cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think it's over for me (Christmas shipping)

It was a busy week of mail but few orders now. I sell books and it's just as well because media  mail might no longer make it, and only a few people pay for Priority.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I send Media, but I can upgrade mine to First Class for 14 cents more.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

I sell an occasional book or two and often use First Class if they are light enough and will use the FR pasteboard envelope for larger heavier books and up the price of my books a couple bucks and charge like it was going Media.  Most are surprised they get it quickly.  It is rare that I use Media Mail.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

It was a busy week of mail but few orders now. I sell books and it's just as well because media  mail might no longer make it, and only a few people pay for Priority.

I'm pulling all my listings down tonight.

I'll start up again on Boxing Day. 

I'm a hobby seller and Christmas is not a busy time anyway. 

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

You are most likely correct but not many probably shop for used books for Christmas anyway.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Funny I just made my first sale in almost 2 months. Never expected any. 

Robin

RRR
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Ah.....give it time - come the 24th - you'll get that one bid and the person that wants it shipped for Christmas.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

You are most likely correct but not many probably shop for used books for Christmas anyway.

Very true. It's fun to speculate but except for the Priority books it's very hard to know if they are given away. There have been people from time to time who told me their books were gifts despite being ex-library, etc, due to being out of print. 

Most of my books are too heavy for first class but that is something I can keep in mind.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

I'm putting my store on vacation tomorrow so I can enjoy the holidays with my family.   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@keziak,

I shut down on Monday so there is time for my priority items to make it to their destination.  My BIN items will relist on Dec 24, 6:30pm PDT and my auctions restart on Sat, the 22nd at the same time.  So far I have only had 1 BIN bought on Christmas Eve in 5 years of doing a short shut down.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

What's the point of pulling all your listings now, only to put them back on Boxing day whatever that is? Many people are off work this time of year and have more time at home to be on the computer. They could be passing the time browsing online and miss your items.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I sell anything and everything so I don't ever really shut down but I can see why you as a book seller would, I sold a few collectible type vintage/antique books recently I assuming they could be gifts as they were sitting for years.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

What's the point of pulling all your listings now, only to put them back on Boxing day whatever that is? Many people are off work this time of year and have more time at home to be on the computer. They could be passing the time browsing online and miss your items.

1) To spend time with our OWN families and enjoy the holiday

2) Because we are travelling to see family for the holidays

3) Because last minute shoppers will be upset when their item does not arrive in time for Christmas.

Pick one (or all)

Hubby and I leave Sunday to visit Mom and Bro and will be back in town on the 22nd ... but those next 3 days will be spent sharing the Holiday with friends and family that are nearby.

The store will go on vacation this evening and the last shipping will go out tomorrow. I will open back up on the 26th.

Life/Work balance is a GoodThing 🙂

🎅

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

HAHA, so you actually expect to sell something during that time period? I'm happy if one or two of my listings sell in a month. You can alway put a note in your listings that you will be out of town and won't ship until Dec. xx, or put your shipping time to 10 days.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

I've been closing down the week before Christmas ever since I have been on ebay for all the reasons penguin mentioned except I won't need to travel this year, but I will be making my Christmas phone calls catching up with distant family and friends this weekend.  

I have one account just for books which I opened during the summer - all the listings ended last week. 

On my two store accounts the few remaining listings will end this weekend.  I have saved all my  250 December fixed price store listings for Dec 24-Dec 31, and I have been creating drafts of new listings and reviewing old listings when I have time during December.     Since the family is getting together for Christmas Eve brunch (so everyone can watch the Sunday football games) followed by a seafood broil dinner which I skip, and Christmas Day breakfast this year - I'll have my evenings free to list.  

January and February are usually good months for selling books and things like fabric.  For sports I wind up the NFL stuff in January,  concentrate on college sports thru March madness, and start up NASCAR items again in mid-February.    Other collectibles really don't have a season unless they are holiday oriented, but most just don't sell well from Thanksgiving thru Christmas. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply