cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sold a diamond ring

I sold a Tiffany & CO platinum diamond ring. Tiffany & Co Etoile Platinum Diamond Pave Engagement Ring(233223575709)

I do have the original certificate. Someone bought the ring for $3600. In my terms of auction i wrote the the buyer needs to have at least 30 postive feedbacks on Ebay. The person who bought the ring has only one feedback, its positive. The buyer paid immediately through pay pal.

I messaged them and a person replied that his wife bought the ring but she is Korean and doesn't speak English. The live in Hawaii. 

I called ebay and they told me this buyer bought another piece of jewelry for 2,000 on ebay and thats what the one positive feedback is for.

I am afraid to lose the ring and the money. Should I ship the ring or cancel the transaction?

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: I sold a diamond ring

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

@city*satins wrote:

@*madison wrote:

How then, if the seller only loses either the item or the money does the buyer end up with both?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because the money was the buyer's money, and not the sellers money.

So, the buyer gets their own money back, and gets a free diamond ring to boot.

Right. 

There used to be a puzzle (kind of like the doctor can't operate on the son because the doctor is a WOMAN!!!) that involved change from a $20 bill and who had some extra $1 that didn't actually exist that used to get people tied up in knots.

This brow furrowing about who lost twice vs once kind of reminds me of it.  I'll have to dig it out.

And not post it here.

We know the facts but we also know it FEELS like we lost out on both.

Ah.  Well when it comes to feelings. Yes, I totally get that.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 61 of 68
latest reply

Thank you! I appreciate you noticing all the errors in my listing and letting me know. I've corrected them. I've also added a picture of the original certificate. 

Bot Ebay and Pay Pal said to cancel if I have any doubts about the buyer.  

Message 62 of 68
latest reply

No, actually Ebay told me that it is too late for them to file SNAD now for the 2K ring they purchased. The time to file SNAD has run out according to Ebay employee I spoke with. 

Message 63 of 68
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:
There used to be a puzzle (kind of like the doctor can't operate on the son because the doctor is a WOMAN!!!) that involved change from a $20 bill and who had some extra $1 that didn't actually exist that used to get people tied up in knots.

This brow furrowing about who lost twice vs once kind of reminds me of it.  I'll have to dig it out.

And not post it here.

Yeah, please don't. Smiley Very Happy 

This supposed logical fallacy (about not losing "both" the money and the item) gets trotted out whenever some distressed poster, usually a seller, worries about that outcome, only to be one-upped by someone who immediately says that the seller cannot possibly lose "both." As if that's supposed to be consolation somehow.

The argument falls apart because it's trying to compare two different points in time (seller has the item, then seller has the money) as if they were simultaneous, then ignore that detail when concluding that the seller cannot lose both. Of course the seller can lose both, just not at the same time, but the outcome is the same. The buyer is walking away with both the item and the money; the seller now has neither. 

Message 64 of 68
latest reply

@ateliercouture wrote:

No, actually Ebay told me that it is too late for them to file SNAD now for the 2K ring they purchased. The time to file SNAD has run out according to Ebay employee I spoke with. 

So then they didn't file a SNAD and there is no indication that they intended to do that.

Message 65 of 68
latest reply

@ateliercouture wrote:

Thank you! I appreciate you noticing all the errors in my listing and letting me know. I've corrected them. I've also added a picture of the original certificate. 

Bot Ebay and Pay Pal said to cancel if I have any doubts about the buyer.  

You'd better check your eBay account.  eBay customer service is great at forgetting to mention things like refunded final fees.

If you cancelled this sale you might want to check whether eBay credited back to you the $360 final fee that they charged you for the sale.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 66 of 68
latest reply

Cancel cancel cancel. If you do not you will be out the ring and the money and you will feel miserable about it. It's to high a scam target. A one feedback buyer. On an item like this. Go with your instinct.

Message 67 of 68
latest reply

If you can't afford to lose it, DON'T LIST IT HERE~

Period!

Message 68 of 68
latest reply