cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How My Business Has Changed In 45 Days - Adapting TO GTC

We all have seen the 100's of postings on the new GTC policy and how it has effected SOME sellers. The majority who are complaining are one of a kind sellers and include markets such as Trading Cards, Comics, Music (vinyl records), used books, and collectible toys. I am unsure if other markets are experiencing the same as my focus is typically on the 5 categories listed. Some have not had any change in business and I most certainly have only seen a couple posts suggesting some have had a bump.

As sellers what we can not do is just log-in to the forum and complain unless complaining motivates you and brings positive change. When 1 door shuts one needs to find another door to walk through. All medium to large sellers should be looking at what other options are available to them that may include utilizing social media, other online market places, and networking with others that maybe experiencing the same.

In the last 45 days I have seen my brisk online store take a nose dive. My first reaction was to be **bleep** off, followed by why me, to where we are today and reacting to the change. Most do not have the luxury to sit back and see where all this is headed and all of us want to be good providers for the special people in our lives.

I have taken the following steps and wish to hear what you may be doing to combat recent trends.

1) Opened an online store with a similar market place (Rodeo) -3rd week-

2) Opened an account with the largest market place (Jungle) -1st posting went live 30 minutes ago-

3) Started posting on FB market place

4) Utilizing the List for selling as we typically only use it for purchasing.

5) Altered my buying and utilizing other site's for what I always found here.

6) Utilized this board to learn and share ideas and understand trends.

I am hoping that this message is well received and that it motivates you to make some similar changes. It literally took me 20+ days of being **bleep** off before I began to react and that did not help anybody including myself and people closest to me. 

The changes made with the Spring update are extremely unpopular with many (or at least who visits here) and our complaints are being ignored. Shame on Ebay for allowing this to continue and provide no further follow up and help sellers who have built there business on this market place. Simply put - They can see the results, choose not to share them, and treat things as business as usual. 

So in closing - It was never my intent to look elsewhere as I have really enjoyed selling, contributing, and buying on EBAY. I built a great business on this site and one that allows me to share my passions with others. I simply will not condone and sit back and watch as others experience the negatives I have. I can only imagine how many like myself are doing the same and in the end who really wins?

Have a Great Easter weekend and happy selling.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: How My Business Has Changed In 45 Days - Adapting TO GTC

I know that many dissatisfied with the new GTC change are indeed changing up their business on where they sell, what they sell and how they sell. I sell mostly clothing and have begun utilizing other sites as I sell mostly OOAK. It's too early to really see how our business are affected as the latest I've heard is that most items take more than 30 days to sell and that's why this change was implemented.

It's a big change and hardship for some and though I usually will go to bat for Ebay in their changes and policies - I'm quite dissatisfied with this one and will give it a couple of months to see if there is any positive results for me. There are always a variety of reasons why sales are down - mostly due to visibility or lack of but economy, the type of buyer a venue attracts and glitches are big contributors. March for me was great here - this month I'm down on Ebay and way up on other venues.

Let people complain and get it out - even if it doesn't produce positive results as they are going to do it anyways whether we say differently.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

From what I am seeing on this forum clothing has taken a beating. I only have a handful of listing that are mostly new entertainment and sports t-shirts. Since GTC I do not believe I have sold a single one.

I also believe in giving things a chance but I feel I already knew the answer - About 18 months ago I tried GTC and it did not net any results. I actually have kept the listings as GTC and even before the change. 

Both numbers listed are active postings and were generated some time ago. Both albums should have been long gone yet with 450 and 500 views both are still available. I have other examples but both being provided show that a very attractive item is performing poorly via GTC. In most cases this vinyl would sell in 30 - 60 days and vintage rock is in high demand. So my opinion, if this vinyl does not sell in 18 months via GTC, I stand little to no chance selling a Cyndi Lauper, Chicago, Foreigner, or Stray Cats album.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Once buyers realize that there is NO urgency to bid,  sales will be worse.   Again further proof that ebay is only interested in the seller fees.   Don't let ebay win.  End your listings and start when you want.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

MS. Rod - That brings up a very interesting subject and I would love to share the data with you. I usually have a nice surge in sales when my listings are about to end.

