cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Sincerely Despise This Platform as a Seller

Yesterday, I listed a lot of old Pokemon cards which were purchased less than 2 hours later. The buyer then began to bombard me with messages asking questions about the listing (questions which were all answered in the description) and requesting additional photos after I had already packed them all up in the shipping box. I acquiesced, sent him more photos and answered all his questions, but he just kept going and going. I spent the entirety of Memorial Day trying to satisfy this customer. He eventually requested that I ship the most valuable cards in special sleeves that I don't possess, in an attempt to change the terms of the transaction AFTER the point of sale (again, the listing clearly stated how all the cards would be packaged and shipped).

I then noticed the seller was in a different country (Australia), and I do not ship internationally. He circumvented this by using a 3rd party shipper with a U.S. address. This, along with him waiting to ask questions and make requests AFTER the point of sale, made me very suspicious, and after consulting eBay's own policy, which clearly states that if a buyer attempts to change the terms of a transaction after the point of sale the seller has every right to cancel a transaction, I did just that. I relisted the item, and it was purchased again soon afterwards (more on that below).

The original purchaser left negative feedback on my account regarding the cancelled sale. That is extremely unfair. I did put in a request to have the buyer's negative feedback removed and outlined precisely what I've typed here, but within 30 minutes the request had been denied, despite the fact the buyer literally admits in his negative feedback that he waited until AFTER the purchase to ask any questions or make any requests, and despite the fact that his correspondence proves he attempted to change the terms of the transaction after the point of sale. This has really upset me, because I take pride in my reputation on this platform.

As stated above, I relisted the lot in question, and within hours I had received two messages about it...from Australians on low-feedback accounts. My store is very, very small and receives very, very little traffic, and it seems very suspicious that I would receive multiple inquires from the same foreign country on the same day regarding the same item that had just been relisted. Furthermore, it turns out the eventual buyer...wait for it...is an Australian using a 3rd party shipper with a U.S. address. I immediately messaged the buyer and flat-out asked if he was the same person on a sockpuppet account, and he said no, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and ship his purchase. I've done everything properly on my end from the start, yet here I am with a duly unjust negative feedback hit and a sneaking suspicion that I'm being scammed by a sociopath. It was crystal clear the original buyer was never going to be satisfied with the transaction no matter what I said or did or how many hoops I jumped through, and I cannot help but worry that the 2nd buyer is the same individual on another account planning to hit me with a 2nd negative feedback on the same box of merchandise. It really sucks that I don't have any further recourse here, and I'm seriously considering moving my business to a platform that actually looks out for its sellers, and does not turn a blind eye to manipulative and downright crooked buyers.

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: I Sincerely Despise This Platform as a Seller

That was uncalled for. 😞

Bobbie
Message 106 of 114
latest reply

Again, it is you who is confused and misleading forum readers. You deal mostly  in $39 items. We deal mainly in $1,000 to $100,000-plus rare coins and currency. You ship items in small, thin envelopes, which obviously increases the chances of theft, damage, or other loss. We always use a large box or huge, thick envelope with security warning labels affixed. 

You are judging common carriers based on your limited experience with shipments of inexpensive items using the cheapest possible services. We have extensive experience in mailing pricier items, most of which are not even sold through Ebay. USPS is by far the most reliable delivery service for us.

We use "restricted delivery" on every $500-plus shipment yet not even a single mailing has ever been returned to us as undeliverable., so your "80%+" "bounce back" rate is absurdly false and based on your uninformed guess.

All of our mailings require a signature. If a customer is not at his listed address when USPS attempts delivery, he can reschedule delivery online or pick up the parcel at their post office. 

Our firm sends thousands of mailings annually, all securely packed. At least one GPS tracker is hidden in every $1,000-plus package. We have not lost even a single package to theft since 2006. Our only loss of any kind was in 2020 due to damage caused by USPS's sorting equipment, according to their own investigation. 

Message 107 of 114
latest reply

@erzengelb wrote:

Anyway, I'm done here. I've warned sellers what can happen to any of them at any time without recourse. And as soon as I find a better platform and transfer my listings over to whatever that platform may be, I'll be closing my store here and cancelling my account. 

And THAT, eBay, is how you lose a customer. Well done.

A better platform where scammers don't exist?

A better platform where they always side with the seller?

A better platform where foreign buyers aren't allowed to use a US freight forwarder?

I wish you luck with that.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 108 of 114
latest reply

It was really hard to tell exactly what your complaint was to begin with, so insulting me isn't a good way to prove you're cut out for retail. Was it having your money on reserve until the item is received, or was it that someone asked questions, or that you went ahead and shipped to Australia, which you were concerned about? Or the negative feedback? You were all over the place and it amazes me that you want to sell here or anywhere. Like my previous post said...there are just some people who are not cut out for retail. Nothing will make that person happy. Everything will bug them. I hope this transaction turned out okay, but know that there will always be things that pop up like this. 

Message 109 of 114
latest reply

@certifiedcitynet wrote:

We use "restricted delivery" on every $500-plus shipment yet not even a single mailing has ever been returned to us as undeliverable., so your "80%+" "bounce back" rate is absurdly false and based on your uninformed guess.

All of our mailings require a signature. If a customer is not at his listed address when USPS attempts delivery, he can reschedule delivery online or pick up the parcel at their post office.

I think Signature Confirmation and Signature Confirmation Restricted Delivery are getting mixed up here.

SC is required by Ebay for sales of $750 or more. That requires a signature from any adult at the delivery address. USPS charges $3.25 on-line or $3.80 retail over the counter. 

SCRD is not required by Ebay. That requires a signature from the addressee only - no one else. USPS charges $9.80 on-line or $10.35 retail over the counter. So yeah - if the carrier is paying attention then the SCRD package could not be delivered to a reshipper because the addressee himself would not be there to sign for it in person.

https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-extra-services.htm

Message 110 of 114
latest reply

It is you who is completely "mixed up". I made no references to Ebay's policies about Restricted Delivery. I mentioned it because the OP complained about transfers to third party shippers, which Restricted Delivery will prevent. 

Obviously, Signature Confirmation is a different service. If Restricted Delivery is included with it, only the addressee, or his verified agent under special circumstances, can sign for a mailing, which was the whole point of my OP.

Message 111 of 114
latest reply

LOL, you are very observant. A Negative Nellie will always be a Negative Nellie even if he wins the billion dollar lottery. 

Message 112 of 114
latest reply

Ebay is actually a great deal for sellers of pricier rare coins and currency who have a store. Their fee is just 2.5% for all sales plus 6% of sales up to $4,000. You would have to pay 2.9% to PayPal for direct sales, anyway, yet not receive a refund of that fee for returns and cancellations.  But PayPal does not withhold any fee for refunds given on Ebay. And Ebay offers seller protections that no other platform does. 

Message 113 of 114
latest reply

@certifiedcitynet wrote:

It is you who is completely "mixed up". I made no references to Ebay's policies about Restricted Delivery. I mentioned it because the OP complained about transfers to third party shippers, which Restricted Delivery will prevent. 

I am not mixed up at all, thanks. Please stop telling everyone else that they are confused. I even AGREED with you that SCRD could prevent delivery to a reshipper if that is important to you. I was merely explaining the difference between SC and SCRD as well as providing a link to the correct current prices for both.

Message 114 of 114
latest reply