cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I might be being scammed by a buyer?

Hi everyone!

I do not use Ebay often to sell items (well aware I am a target). I recently sold an Ipad to a person who is now accusing me of lying in my posting. I want to preface this by saying that I recorded the iPad before and during the packaging, where I basically show the iPad working, the battery life, the buttons working while I place it in the envelope to ship out. He is claiming the battery won't work and that when it arrived it was at 20% (the video shows it was at 62% then me turning off the iPad thus making it impossible to be at 20%), the exterior of the iPad is damaged (no damage was present before sending it again proven by the video) and that it did not come with a charger (the posting did NOT say there was a charger with this iPad).  I messaged him back telling him everything was documented and recorded as working, that we can take it up to Ebay. I am not sure what else to do! 

Any advice please welcome! 

thank you ! 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: I might be being scammed by a buyer?

I can't speak as to whether you're being scammed (the bidder popped by more than once) by the buyer. But...

No Returns and no refunds mean two different things.

You are correct to use eBay... but YOU handle it, don't let eBay handle it. Tell the buyer that you are sorry he is unhappy and to please return the item to you for a full refund. Approve the Return if he opens a claim, and refund the buyer in full when it comes home.

This is your best defense. You (hopefully) will get the item back to resell... I find that if an item sells once, it will again. Also, your selling account metrics won't take a ding. Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@airu567 wrote:

I want to preface this by saying that I recorded the iPad before and during the packaging, where I basically show the iPad working, the battery life, the buttons working while I place it in the envelope to ship out.

Why would you ship something like that in an envelope?

Your videos mean nothing to Ebay.

If the buyer filed an INAD, accept the return and provide return shipping.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If the buyer files a not as described case, he will win. Ebay does not look at videos, they can be doctored. You will be responsible to provide a return label, and refund after you receive it back. If you ignore the case, or try to fight it you will receive a defect and probably a negative feedback.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I can't speak as to whether you're being scammed (the bidder popped by more than once) by the buyer. But...

No Returns and no refunds mean two different things.

You are correct to use eBay... but YOU handle it, don't let eBay handle it. Tell the buyer that you are sorry he is unhappy and to please return the item to you for a full refund. Approve the Return if he opens a claim, and refund the buyer in full when it comes home.

This is your best defense. You (hopefully) will get the item back to resell... I find that if an item sells once, it will again. Also, your selling account metrics won't take a ding. Good luck!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

It's not a normal envelope, it's one of those that are made for shipping fragile items, thank you. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your advice! It seems as I have done digging through other comments I finally found that sellers who even record are still ignored. eBay offers no protection for sellers, very unfortunate. Probably will not sell again due to this

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@airu567 wrote:

Thank you for your advice! It seems as I have done digging through other comments I finally found that sellers who even record are still ignored. eBay offers no protection for sellers, very unfortunate. Probably will not sell again due to this

Yes, eBay does not look at recordings, because there is no way to see what happened before or after the recording. You do have seller protection against Item Not Received claims, but for Not As Described claims, eBay's standard position is just to "unwind" the transaction by having the buyer return it and then the seller refunds. Unfair, perhaps, but that's the best you are likely to get, so the standard recommendation is to not sell anything here that you cannot afford to lose.

In particular, don't sell high-scam items such as smartphones or laptops from a selling account that makes you look new (i.e. a low feedback count), as that simply makes you a magnet for scammers, and honest buyers will be wary of trusting you anyway.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

It sounds like they have already opened a Not As Described claim. If you let this go to eBay to decide you will lose. EBay will put a defect on your account, and your Final Value fees will not be credited back to you. And it is likely eBay will not require the buyer to return the item.

Once they opened the case, you are placed at a disadvantage. As for your documentation, it is meaningless in eBay’s realm. Plus, if you mailed the iPad in any kind of envelope, it is quite possible that did not provide enough protection and the iPad has transit damage. It may have been working when you sent it, but that does not prove it was still working upon arrival.

Among other factors, as for the battery drain, the battery can be affected by extremes of heat and cold, for example, that a package may experience in its travel. It doesn't have to be turned on for it to drain. (You can verify this on Apple’s website.)

So rather than jump to conclusions over your buyer’s veracity, you might consider that he is reporting the truth. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I completely understand! As I mentioned in my previous comment, the envelope was not a flimsy paper envelope. I wrapped the whole iPad in numerous layers of bubble wrap as well to ensure more protection. I understand the heat may have caused an issue but upon looking upon Apple's website, there shouldn't have been damage to the battery. I am more suspicious due to the fact the buyer is accusing me of lying to him about a charger being with the Ipad when the post states that SOLELY the iPad was being sold. I am being accused of the Ipad having numerous defects that seems a bit unlikely to all happen at once. The envelope was a thick high-end one made for fragile items.  I am just going to accept the refund and deal with it and not sell again. I just wanted to sell an Ipad I had, I wasn't planning on selling consistently on Ebay.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I see, so sorry your transaction went south. It sounds like you handled a difficult situation with aplomb. That’s not easy to do. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply