cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I opt out of the sudden forced GTC? Its a problem.

I have a monitoring system that works really well for me in collectibles using the 30 day durations on all my listings. The forced GTC is not compatible with my system. Please tell me how to opt out of it and where to find the 30 day option I need. Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I opt out of the sudden forced GTC? Its a problem.

There is no opt out.  This new rule is killing me. I probably will start listing a lot less here.  It basically takes away free listing and promotions.  I got a promo the other day for 200 free listing however if I take advantage of that then next month they auto renewal and I have to pay fee's on 200 items.

Ebay started out as a way for people to sell there stuff laying around the house that they don't need anymore.  However with all the new rules it only works if you are a major seller.  They are wanting to get rid of the casual seller. 

At one time my ebay fee's were around 300 a month. I never paid for insertion fee's only used my free listings and special promotions to list.  With all the changes they have made over the years my monthly bill has dropped to around 10 dollars.  I know that neither is much to ebay but you would think there are more like me and that it would add up.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

There is no opt out.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Wow. Last year at this time I kept a listing quantity of around 350 items at a time, then they had those two (or three) app updates, so I reduced my buying for sales by 50% to now I’m hovering around 150 listings at a time. My buying incentives/motivations continue to decline with each of their tunnel vision updates. The monopoly has spoken; resistance is futile; you will be assimilated. LOL. Sad.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I'm not crazy about the idea either; I prefer the 30 day listing cycle myself. However, Ebay can afford to lose sellers right now; what they don't have enough of is buyers. It has occurred to me that this may in fact be (as at least a side effect) a thinning of the (sellers) herd towards Ebay's preferred business model. Or even to make more attractive a buy-out/sale down the road. I'm not saying that will happen. Just that it might make sense in that case to align listings to index with Google. 

I have often searched for items through google (mostly vintage, some new), and often find a picture of what I want, with an Ebay link attached. However, usually the item has ended, and I get a 'we've looked everywhere' page...so I can see why that could be an asset. Only time will tell. 

When this change was announced a few weeks ago, there were a lot of threads concerning it. Just in case you want to read those to see some of the ideas and time-tables presented. @mr_lincoln was helpful in making a time-table for listings to cycle only once per month (for those trying to stick to only free listings limit).

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Ebay is a vendor for sellers; a mall owner/manager for buyers. Just as in a mall, they can charge us rent, put standards on our window displays, but to tell us how to run our businesses — no, force us into all doing things the exact same way is so ... homogenous. We’re not their employees. We’re not their franchisees. We’re seller stores in their mall. So much overreach with each update. And its sad because there are so many aspects of selling online that are fun. But eBay keeps dialing up the control and overreach to the point that it overpowers the fun. But, as a monopoly, they’ve got a whole world of sellers to chew up and spit out behind them. They have no incentive to do the right thing. $$$ Oh, and I’m a 100% positive seller, so like many 100% sellers who voice displeasure, if they’re not listening to us, they’re not listening to anyone except their stockholders. $$$ 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@gew6463 wrote:

I'm not crazy about the idea either; I prefer the 30 day listing cycle myself. However, Ebay can afford to lose sellers right now; what they don't have enough of is buyers. It has occurred to me that this may in fact be (as at least a side effect) a thinning of the (sellers) herd towards Ebay's preferred business model. Or even to make more attractive a buy-out/sale down the road. I'm not saying that will happen. Just that it might make sense in that case to align listings to index with Google. 

I have often searched for items through google (mostly vintage, some new), and often find a picture of what I want, with an Ebay link attached. However, usually the item has ended, and I get a 'we've looked everywhere' page...so I can see why that could be an asset. Only time will tell. 

When this change was announced a few weeks ago, there were a lot of threads concerning it. Just in case you want to read those to see some of the ideas and time-tables presented. @mr_lincoln was helpful in making a time-table for listings to cycle only once per month (for those trying to stick to only free listings limit).

You called?

The best approach to minimizing the risk of an item being double listed in the same month is to list towards the middle to latter part of the month.  The early announcement they made was to make sure they made this change before one of the 4 day blocks in April that would yield them more Fees when items Relist twice in a month ...

April 1 - relisting means a double listing month in May

April 2 - relisting means a double listing month in July

April 3 - relisting means a double month in Aug

April 4 - relisting means a double month in Oct

Compare that to April 14 and relisting means a double month August of 2021 ...

If this whole thing had nothing to do with Home Office wanting to generate revenue from Fees then they would have added a Fee Waiver to the announcement ... but ... they ... didn't ... so until they do this is all about Fees and they down play it by saying that a double relisting "may occasionally happen" ...

It only takes an "occasional" fee from the 25 MILLION registered Selling accounts to rake in MILLIONS of dollars.  One per account in a one year period at 20 cents a listing is 5 MILLION BUCKS!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Bingo! We have a winner.

Another spring seller update. Another drop the soap moment for sellers.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@mr_lincoln  you're like Batman responding to the bat signal! lol 😄

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Yesssss!! You nailed it!

Thanks @mr_lincoln, I knew you would have my/our back 🙂 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@parkersparrow wrote:

@mr_lincoln  you're like Batman responding to the bat signal! lol 😄

Biff!  BAM!  POW!  Whammy!

batman signal.jpg

Roll the theme song!

I have Superman Slippers (1979) too!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

There is no opt out.  This new rule is killing me. I probably will start listing a lot less here.  It basically takes away free listing and promotions.  I got a promo the other day for 200 free listing however if I take advantage of that then next month they auto renewal and I have to pay fee's on 200 items.

Ebay started out as a way for people to sell there stuff laying around the house that they don't need anymore.  However with all the new rules it only works if you are a major seller.  They are wanting to get rid of the casual seller. 

At one time my ebay fee's were around 300 a month. I never paid for insertion fee's only used my free listings and special promotions to list.  With all the changes they have made over the years my monthly bill has dropped to around 10 dollars.  I know that neither is much to ebay but you would think there are more like me and that it would add up.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

The only way to truly opt out and still sell on eBay is to change everything to auction type listings.

Their "helpful" hints have guided the sellers of one-off, non UPC, &/or used items to list as auction for some time now.  I will miss my 30 day fixed, but will figure what is best to list here while moving more items elsewhere.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I’m marking this as solved. I’ve since learned this. Thank you. I’m on my way out.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I need more flexibility than that... sigh
Message 14 of 14
latest reply