Last year I took a week off for 4th of July and ended a bunch of listings. I have about 4,000 listings that are now ending on the 11th and I believe I reactivated them around July 14th of last year. Due to some 31 day months they are now ending on the 11th. When this cycle ends I get a huge surge in sales and in many cases from inventory that is a year old. This cycle of around 4,000 netted the days sales at $204.00 and is typically around $500-600.

When I search ebay, I always start with the following 1) item description 2) ending soonest 3)  Auctions - Buying Format. What guys like me are missing is step 2 that brought in a great deal of sales. I know I am not alone searching like this as many have stated that they do the same. 

I hope this info helps.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Why do you say you are missing ending soonest?

GTCs are just like 30 day listings when it comes to ending soonest. They show up in the ending soonest search as they are about to roll over, just as a 30 day listing shows up there as it is about to end. And this is true each time a GTC is about to roll over.

So, if you had been using 30 day listings, and you are now using GTC, there's no difference when it comes to ending soonest. If a watcher has the GTC on his watch list, he is notified that it is about to end, just like with 30 day listings.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Since I've had the Twin Terrors here for the past week for spring break golf camp (unloaded them back at their home last night, finally), I've been able to only skim the posts and haven't paid much attention to ebay other than I've sold very little this week.

I know I come across to some as a "GTC supporter" but that is not the case; I simply have no idea how this new policy will affect my sales/listings.  Other than those early years when every listing was an auction, I've always done 30-day FP so I have no experience with GTC.   

I also had absolutely no idea how many sellers were using  3-, 5-, 7-, 10-day relists as sales tactics to get bumps in search.  I should have figured that out but blithely went on my 30-day way.   I guess I always associated those timeframes with auctions, not FP listings.

I've been fairly blasé about the whole thing because a) I can't do a darn thing about it and b) I am truly out of here when either my inventory is gone or I'm sucked into MP.   If I planned to stay longer, I still wouldn't be drawing a line in the sand right now - I QUIT I'M LEAVING HERE'S MY NOSE - because I would need to see several months of results before making the dramatic flounce out (those on the old CAB know what that means).

I sincerely appreciate some of the tips and explanations that have been posted here.  I think OP's post is outstanding; figure out how to keep going, either here or elsewhere.

During my scant midnight oil-burning work this past week (see above re Twin Terrors), I've done research in Completeds and such and I will say this:  Auctions are still going unsold.  Just page after page, listing after listing, with no bids, so is that tactic working for anyone?   I still have to filter them out in searching and there are more now than ever.

What is affecting me the most at this time, and it's not that big of a deal but I pondered this immediately upon the GTC announcement, is the growing inability to see Sold and Unsold in Completeds.  Everything is green, which looks really good for ebay, eh?  I've done no new listings for well over a week.  I did sell something this morning on its 30th day; one of the few listings I had left that were not GTC yet.

To paraphrase, only The  Shadow knows what lurks ahead ...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I was one who tried listing auctions on both of my accounts here. I tried 2 approaches:

1) Free shipping with least amount I was willing to take on an item, for many this was $5 (cover shipping).
2) .99c start price no matter what it was, buyer pays shipping.

I watched them ALL roll off unsold, some with watchers too.

I've sent offers to all my watchers. 1 sale the very first day they introduced make an offer to buyers.
No bites after that, I suspect many buyers right now are getting inundated with offers if they are watchers.

All the other sales ideas fell short for me. For now, I am selling almost exclusively on other platforms which have saved my bacon.

Not my first choice, but online sales are the only money I have coming in and I can't afford to wait for eBay sales anymore, they are few and far between and always sell for LESS than any other site now too. I can't give things away here now.

I do get the occasional person wanting something for free shipping AND a lower price.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@davewearsredsox 

I hear you and agree. This morning I received an ebay messages notice for 200 free listings. Within the notice it says: See What's Trending before You List. It shows a new fishing reel, a new golf club, and a pile of vinyl records. When you click on the pile it goes into this Record Store Day then "Pledged" Stores (what does that mean?) and they are all to me, Mega sellers. Didn't bother to click on any of them. Then below there is another section "Your old vinyl records could be worth big bucks." 

Here is the link (hope it works). Only thing worth it to me was doing a copy and print out of what ebay considers condition since I have boxes of vinyl records I have never attempted to list. You may have already seen these eBay Ads, but I usually never go to the eBay Main page, but this was in my ebay email promoting 200 free listings up til April 25 (which never in my lifetime have I ever used). Your post was very spot on. Thank you.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Vinyl-Records/176985/bn_1860303?mi_u=43212413851

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Excellent post davewearsredsox. I've watched over 100 listings of mine (vinyl records) end today without a sale,not even a .99 cent one,this is unheard of for me. True i have sold upwards of $200.00 in April since GTC reared it ugly head,this solely being with Auction Style/Buy It Now,to me buyers seem loath to use Buy It Now when associated with Auction Style. I have not made one sale with GTC as of yet. 

GTC is nothing short of a travesty and outrage for lots of us,i'm a veteran seller since 1999 & this is like nothing i've ever seen on ebay.  Fortunately i'm selling rather well on another site,even though it does not have the traffic ebay does. I really don't want to leave ebay,there are many things i like about ebay,GTC not one of them. This whole GTC fiasco has prompted me to reevaluate and revamp my whole vinyl record selling business. I will still utilize ebay to sell high dollar/very desirable records,but i'm going to downsize my ebay platform & sell in other platforms/venues/locally,possibly GTC could become a benefit in a bizarre way for prompting me to seek out new venues? 

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@vinylrecon wrote:

Excellent post davewearsredsox. I've watched over 100 listings of mine (vinyl records) end today without a sale,not even a .99 cent one,this is unheard of for me. True i have sold upwards of $200.00 in April since GTC reared it ugly head,this solely being with Auction Style/Buy It Now,to me buyers seem loath to use Buy It Now when associated with Auction Style. I have not made one sale with GTC as of yet. 

GTC is nothing short of a travesty and outrage for lots of us,i'm a veteran seller since 1999 & this is like nothing i've ever seen on ebay.  Fortunately i'm selling rather well on another site,even though it does not have the traffic ebay does. I really don't want to leave ebay,there are many things i like about ebay,GTC not one of them. This whole GTC fiasco has prompted me to reevaluate and revamp my whole vinyl record selling business. I will still utilize ebay to sell high dollar/very desirable records,but i'm going to downsize my ebay platform & sell in other platforms/venues/locally,possibly GTC could become a benefit in a bizarre way for prompting me to seek out new venues? 

Yes its pretty widely-regarded as an epic failure. I have not saw one post stating its increased sales. Of course, the intent was to make money off relisting fees to begin with. Ebay was pretty bad before this, The River keeps growing, I expect Ebay to be sold-off rather soon. Without new leadership, with a clear vision to expand the core marketplace, using this site for anything other than an odds and end type sell or buy is pointless.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

The Difference is MOST of One of a Kind Sellers Used 7 day listings. There was an Urgency to purchase as they didn't know if it would be there Next week. Now There are Tons of Just Watchers no Buyers. They know the Item will be there forever. What Business Anywhere Can Pay the Bills and Exist Hoping for a Few Sales in 30 Days MAYBE. GTC is the Worst Thing to Force Down Everyones Throats. I Made a Living on 7 Day Listings for Years. Now I am Wondering How Long I can Keep the Roof over My Head. Literally. This is Just Sickening. I never Used 30 day Listings Did Not Want to. I am Not Worried about Fees I pay Dearly for an Anchor Store, which seems worthless now. Most Sellers who Made their Living on Here Don't Have the Luxury of Lets See How it Pans Out.
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@frenchblueshutters wrote:
The Difference is MOST of One of a Kind Sellers Used 7 day listings. There was an Urgency to purchase as they didn't know if it would be there Next week. Now There are Tons of Just Watchers no Buyers. They know the Item will be there forever. What Business Anywhere Can Pay the Bills and Exist Hoping for a Few Sales in 30 Days MAYBE. GTC is the Worst Thing to Force Down Everyones Throats. I Made a Living on 7 Day Listings for Years. Now I am Wondering How Long I can Keep the Roof over My Head. Literally. This is Just Sickening. I never Used 30 day Listings Did Not Want to. I am Not Worried about Fees I pay Dearly for an Anchor Store, which seems worthless now. Most Sellers who Made their Living on Here Don't Have the Luxury of Lets See How it Pans Out.

I am so empathetic to your pain! I know whats it like to in your situation and I feel for you! Ebay screws with peoples livelihoods and doesn't care. I feel your emotions in your words and I know you feel powerless but you need not let Ebay treat you like this. You can do whats best for you but do not get stuck thinking you have no other options. Conforming to Ebays never-ending changes, while they continue to profit as you make less and less, all the while having Ebay ignore your concerns, is exactly what Ebay wants and expects you to do.  

I can't make decisions for you but open your mind and expand your horizons. Like in relationships, if you aren't giving me what I need, as scary as it may be, I deserve to find someone that does or at least be confident in myself enough that I refuse to be abused.

This place will figure it out someday. When whats left of the hyper-speed ever-migrating "noise" continues to adapt this mindset, that "noise" will be replaced by silence.  Its getting there pretty quick.

Best of luck to you!

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Greetings davewearsredsox and all the other contributors,

This new GTC is NOT what I signed up for!  All control now sits with eBay so they can increase fees from the sellers.

I have a basic store which allows me to list 250 fixed and 250 auction items per month.  With the normal 30 day end date on listings, I have the control of when I'd like to relist the item, or possibly hold it, give it to charity, etc.  My new plan will be to close my fixed items early so I remain in control of the listing time and avoid the eBay squeeze on fees.  Another of my new thoughts (thanks to many of the suggestions on here) is to research new areas away from eBay.  After 17 years on eBay, my time here is getting shorter due to the new, improved, eBay-centered policies.

Remember the "good old days" when a 30 day listing cost 3 cents?  

Wishing all a lovely Easter!

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I know that many dissatisfied with the new GTC change are indeed changing up their business on where they sell, what they sell and how they sell. I sell mostly clothing and have begun utilizing other sites as I sell mostly OOAK. It's too early to really see how our business are affected as the latest.

I've heard is that most items take more than 30 days to sell and that's why this change was implemented.

This is the thing I am trying to get people to understand.

It does not take more than 30 days for a an item to sell. Sales were working very well for sellers including myself that ran 7-10 day listings. Buyers could see that an item was about to end and they wanted to get it before it did.

@tunicaslot  I am not saying anything against you. Just the misnomer that items have to sit before they sell. I did not like having items in stock for 30 days. That is why I used the 10 day. It worked good for me. When my items approached the last few days of the listing. That is when I saw the most activity. Now that has been taken away.

It's a big change and hardship for some and though I usually will go to bat for Ebay in their changes and policies - I'm quite dissatisfied with this one and will give it a couple of months to see if there is any positive results for me. There are always a variety of reasons why sales are down - mostly due to visibility or lack of but economy, the type of buyer a venue attracts and glitches are big contributors. March for me was great here - this month I'm down on Ebay and way up on other venues.

Let people complain and get it out - even if it doesn't produce positive results as they are going to do it anyways whether we say differently.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply