cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot get ahold of a real person at Ebay, automated system not good, has there been mass layoffs?

They put a return of mine on hold, until the buyer shipped it back. But now that he has I have no option to refund and Ebay will not acknowledge me at all. Just get automated system that is of no help. Im starting to get really nervous about selling on ebay as this my main business. Has anyone heard about turmoil at the top? Something is going on, Ive been selling full time for 8 years. This is very very strange.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: I cannot get ahold of a real person at Ebay, automated system not good, has there been mass layo

@eviestoyboxllc wrote:

Yes but it showed i had to return [refund?] when the item was still in transit. So ebay put a hold on it.

But now that it has been returned there is no option for me to refund.

Is this item shown on your Returns page? (https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord/return)

If not, can you go to your All Orders page (https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord/?filter=status:ALL_ORDERS), open the pulldown menu in the Actions column for that item, and select the Send Refund action there?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: I cannot get ahold of a real person at Ebay, automated system not good, has there been mass layo

What does the return show, what options do you have if any?  You'll probably get better help here than by contacting eBay.

If you really want to contact them, use the Help & Contact link at the top of any page and choose the correct options until you get to an opportunity for a callback or chat, or if you just get chat, type "Agent" in the chat and see whether it gives you the option for a live chat or callback.  Or go to Facebook or Twitter and search for eBay for Business and chat with them there (many people report better experiences that way, those are usually US-based agents with the power to actually make changes, and you get a transcript with any method of chatting instead of just having to remember what was said on the phone).

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@eviestoyboxllc wrote:

They put a return of mine on hold, until the buyer shipped it back. But now that he has I have no option to refund and Ebay will not acknowledge me at all.

Just for background: did the buyer file a return request and you sent him a return label? Does the tracking show that it has been delivered back to you yet? That should trigger a notification from eBay to you that you now have 3 days to issue the refund to the buyer. How long has it been since you received the returned item?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

You were right the past 8 years yest thats how to contact them, the last 2 days. No bueno.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Yes but it showed i had to return when the item was still in transit. So ebay put a hold on it.

But now that it has been returned there is no option for me to refund. Im sure they will just ding my account. Its really scary you cant talk to a real person no matter what. Thats what i have enjoyed about Ebay the past 15 years. Sad!

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

They have taken away all options for them to call you, you to call them, or to chat with an agent.

Also the hotline number does the same thing never lets you get to a person. If you ask for a person 

3 times they just say goodbye.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@eviestoyboxllc wrote:

Yes but it showed i had to return [refund?] when the item was still in transit. So ebay put a hold on it.

But now that it has been returned there is no option for me to refund.

Is this item shown on your Returns page? (https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord/return)

If not, can you go to your All Orders page (https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord/?filter=status:ALL_ORDERS), open the pulldown menu in the Actions column for that item, and select the Send Refund action there?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

The "real people" on the phone are subcontractors with poor training and no authority.

You want the eBay employees who are assigned to the various social media.

They are well trained, can see your screens and will give you a transcript so you can compare what you were actually told with what you thought you heard.

https://www.facebook.com/ebay— Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

You may get a callback  but generally the Chats are more useful, since not only are you giving them the information they need, but they have time to understand, winnow out the emotions, and research the answers.

But if you just want soothing make the phone calls. It's pretty useless, but you will get the warm pink fuzzies, while the clerk gets you off the phone and finally has a pee break.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

A passing thought, perhaps because the buyer took so long to get the item back to you, the case was closed for passing the deadline, and eBay does not require you to refund at all.

What is the time line?

Date of sale. Date of Claim. Date of shipment.

Did you supply the return shipping?

Is there a tracking number on the return shipment?

Date of delivery of return.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I thought about that, but will that close the case without negative impact to my account?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

A monkey could do it. It will no longer let me chat with a person. Just keeps saying go through the questionnaire. Problem is that wont help me. Im sure ill get case closed without seller resolution. O well i guess.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Can you take a screenshot and hide any personal information about you or your buyer, and post that here?  Right now we're still guessing about what you see.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Search the headliner below for more details on ebay's recent layoffs,  due to their revolving door of lawsuits and debt.

eBay is laying off 1,000 employees — about 9% of its workforce. Read the memo its CEO sent to staff.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Are you using Facebook or Instagram or Twitter to contact eBay?
 If there is a questionnaire, are you actually filling it or giving up  at that point?

The employees on those social media sites are real people, with actual training and some authority.

The Chats are not fast, but they work.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@eviestoyboxllc wrote:

I thought about that, but will that close the case without negative impact to my account?

@eviestoyboxllc : Yes, following the appropriate links to refund the buyer now that he has returned the item to you will close the case without negative impact to you. (eBay will return the Final Value Fees that they deducted from the payment when you make the refund.) We all get returns once in a while. Stuff happens.

It's if you don't refund the buyer after the return, and eBay has to do it for you, that you can get a defect on your account, and eBay will keep their FVFs if that happens. (I think your deadline for refunding is 3 days after receipt of the return, but don't wait that long.)

So have you now found the Refund links for your Sold item and refunded the buyer? If so, that should be the end of it.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply