cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hundreds of listings removed. Reason: Only eligible sellers may list airbags. They are not airbags.

I sell used auto parts and suddenly suddenly every listing I have for clock springs have been taken down for policy violations. The specific reason stated is "Only eligible sellers may list airbags. At this time you are not eligible to list this item." My items are not airbags. They are not listed in an airbag category. The word airbag is not in any of the listings. I've been selling these for several years. First it was 1 listing. I called, and the first person said they put the listing in for review. Then about 10 minutes later I get a message saying hundreds of my listings have been removed for the same reason. I called back and the second person I spoke to was no help at all. Did a person do this or is it some mistake the system has made?

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: Hundreds of listings removed. Reason: Only eligible sellers may list airbags. They are not airba

Is it possible to form an official letter to eBay Management to clarify their policies? Maybe if enough sellers sign it they will notice us with our concerns? Clocksprings are not "- Deployed or rebuilt airbags and airbag covers". There is not s single NTSHA or any government recall for clocksprings that would require an account restriction. Maybe they can invest $80 for an hour of consultation with a mechanic to clarify the difference in Airbag and a Clockspring so we all do business in a safe and professional environment. 

Message 61 of 75
latest reply

Re: Hundreds of listings removed. Reason: Only eligible sellers may list airbags. They are not airba

@swappart wrote:

@neparts wrote:

Just search "Clockspring" and get a whole list of new NON-OEM clocksprings for a fraction of the cost of OEM.  How are they approved sellers of airbags?  How safe are they for an unexperienced installer?  How safe are they for an experienced installer for that matter??  

... The airbag requires 12 volts to set it off ....

I'm sorry, that is not correct. An airbag can be deployed by much less than 12 volts.

It is correct that airbags are designed to be generally safe to handle, as long as they have not been damaged and their connectors are intact. As mentioned, airbags have shorting clips in their connectors, to prevent an electrical current from reaching the initiator unless the airbag has been properly connected. However, if there is damage to any of the wiring or connectors in the airbag or the firing circuit, that can defeat the protection of the shorting clip in some situations.

When airbags are being deployed for disposal, or for demonstrations, most facilities use a 9-volt battery to set them off. However, that is because there are connectors readily available for 9-volt batteries, which can be used to wire up a convenient control box with a switch. It actually takes even less voltage than that to deploy an airbag.

This requirement is set by SAE/USCAR-28: Initiator Technical Requirements and Validation.

image.png

Message 62 of 75
latest reply

@recycl-er wrote:

Is it possible to form an official letter to eBay Management to clarify their policies? Maybe if enough sellers sign it they will notice us with our concerns? Clocksprings are not "- Deployed or rebuilt airbags and airbag covers". There is not s single NTSHA or any government recall for clocksprings that would require an account restriction. Maybe they can invest $80 for an hour of consultation with a mechanic to clarify the difference in Airbag and a Clockspring so we all do business in a safe and professional environment. 

I'm sure that would somehow violate some policy and get every signer banned. I filed an official dispute, and they have 2 days left to respond and then I will submit a demand for arbitration. 

Message 63 of 75
latest reply

Please keep us posted on the outcome (though you might not be able to share the details). I am having the same problem on one of my TRS accounts. We are facing a multiday restriction because they are considering an air bag module a part and accessory which I do not believe has been made clear previously. The policy and messages have always stated used air bags and the policy bullets are geared toward the shipping, handling and selling of air bags due to hazmat restrictions and recalls. I don't have a problem taking down listings personally at this point but I do have a problem getting restrictions for items that are not clearly defined as an air bag part and the CS reps don't seem to actually know. We have all of the following listed, battery cut off fuses, crash sensors, clock springs, control modules, impact sirens, air bag lights, seat belts and I am sure there are more. All of which are attached to the air bag system in some way. Probably going to have to remove them all but its always fun seeing dozens of the exact same part listed on ebay by dozens of other sellers that haven't been flagged. They need a clear policy and they seem to be developing it as they go with no care as to what effect it has on others businesses. 

Message 64 of 75
latest reply

Its also funny to see hundreds of listings for actual airbags that are on the recall list that are not supposed to be listed here at all that ebays bots don't even seem to notice, but yet they are busting your balls for a module.

Message 65 of 75
latest reply

Agree I’m having the same problem. A clock spring is nothing but a harness that’s able to turn. So I can sell an engine bay harness? Makes no sense. I got about hundred removed myself. 

Message 66 of 75
latest reply

How did you file a dispute? I’m in the same boat I’m not sure  if I should fight it or what. I don’t wanna push it and risk my account 

Message 67 of 75
latest reply

This is an old thread.  You should start a new one.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 68 of 75
latest reply

@clin_diesel wrote:

How did you file a dispute? I’m in the same boat I’m not sure  if I should fight it or what. I don’t wanna push it and risk my account 

Info on filing a dispute is here in section 18:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259#18

Applying for pre-approval to sell airbag parts is here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/products-eligibility-requirements-pol...

They completely ignored my dispute. I had 112k in sales last year, but I guess that's not enough for them to care. I could have requested arbitration, but if I lost I'd be on the hook for whatever it cost. Without an attorney, I doubt I'd win. I tried applying for the approval, but they said they're not accepting applications. At any given time, there's 20,000 clock springs listed, and only a few hundred are in the restricted airbag parts category. I mentioned that to CS and they told me to use the report item link, as if I'd want to ruin someone else's business or life. I looked at the report item options, thinking that's probably what happened to me, but there is no option related to clock springs. The only option to report is used airbags. I still think this is a mistake made by their bots, but I can't get anywhere with CS. I'm going to mention it at the seller check-in today and see if there's any chance of getting the approval process started again.

Message 69 of 75
latest reply

Seller check-in was a total waste of time. Just a bunch of talking heads that probably have no clue what it's really like to be a seller. I guess that's why I've never wasted my time with it before.

Message 70 of 75
latest reply

@swappart wrote:

Seller check-in was a total waste of time. Just a bunch of talking heads that probably have no clue what it's really like to be a seller. I guess that's why I've never wasted my time with it before.

This comment has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 71 of 75
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@swappart wrote:

This comment has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

My previous comment, where I replied to clin_diesel, I stated that I was going to bring this issue up at the seller check-in. So, the comment was relative to that.

Message 72 of 75
latest reply

I have had listings taken down with the same message sent back. I have spent 3 years trying to find out what hoops to go thru to be a “certified seller” with no luck. I have messaged the head of the EBay that is responsible for auto parts and got a assistant that went back-and-forth and finally, Just stated he had no answer other than at this time we are not accepting any more certified sellers Not accepting any applications to be one. I have spent so much time that I have given up, I’m trying to become a certified seller

Message 73 of 75
latest reply

Go to similar item to sell of the item being Denied for listing and rewrite  main listing heading and if that doesn’t work change some of description and try until it is listed 

Message 74 of 75
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 75 of 75
latest reply