cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you respond to really dumb questions from buyers?

How would you respond to really dumb questions from buyers?

Perhaps after 22 years of selling on eBay and other online venues I’m just burnt out by the number of dumb questions I get from buyers.  I’ve accepted that many use their cell phones to browse the sites, and that they don’t know how to click and find the item description. But when the information they are seeking is actually in the title of the listing I just wonder why they bothered to message me.

How would you answer these kinds of questions if at all?

The listing title is for a Men’s charcoal wool suit jacket 38 Short, and the buyer sends a message wanting to know what size it is?

Then there are really dumb questions that no one can answer because the buyer didn’t provide the information needed to answer.

Buyer's question: “Will it fit me.”

Listing title is for a Men’s Navy Blue Faux Leather Jacket

Buyer’s question: Is it real leather?

Listing title is for one Antique Nippon Chocolate Pot

Buyer’s question: How many do you have in stock?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: How would you respond to really dumb questions from buyers?

I see valid questions, and not valid,  but also understand "burnout".

1)  May have meant to ask for actual measurements, but instead asked size. They know what they meant (maybe)

2)  no it will not fit you   (BBL)

3) buyer does not know the meaning of Faux (BBL)

4) they want more than one. Some sellers may list one a s a "test" to see how it does, holding the rest in reserve.  I sell many items that I have multiples of, but list one at a time to get that sale where the buyer might just hang out waiting knowing that there are multiples available. Mine are not something they would generally want more than one of, but knowing that there are many, they could just wait a while. Only one. They snap it up.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

I answer short and sweet (although I really want to answer in another way)

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Actually, I wonder HOW anyone can purchase something on the internet that they have NEVER SEEN ON A STORE SHELF IN THEIR LIFE and NOT read the Written Description. 

Don't all 'websites' make you 'scroll down' to read the 'specs' or 'description' etc.? They've done that since the invention of ecommerce. 

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

You may want to check to make sure that you don't have a "Kick Me Hard" sign taped on your back.

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

After decades of dealing with dumb questions from customers both in my B&M store and eBay, I have developed a theory that people just want to make a connection and want to be recognised for being a potential customer.  A basic need to feel special and wanted. 

In addition, they may be seeking some reassurance that they are making a good choice by purchasing your product.

With this in mind, I acknowledge them in a courteous manner and give a relevant response to their question. 

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

"This jacket is size 38 short as stated in the title and description"

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

Listing title is for a Men’s Navy Blue Faux Leather Jacket

Buyer’s question: Is it real leather?

Seller's answer: I apologize for speaking French.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

As sarcastic as I am, when it comes to potential customers,

I just nicely answer the question no matter how stupid it is.

I never say or point out that the answer is in the listing.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 40
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

... Don't all 'websites' make you 'scroll down' to read the 'specs' or 'description' etc.? They've done that since the invention of ecommerce. 

Have you never shopped on Amazon? The bright yellow "Add to cart" button is directly to the right of the listing title; no scrolling needed.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

when responding to buyers, no matter what the question, I always try (it isn't always easy) to follow the advice of Elwood P Dowd (as stated in "Harvey"):

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."

Well, for years I was smart.

I recommend pleasant."

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

4) they want more than one. Some sellers may list one a s a "test" to see how it does, holding the rest in reserve. I sell many items that I have multiples of, but list one at a time to get that sale where the buyer might just hang out waiting knowing that there are multiples available. Mine are not something they would generally want more than one of, but knowing that there are many, they could just wait a while. Only one. They snap it up.

I disagree.  "Antique Nippon  Chocolate Pot"  These types of items were manufactured over 100 years ago, and  they were initially sold as complete sets.  Moreover,  the title itself also implies it's a preowned item. The likelihood that a seller would have more than one waiting in the wings to be sold are extremely slim to none.  Perhaps another style or pattern, but they wouldn't have these exact items in "stock."

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

Actually that was my response to the buyer's question, but I also told them to review the listing for the size chart.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

True story: Yesterday, Uber driver left my order by a community pool because the instruction said "across from pool". Hundreds of orders were delivered just fine, but I had to walk around to find it. Luckily, I acted quickly and called him for exact location. So yes, those folks shop on ebay as well.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

BLOCK THEM. 

Message 15 of 40
latest reply