cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding funds for 30 days

I get that eBay has to hold funds for a time, especially with very expensive items but we have been forced to opt into this new managed payments and now the funds can be held hostage for 30DAYS!?!?!?! It was bad enough that PayPal did it for 21 days.  eBay : News flash - if ANYONE is paying over $2000 on an item and there is ANYTHING wrong with that transaction, they will not wait 30 days to report it!!!!!! Be serious eBay.  You are holding that money hostage for 30 days and that is absolutely ridiculous.  You are not keeping buyers safe by doing this, you are just PISSING OFF good sellers that are sending out what they sold as promised and then have to wait a month to get paid?!?!?!  So disappointing that eBay is going in this bad direction.  

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Holding funds for 30 days

"And then every seller changed their S&H to 30 days"

eBay is doing this for liability and I can kind of understand why but Im not a big fan of it too.

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

yea that sucs . it was your item,e bay got paid there fvf up front . thats all they care for now  lets  pass your 3gs to  adyen **bleep** hole of a ipo manage company to get interest on your money . there crooks soon they will fall///////

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

no there  not . there doing this cause there desperate for money .no liability  there crooks 2 3 thou is good interest  there crooks 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

This just happened to me, though I've been a member for 15 years. Buyer paid, item was delivered, buyer is happy and Ebay forced me to use their payout method and is holding my money for 30 days.  They say the buy must message them and the buyer cannot find any option to contact them.  This is not right, not to mention I paid a final value fee or "commission" on the sales tax also.   How can they get away with holding money and profiting on sales tax?  

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

🤔

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

This just happened to me, though I've been a member for 15 years. Buyer paid, item was delivered, buyer is happy and Ebay forced me to use their payout method and is holding my money for 30 days.  They say the buy must message them and the buyer cannot find any option to contact them.  This is not right, not to mention I paid a final value fee or "commission" on the sales tax also.   How can they get away with holding money and profiting on sales tax?  

Because you agree to it using the site. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Just happened to me too. I have been on this site since like 2006 and have never had my payment held for a month. I’m never selling anything on here ever again. 

this is **bleep**. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

mcgl_2292
Adventurer

Absolutely agree with every comment made here! AND on the topic of "Holding Funds for 30 Days"!!: I just discovered this very obscure verbiage within eBay's "Customer Service Help" section. It is not easy to find and still it is an extremely vague definition of "Payment Holds" under <Types of Transaction Holds> and an even more confusing explanation!  "We may also place a payment on hold if we need to review the details of a transaction. Category, price, and seller standing can all contribute to this decision. Transaction holds are usually maintained for a maximum of 30 days." - eBay's helpful insight into "Payment Holds"?? really? eBay gives every reason for payment holds and they all seem troublesome and then I read "Category, price, and seller standing can all contribute to this decision" - that just sounds disingenuous to me. I presume the only natural response from sellers to this type of business practice is an overwhelming disincentive to continue and conduct business on eBay's platform. As with me, if I sell a high-valued & high-priced item, I obviously must have a high financial stack and a substantial investment within that item, and that I am anticipating a certain projected ROI, post-sale. Now, after that transaction you should realize a profit margin / return on your investment, correct? how about the rate of that return (ex: timeframe) and when accounting for the time value of money and its net present value we all are essentially undertaking additional risk & cost!! It may be marginal, but it still exists. There is a reason loans have interest and credit cards have late fees after 30 days! but I digress. The point is straightforward, Sellers need their payouts as soon as possible! to reclaim initial costs, sustain a positive cash flow, and have a buffer for unexpected financial obstacles... maybe the obstacle is related to an eBay buyer-member and they are demanding a refund on a similarly priced item? and considering your eBay available account funds are currently "unbalanced", you must now resort to an alternative financial resolution! very unreasonable business policies & practices, if you ask me.  

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I agree. I used to sell a lot on eBay a few years ago, but they became so "seller-unfriendly" that we started selling elsewhere. I just listed a few things recently and find they are holding my money for 30 days! Seriously?!?!? This just reminded me of how horrible eBay is for sellers and why I quit. I will get through this batch and I am DONE with eBay. There are so many better options out there now.

BTW - I am a 20-year member and have a positive feedback of 2943! Where, oh where, is Meg Whitman?

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

The item was delivered

Accepted
Step 1 - Completed - Accepted Fri, Oct 8Fri, Oct 8
In transit
Step 2 - Completed - In transit
Out for delivery
Step 3 - Completed - Out for delivery
Delivered
Step 4 - Completed - Delivered Mon, Oct 11Mon, Oct 11
Tracking details
USPS tracking #9405508205498225579544
  • Oct 11, 2021
  • 5:01pm
  • DELIVERED LEFT WITH INDIVIDUAL
  • TAMPA, FL 33624
  • Oct 11, 2021
  • 2:21pm
  • ARRIVAL AT UNIT
  • TAMPA, FL 33624
  • Oct 11, 2021
  • 7:35am
  • ARRIVAL AT UNIT
  • TAMPA, FL 33624
  • Oct 10, 2021
  • 5:44am
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • TAMPA, FL 33630
  • Oct 10, 2021
  • 3:22am
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY.......EBAY PUT A HOLD ON MY MONEY FOR 30 PLUS DAY'S  I HAVE BEEN WITH EBAY FOR OVER 10 YEARS ,, I DON'T DO **bleep**, DON'T LIKE **bleep**, EBAY HOLDING MY MONEY FOR 30DAYS IS ALL **bleep** AND I WILL DELETE MY EBAY ACCOUNT...... 
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Totally unbelievable just sold an item and was told 30 days I need the money now the buyer is getting the item and I have to wait. I cancelled the sale and will not be selling ever again. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Me neither I cancelled the sale. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

that is called " float"

ebay is making money on money that is yours while at the same time that  money is loosing value at 7%  per year ( at current inflation rate) while they are denying you access to it. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply