unsolicited offers.

And the offer you got was the result of the Send Offer feature, which is how that seller prefers to handle offers.

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

@glorybells wrote:

Where I am, homes were selling comfortably over asking price for awhile. They may still be. My sister-in-law put her house up for $750,000 and was shocked at a lowball of $900,000. It sold for $1.2 million. 

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

That was certainly not the case in my experience.  I wrote to the sellers that did this.  It was because they wanted pennies below their asking.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 33
latest reply

In my opinion, you offer was very acceptable! I would have no problem, and would be happy to take your offer, however, many times I will received offers less than half my asking price. That is unacceptable, and not worth my time. For that reason; I revert back to fixed price to avoid being insulted.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply