cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel I've been extortion by customer

I have a customer who bought a solitaire single chocolate diamond half a carat (0.49) carat on August 30, 2018, for $100.00.  

2 days ago, she emailed me and said I sold her damaged diamond which I didn't think I did.  But I was being reasonable, I told her I was sorry she thinks the diamond was damaged and gave her 3 options, I can

1) either send her a replacement, and pay for her to return the damage diamond for exchange, 

2) refund her $25.00 and she keeps the diamond. Or

3) she can return the diamond and I will refund her full purchase price plus shipping charges she paid.

My response from her was that I sold her a damage diamond and she wants me to refund her $50.00.  I told her I can't because it's already below my cost if I did that.  She then came back and said she paid $35.00 for appraisal and was told the diamond worth only $50.00 and expected me to refund her the $35.00 appraisal as well.  I told her I would be glad to reimburse her for that, for the diamond and for shipping charges.  I will refund for everything but I need her to send me the appraisal so I can send it along with the diamond to my supplier so they an see it was damaged.  

She then acused me of having her doing all the work for me to get refund back from my supplier, and want to to take care of the probelem or she will contact eBay.

At this point, I think I was dealing with a difficult customer and didn't want to go any further.  So I told her that I've everything but none of them agreeable with her, so since I can't do anything to please her, then please contact eBay for return as she stated.

I then received an open case for return and with it, what she said: 

"I received a stone that is not the one pictured. The item was inspected by my gemologist, who rated it as a lower quality, damaged stone. The stone I received had the culet cut off and is chipped around the girdle. It is graded an I1 or 2, while the seller identified it as an SI1 or 2 and showed a stone that is not chipped. It appraised for $50, and so I have asked the seller for a $50 refund. I am unable to return the stone and want a partial refund of the purchase price. The seller refuses to refund more than $25 without the return of the stone and my original.

appraisal, which cost me $35. I made an offer on this stone and the seller took my offer and sent a stone that was not pictured or described. "

I didn't argue, instead I accepted the return.  She then sent me 3 emails after that.  One that said:

1)  "I have told you what you can do to make this right. It s your decision if you refuse to do so."

2)  "I am extremely frustrated, as I feel you fraudulently took my money for a bad stone. You are asking me to fix your supplier issue, by sending you an appraisal and allowing you to get your money back.
If you return my $25.00, as well as $3.00 for shipping, we can end this transaction. You have not provided an acceptable solution to me, but I really want to be done working with you, as I m just wasting my time at this point.
Please return the $28.00 within 24 hours, or a fraud claim will be filled against you."

3) As I have stated, I am not returning the stone. Please refund my $28.00 immediately".

Then she repond to my accepting the return by telling eBay: 

"I never wanted to return the item, as I have told the seller repeatedly. I would like my $28.00 returned to me. ".

My guess is that the diamond I sold to her was fine, and she tried to make me pay for a perfectly good diamond that she claimed was damaged.  Right now I would rather she return the diamond and I will refund her, or if she wants to keep the diamond, I owe her nothing as she told me she had appraisal but yet there is no proof.

Now, if I dont' send her $28.00, she will give me a negative feedback on just a simple sell, but she was trying to extorted me.  I don't feel right to send her the money as nothing wrong with the diamond, and had she agree with my first offered, she would have gotten it.  But now it's plaintly I see she was using oportunity to get me to pay her more.  I don't want to encurrage her to do this to another seller so I'm just telling her to return the diamond for refund, or if she keeps the diamond, then I know nothing is wrong with it.

Any suggestion?  I dont' want a negative feedback, and I had the same sittuation a few years back, but eBay refused to remove because I was told the feedback's was given by customer"

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Did she ever mention giving you negative feedback? If not that is not feedback extortion.

Just keep telling her return for refund. And issue her a return label
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If she opened a case for snad, click return for refund.  Now the ball is in her court.  Do and say nothing further until and she does so.

Do not give in to partials.  If the diamond is damaged, I would not want it at any cost.  That is just a scheme to get money back imo.

Nothing you can do about the negative.  But if she sends you email saying if you do not give her partial money back she will neg you, that may fall under feedback extortion.  If she leaves a negative that may be grounds for getting it removed.

Also block her from buying anything else from you in retaliation.

One thing though - you are questioning whether the diamond may have been damaged.  Don't you check it very carefully with a loupe before sending it out?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Since a return request was opened you do not have any other options.  You have to folow through with the return request. 

Buyers have 5 business days or 7 days total to get an acceptance scan showing the package has been accepted at the post office.  If this time frame has passed I would simply call eBay and have them review the progress of the request and close it out in your favor.  Also any feedback left from this buyer for this transaction will be removed.

Once this is done and complete you can communicate with your buyer about whatever arrangement you want to make.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Just tell her to return for a refund. Accept the return request as she will then have to return the item. eBay will give her 5 business days to return it. If she does not return it, on day 6 you can call eBay and have them close out this request in your favor.

Don't do anything else as she is fishing for a partial refund. Save all of the emails from her as you may need them.

DO NOT give in to her demands.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Looks like she left the neg..  I don't know whether it's removable, but I would respond:  Offered full refund, Buyer chose to keep the item.  that puts you in a good light without attacking her..........

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@phinathome

Both of your bad feedback is from these diamonds you are selling.  You also are using primarily all stock photos which can be an issue with jewelry.  Buyers usually want to see the item they are buying not a stock photo showing the greatest version of the item you are selling.

If you want to continue using the stock photos, you probably will need to have better quality control of your incoming inventory to weed out the bad inventory before you sell the items.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@phinathome

Both of your bad feedback is from these diamonds you are selling.  You also are using primarily all stock photos which can be an issue with jewelry.  Buyers usually want to see the item they are buying not a stock photo showing the greatest version of the item you are selling.

If you want to continue using the stock photos, you probably will need to have better quality control of your incoming inventory to weed out the bad inventory before you sell the items.

Good Luck Selling!

100% agree.  Diamonds are very unique items where no two are exactly alike.

I want to see exactly what I am buying not a generic picture of one.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Issue that return label, she's not sending it back, she's after money, she will have a deadline, once it's passed contact E Bay by phone and have it closed in your favor, also because a case has been closed in your favor any feedback related to it should be removed. What is this place becoming ? So tired of hearing it's not what i wanted but i'll keep it if you pay me some money, Answer, no chance. If you know the item is correct why are you offering to pay them money ? If it's damaged return it, there is a reason she is unwilling to return it and i think most of us know what that is !

Message 9 of 9
latest reply