cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sold a diamond ring

I sold a Tiffany & CO platinum diamond ring. Tiffany & Co Etoile Platinum Diamond Pave Engagement Ring(233223575709)

I do have the original certificate. Someone bought the ring for $3600. In my terms of auction i wrote the the buyer needs to have at least 30 postive feedbacks on Ebay. The person who bought the ring has only one feedback, its positive. The buyer paid immediately through pay pal.

I messaged them and a person replied that his wife bought the ring but she is Korean and doesn't speak English. The live in Hawaii. 

I called ebay and they told me this buyer bought another piece of jewelry for 2,000 on ebay and thats what the one positive feedback is for.

I am afraid to lose the ring and the money. Should I ship the ring or cancel the transaction?

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: I sold a diamond ring

@ateliercouture wrote:

I sold a Tiffany & CO platinum diamond ring. Tiffany & Co Etoile Platinum Diamond Pave Engagement Ring(233223575709)

I do have the original certificate. Someone bought the ring for $3600. In my terms of auction i wrote the the buyer needs to have at least 30 postive feedbacks on Ebay. The person who bought the ring has only one feedback, its positive. The buyer paid immediately through pay pal.

I messaged them and a person replied that his wife bought the ring but she is Korean and doesn't speak English. The live in Hawaii. 

I called ebay and they told me this buyer bought another piece of jewelry for 2,000 on ebay and thats what the one positive feedback is for.

I am afraid to lose the ring and the money. Should I ship the ring or cancel the transaction?

If your a Man -- did your wife know about the sell of precious jewels?  If your a Woman -- did your husband know about the sell of precious jewels?

Just wondering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seller since 09/20/01 ~~ this is my posting ID.
Message 16 of 68
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

@amp_global wrote:

Not to worry you further but ........, you can indeed lose both the ring and the money, if the buyer opens a claim against you they have to return the ring to you, however, there's no way of knowing that they will return your actual ring to you, they could return anything,even an empty box,  the work & expense  will be all yours to correct the situation, if in fact you can, whatever happens, ebay will very likely side with the buyer no matter how illogical the scenario.

You can't lose what you never could've had. As a seller, you can have the ring OR the money; not both, as one is exchanged for the other. The ring and the money represent the same thing, so you can only ever lose that one thing.

You're not getting it. Many sellers have indeed lost the item and the money they were paid initially. In those cases the "buyer" ends up with both.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 17 of 68
latest reply

@ateliercouture wrote:

The time to be worried, is before listing the item.

As far as the feedback, buyer needs 30 positive, can't be enforced.

Since a buyer can't get true feedback, their feedback is pretty much worthless.

Just from what you've mentioned, doesn't sound like a problem buyer.

Have a great day.
Message 18 of 68
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

You can't lose the ring AND the money; only one or the other.

Wrong, seller can loose both.

If buyer files an INAD and sends back a rock, seller will lose item and they'll have to send refund.

Have a great day.
Message 19 of 68
latest reply

@amp_global wrote:

Not to worry you further but ........, you can indeed lose both the ring and the money, if the buyer opens a claim against you they have to return the ring to you, however, there's no way of knowing that they will return your actual ring to you, they could return anything,even an empty box,

If that happens, the seller loses his ring and the cost of shipping both ways. But he does not lose the ring AND the $3600 because the seller was never entitled to both. 

Before the fraudulent sale, the seller had a ring and the money to pay for shipping and did not have $3600. After the fraudulent sale, the seller is missing only the ring and the money to pay for shipping.

Message 20 of 68
latest reply

I can tell you from experience and from my family that Koreans typically don’t commit this type of crime. They are very social people and they are afraid of their reputation being tainted. This is not the type of crime a Korean person would commit, they would be afraid of you tanrnishing their reputation and shaming them.  I wouldn’t worry about it. 

Message 21 of 68
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

@tools* wrote:

@amp_global wrote:

Not to worry you further but ........, you can indeed lose both the ring and the money, if the buyer opens a claim against you they have to return the ring to you, however, there's no way of knowing that they will return your actual ring to you, they could return anything,even an empty box,  the work & expense  will be all yours to correct the situation, if in fact you can, whatever happens, ebay will very likely side with the buyer no matter how illogical the scenario.

You can't lose what you never could've had. As a seller, you can have the ring OR the money; not both, as one is exchanged for the other. The ring and the money represent the same thing, so you can only ever lose that one thing.

You're not getting it. Many sellers have indeed lost the item and the money they were paid initially. In those cases the "buyer" ends up with both.

At first the buyer had the money and the seller had the item.

Thus the seller can not lose the money.

The buyer then gave the money to the seller and the seller gave the item to the buyer.

So now (long story short) the buyer gets the money back.

This is where the mistake happens: The money never belonged to the seller, the item did.

In the exchange the buyer took their own money back and kept the item.

The seller has lost the item.

Here it is in another format:

M=Money, B=Buyer, I=Item, S=Seller

Beginning - We start with BM and SI

Then we go to BI and SM

The End - Now we end up with BIM and S

In this illustration:

The only thing the S is missing is the I !!!

Message 22 of 68
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

By the way, in the unlikely event that you end up relisting this ring.   Lose that galley picture. It's not only fuzzy but it's a stock photo and you are not allowed to use a stock photo on a used item.

A Stock Photo could result in item received not as described.  Best to always show a photo of the actual item you are selling.  Plus if your buyer files and sends back a different ring you do not have any real proof of what you actually sold.  

Message 23 of 68
latest reply

I don't think that any "reasonable" individual would assume that that the seller of the ring fully expected to receive the funds and retain the ring, likewise, no "reasonable" individual would believe it fair that the seller could potentionally never see the ring again and be ultimately forced to refund the buyer, however you slice and dice it, whatever word salad you muster, the seller loses both and it hurts.

Message 24 of 68
latest reply

On the bright side, IMO a low feedback bidder is more likely to be a newbie than a scammer.  It's so easy to scam on eBay that scammers don't have to hop accounts frequently likely they used to.   I sell low-cost items so I'm less at risk, but when I have had problematic buyers they've never been the 0 feedback people.

Message 25 of 68
latest reply

Personally I would cancel. Which also means eating the paypal fees, since they no longer refund.
It's better than no ring + no money + end up eating the paypal fees.
This guy didn't read or care for your description either.
In the end it's a gamble but it's up to you. Good luck.
Message 26 of 68
latest reply

I shouldn't say anything because even though I've been on eBay since 1992, people tell me I'm in the wrong. 

I personally would think twice on that shipment especially out of the country. Just saying.

Message 27 of 68
latest reply

I agree. Too many scammers anymore.

Message 28 of 68
latest reply

Even though 30 feedbacks is unenforceable, the one feedback buyer still purchased the item and went against your wishes without asking you first.

It tells me something about the buyer, and it's something I don't like.

I know what I would do, now you have to decide what you want to do.

Message 29 of 68
latest reply

I want to know what is so special about 30. 😂

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 30 of 68
latest reply