cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I messaged @AskeBay 3 times and haven't received any response.

Here are the messages:

"Why does eBay allow buyers so long to pay on auctions vs buy it now? Imagine going to a live auction, such as Barrett-Jackson car auction, and saying I’ll need 2 days plus 4 more! It’s frustrating as a seller to time and time again have low to no feedback buyers win your item only to be non responsive. You give buyers way too much time.

Jun 10Sent

I think eBay should consider either shortening the time that auction winners have to pay or do a better job at vetting their buyers. I just "sold" an item on Saturday to a person with only 2 feedback scores. Less than 10 feedbacks = no payment about 95% of the time. This has happened to me multiple times. Frustrating

I've just begun the ultra slow "Unpaid Item" process which in total will lock up my item for a week. It really encourages me to want to sell more items to bidders who (if they even exist) have zero intention of buying anything. Good job priecting them btw. Oh and thanks for not responding to my two previous messages. Great Customer Service!"

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: I messaged @AskeBay 3 times and haven't received any response.

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

2.  I think eBay should consider either shortening the time that auction winners have to pay or do a better job at vetting their buyers. I just "sold" an item on Saturday to a person with only 2 feedback scores. Less than 10 feedbacks = no payment about 95% of the time. This has happened to me multiple times. Frustrating

You can open an unpaid item case after 2 days, and I think that's excessive myself, I wait much longer than that.  But I only have unpaid items on auctions about every 1 in 300 items sold, and I sell to plenty of less than 10 feedback buyers.  This depends mostly on what you sell though, some categories will have high unpaid item rates because of the demographic that buys those items.

I don't want to call anyone a liar, but I simply do not believe you.

The rate of non-payers on ebay seems to be 50/50, or maybe even more than that. Constantly every single day people are coming here talking about how they are having to waste 2 weeks to relist something over and over again via auction format.

So I simply cannot believe your non-paying bidder rate is less than 1/3 of 1%...

Mine is 0%. 8 years, several thousand items. Not a single nonpayer, even back when I ran auctions.

But if you want to estimate nonpayment % by reading the complaint forums, feel free. Next, you can estimate the % of sick people by visiting a hospital.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

2.  I think eBay should consider either shortening the time that auction winners have to pay or do a better job at vetting their buyers. I just "sold" an item on Saturday to a person with only 2 feedback scores. Less than 10 feedbacks = no payment about 95% of the time. This has happened to me multiple times. Frustrating

You can open an unpaid item case after 2 days, and I think that's excessive myself, I wait much longer than that.  But I only have unpaid items on auctions about every 1 in 300 items sold, and I sell to plenty of less than 10 feedback buyers.  This depends mostly on what you sell though, some categories will have high unpaid item rates because of the demographic that buys those items.

The rate of non-payers on ebay seems to be 50/50, or maybe even more than that. Constantly every single day people are coming here talking about how they are having to waste 2 weeks to relist something over and over again via auction format.

So I simply cannot believe your non-paying bidder rate is less than 1/3 of 1%...

I think non-payment rates vary wildly depending upon what you sell. I have had two non-paying bidders in my last 500 transactions. But I sell mostly obscure music memorabilia that people generally do not buy unless they really, really want it - and quite often I am the only seller on eBay with that item.  

Yes there are sellers coming here every day to complain about nonpayment - but there are also hundreds of thousands of sellers who are not. 

I agree, some categories are historically more prone to non pays than others, as your experience shows, luckythewinner.  Games and electronics, for example, will have a much higher rate than collectibles.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Imagine that people would come to the defense of an entity so large that it could ignore its customers.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

This is a discussion forum where I made a complaint. It's not a complaint forum. A hospital is a specific place that exists to assist people who have the specific needs of either being sick or injured. This is a general forum where people can ask questions, make statements and yes lodge complaints. So your analogy is not that airtight.
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I'm thinking you need to go back and reread what I said. I'm not an apologist, I'm a realist and a business person. I don't run my business on emotions. 

Most sellers do not have a big problem with non-payment. It seems to be clustered in certain categories like cell phones where the competition is cut throat.

Ebay is not going to change. You can either change what you sell or how you sell it. You can only control you.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

Based on my experience, I'd sooner call you a liar for claiming the NPB  rate is 50%. I've been running auctions pretty much week in and week out for about 15 years and that claim is absurd bordering on positively stupid.

if you want to call me a liar, too, then fine. But those are fighting words.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@lukeflores wrote:
This is a discussion forum where I made a complaint. It's not a complaint forum. A hospital is a specific place that exists to assist people who have the specific needs of either being sick or injured. This is a general forum where people can ask questions, make statements and yes lodge complaints. So your analogy is not that airtight.

No, but it's close enough that anyone with any understanding of statistics wouldn't use it to estimate the rate of nonpayment. Nobody comes here to start a thread called "My buyer paid!".

Message 22 of 22
latest reply