cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sold a diamond ring

I sold a Tiffany & CO platinum diamond ring. Tiffany & Co Etoile Platinum Diamond Pave Engagement Ring(233223575709)

I do have the original certificate. Someone bought the ring for $3600. In my terms of auction i wrote the the buyer needs to have at least 30 postive feedbacks on Ebay. The person who bought the ring has only one feedback, its positive. The buyer paid immediately through pay pal.

I messaged them and a person replied that his wife bought the ring but she is Korean and doesn't speak English. The live in Hawaii. 

I called ebay and they told me this buyer bought another piece of jewelry for 2,000 on ebay and thats what the one positive feedback is for.

I am afraid to lose the ring and the money. Should I ship the ring or cancel the transaction?

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: I sold a diamond ring

Very thorough and easy to understand.  Love when members here are so talented and helpful.

Thanks! That's really good of you to say.

Unfortunately, apart from removing the fuzzy stock photo, and despite asking me what was spelled wrong, seller has not taken any of my advice, not even corrected the errors.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 46 of 68
latest reply

The op ended the re-list yesterday, stating error in the listing, but I thought the op was going to take your advice and correct everything you said, but the op has only removed the stock photo. Smiley Indifferent

Message 47 of 68
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

Very thorough and easy to understand.  Love when members here are so talented and helpful.

Thanks! That's really good of you to say.

Unfortunately, apart from removing the fuzzy stock photo, and despite asking me what was spelled wrong, seller has not taken any of my advice, not even corrected the errors.

Morning city*satins -- Let's see I can ease your mind.  It's like a spouse, child, seller that knows better than anyone!  They will ask for advice and go to their closet to laugh!!!!!!!!!!  No, they aren't laughing at you -- they just know that their way is the 'only way'!  Yes, I have a child and other family members just like this and I just sit back and watch them run into walls head-first!!!!!!!!!

You were very thorough and took time to assist.  That is on them and now we can only wait for them to return and tell us that "something" went horribly wrong!!!!

Have a wonderful long weekend!

Seller since 09/20/01 ~~ this is my posting ID.
Message 48 of 68
latest reply

@loverofpyrex2 wrote:

I shouldn't say anything because even though I've been on eBay since 1992, people tell me I'm in the wrong. 

It must have been awfully quiet around here in 1992... Smiley Wink

Message 49 of 68
latest reply

@ateliercouture   The language story is rubbish ... if a "person" replied to you in English then someone there knows how to read.  High end electronics, jewelry, smart phones, etc. are ALL high scam items.  Anyone selling them are at risk.

As to any special Buyer requirements put on the listing, they are meaningless ... eBay works very simply, list it, sell it, pack it, ship it.

Hawaii is not a cheap place to live ... I suspect you will be scammed out of the ring, eBay will not help you and the Buyer will have it for FREE and on sale in their local shop there ... along with the other $ 2,000 ring they will be scamming the other Seller out of ... members are allowed up to 8 IDs linked to one PayPal account ... they're using the low FB one right now until they burn it up then on to another one.

All of this is my humble opinion of course ... sure, you'll get positive FB too when they get the ring but they can still process a SNAD claim, force you to pay the return shipment (uninsured by the way) and send you an empty box.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 50 of 68
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@loverofpyrex2 wrote:

I shouldn't say anything because even though I've been on eBay since 1992, people tell me I'm in the wrong. 

It must have been awfully quiet around here in 1992... Smiley Wink

You owe me a keyboard!!!!!  Just spit coffee everywhere!!!!!  My day has been made and now I must get used to another keyboard -- the curved one that supposed to be good for hands and arms!  How many times to I need to use the 'backspace' before completing a post?????????????????

Seller since 09/20/01 ~~ this is my posting ID.
Message 51 of 68
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@amp_global wrote:

Not to worry you further but ........, you can indeed lose both the ring and the money, if the buyer opens a claim against you they have to return the ring to you, however, there's no way of knowing that they will return your actual ring to you, they could return anything,even an empty box,

If that happens, the seller loses his ring and the cost of shipping both ways. But he does not lose the ring AND the $3600 because the seller was never entitled to both. 

Before the fraudulent sale, the seller had a ring and the money to pay for shipping and did not have $3600. After the fraudulent sale, the seller is missing only the ring and the money to pay for shipping.

Yes, if you want to be pedantic, but we KNOW what we mean.

How then, if the seller only loses either the item or the money does the buyer end up with both?

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 52 of 68
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@ateliercouture   The language story is rubbish ... if a "person" replied to you in English then someone there knows how to read.  High end electronics, jewelry, smart phones, etc. are ALL high scam items.  Anyone selling them are at risk.

As to any special Buyer requirements put on the listing, they are meaningless ... eBay works very simply, list it, sell it, pack it, ship it.

Hawaii is not a cheap place to live ... I suspect you will be scammed out of the ring, eBay will not help you and the Buyer will have it for FREE and on sale in their local shop there ... along with the other $ 2,000 ring they will be scamming the other Seller out of ... members are allowed up to 8 IDs linked to one PayPal account ... they're using the low FB one right now until they burn it up then on to another one.

All of this is my humble opinion of course ... sure, you'll get positive FB too when they get the ring but they can still process a SNAD claim, force you to pay the return shipment (uninsured by the way) and send you an empty box.

What exactly did this buyer do wrong other than to bid on, buy, and pay for this item? 

Ignore the 30 feedback requirement?  The non enforceable 30 feedback requirement?   The 30 feedback requirement that doesn't give any hint what the prospective bidder is supposed to say to the seller when contacting her and what the seller is going to do having been contacted?  

I always have wondered how these dialogs are expected to go:

Prospective Bidder:  hello. I have not got 30 feedback but want to bid on your item

Seller:  hello. Please show me a copy of your Social Security Card, your drivers license and bank account information and provide me with your full name and address so I can see if you have any criminal history and steal your identity.

Alternately just reassure me that you'll pay for your purchase and not try to return it.

Prospective Bidder:  what?  I haven't even seen your item up close yet - how do I know it's even real?  But you want my personal information?

Seller:  Don't bid, you're clearly a scammer

Seriously - what is the purpose of this 'contact the seller first' nonsense?

The seller refused to ship and has relisted this listing.

As far as I can see, a buyer who might spend a lot of money on eBay, probably won't now.   How does that help me, as a seller to have buyers branded as scammers without cause and their business driven away?

Message 53 of 68
latest reply

If you had come here before you listed the ring, most of us would have told you not to sell it on ebay until you had a lot more experience.

Message 54 of 68
latest reply

How then, if the seller only loses either the item or the money does the buyer end up with both?

The money was always the buyer's.  The buyer still has it. Now the buyer has item too.

The seller had the item.  Now the seller doesn't.

No double dipping.  The seller was never entitled to both item and money so the seller only lost the item.  Net loss = 1 item

The buyer was never entitled to both the item and the money, but the buyer now has an item for $0 and his own money returned to his pocketbook.  Net gain = 1 item.

Net loss = 1 item  (seller)

Net gain = 1 item (buyer)

Message 55 of 68
latest reply

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because the money was the buyer's money, and not the sellers money.

So, the buyer gets their own money back, and gets a free diamond ring to boot.

Message 56 of 68
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

Right. 

There used to be a puzzle (kind of like the doctor can't operate on the son because the doctor is a WOMAN!!!) that involved change from a $20 bill and who had some extra $1 that didn't actually exist that used to get people tied up in knots.

This brow furrowing about who lost twice vs once kind of reminds me of it.  I'll have to dig it out.

And not post it here.

Message 57 of 68
latest reply

@ateliercouture wrote:

I sold a Tiffany & CO platinum diamond ring. Tiffany & Co Etoile Platinum Diamond Pave Engagement Ring(233223575709)

I do have the original certificate. Someone bought the ring for $3600. In my terms of auction i wrote the the buyer needs to have at least 30 postive feedbacks on Ebay. The person who bought the ring has only one feedback, its positive. The buyer paid immediately through pay pal.

I messaged them and a person replied that his wife bought the ring but she is Korean and doesn't speak English. The live in Hawaii. 

I called ebay and they told me this buyer bought another piece of jewelry for 2,000 on ebay and thats what the one positive feedback is for.

I am afraid to lose the ring and the money. Should I ship the ring or cancel the transaction?

You are much braver than me....  I wouldn't sell that on Ebay.    Your photos are horrible.  You really need a microscope to take pictures of that type of item.  People want to see the Tiffany Mark if they are going to pay that much.  They want to see the diamond has no inclusions...  People are only going to pay $3600 for a used 1/2ct diamond because it's in a Tiffany setting and a pristine diamond.  Otherwise its worth < $1000.  From your photos,  I can't tell if either is true.  It's amazing somebody bid on your auction actually...

From your photos it could be costume jewelry.  I think Avon/ Premier Designs make rings that looks like that.  LOL.  IMHO,  sell it locally or invest in some decent imaging equipment.  You're giving me a heart attack here for you....  this is a nightmare waiting to happen.  grimacing

Message 58 of 68
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

@*madison wrote:

Right. 

There used to be a puzzle (kind of like the doctor can't operate on the son because the doctor is a WOMAN!!!) that involved change from a $20 bill and who had some extra $1 that didn't actually exist that used to get people tied up in knots.

This brow furrowing about who lost twice vs once kind of reminds me of it.  I'll have to dig it out.

And not post it here.

We know the facts but we also know it FEELS like we lost out on both.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 59 of 68
latest reply

We know the facts but we also know it FEELS like we lost out on both.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But a seller shouldn't feel like they lost out on both, because they didn't lose both.

Message 60 of 68
latest reply