cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report a new user that is obviously a scammer?

I just got a question from a new user who is obviously a scammer - trying the old money order at local pick up trick and wants a bunch of my info .  I went to the help and contact area but can't find a way to contact ebay about it. 

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Looks like ebay did the right thing and blocked the user.  I think that sending them the spoof messages helped as well as this thread.  Thank you ebay. 

@goodluckselling - obviously I wasn't jumping to conclusions about this scammer. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 33 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

If the buyer has won or bought and this was not a local pick up item, you can cancel with problem with buyer's address.  Save the buyer's message.

You can report off the buyer's transaction when you leave feedback; I think there is a link there that says, report this buyer.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

eBay makes it near impossible to report people who haven't bought an item from you and who are not selling items themselves.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

I won't sell to him - I just need to report him to ebay as I don't want anyone else to get burned.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

I just blocked him and changed my password.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

If the listinig is only for local pickup, you are allowed to take cash(preferred), a USPS money order(which you can check at your local PO before giving up the product), or a flock of chickens if you want.

You can also accept paypal if you desire ............

@d-k_treasures wrote:

If the listinig is only for local pickup, you are allowed to take cash(preferred), a USPS money order(which you can check at your local PO before giving up the product), or a flock of chickens if you want.

What, no cows?  Forget about that then! 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Never take paypal for local pick up - had that one time, buyer was a scammer, used a bad paypal account. I was out the item and the money and neither ebay or paypal would help. This thread isn't about selling to him, its about warning ebay that there is a scammer lurking.
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

sent a copy to spoof@ebay.com

I know that ebay won't do anything to check it out but I thought Id try

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@allstatesauctions wrote:
Never take paypal for local pick up - had that one time, buyer was a scammer, used a bad paypal account. I was out the item and the money and neither ebay or paypal would help. This thread isn't about selling to him, its about warning ebay that there is a scammer lurking.

Ebay is not going to take action unless he ends up scamming a bunch of people and suddenly becomes a headache to them.

Or if it affects their bottom line.

Save yourself and block him.

And ever since my 4th or 5th hack here, I now change my password every  3 months.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

"This thread isn't about selling to him, its about warning ebay that there is a scammer lurking."

Who is only one of a million with more to come.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

What, no cows?  Forget about that then! 

Cows are good, too!

I just got a question from a new user who is obviously a scammer - trying the old money order at local pick up trick and wants a bunch of my info. 

Is he a buyer of yours, or just someone who's writing to you about a current listing?

I'd tell him that he doesn't need to bring a money order to a Local Pickup; plain old cash will be just as nice... plus you won't be letting the item go until the money order is cashed, so he might as well save himself the extra time and expense... Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

I agree - blocked him and changed my password

I agree - ebay doesn't care

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

I just got a question from a new user who is obviously a scammer - trying the old money order at local pick up trick and wants a bunch of my info. 

Is he a buyer of yours, or just someone who's writing to you about a current listing?

I'd tell him that he doesn't need to bring a money order to a Local Pickup; plain old cash will be just as nice... plus you won't be letting the item go until the money order is cashed, so he might as well save himself the extra time and expense... Smiley Wink

It will never get that far- hes a scam artist who's trying to hack into my account and scam people on ebay.  Never engage them, its not worth it.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply