cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ticket item not picked up from the post office - what happens next?

I sold a high ticket item that was sent with a signature confirmation. 
Delivery was attempted and then it was returned to the P.O. To await pickup.  
that was on Jan, 6.  No pickup,  I see that the P.0 only waits for 15 days and then is supposed to return the item to the sender.  Could the buyer then say he hadn’t received the item and demand a refund?  What is my obligation?  Of course, I don’t know if I will get it back.

(The item was sold on Jan. 29). 
thanks.  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: High ticket item not picked up from the post office - what happens next?

Error - sold on Dec 29. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@fairmargo 

Is it the $1300 gold necklace?

Now this is weird and never seen this before but when I pulled up your sold to view, briefly popped a message to you stating " Alert message xxx". It then went away but it was an ebay message.

Now your Question: the post office should return your package to you if undeliverable.  You will have to refund buyer once you received package back. Have you been in contact with that post office ( their direct number)?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@fairmargo wrote:

I sold a high ticket item that was sent with a signature confirmation. 
Delivery was attempted and then it was returned to the P.O. To await pickup.  
that was on Jan, 6.  No pickup,  I see that the P.0 only waits for 15 days and then is supposed to return the item to the sender.  Could the buyer then say he hadn’t received the item and demand a refund?  

They could try to open an INR with eBay, but "attempted delivery" is considered the same as "delivered", so you'd be ok if that was the extent of the issue.

However, in the event of a chargeback/payment dispute, your best bet would be to accept the dispute and refund the buyer (whether the item returned to you or not) - seller protection is only extended if the item has a "delivered" status in these cases.

@fairmargo wrote:

What is my obligation?  Of course, I don’t know if I will get it back.

It's been my experience that items returned to sender do eventually make it back, but it can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks (sometimes longer). As long as the buyer doesn't file a chargeback, just remember they're responsible for providing a sufficient address - if it takes a while to get back to you, that's on them.

Once you get the item back, you can issue the buyer a partial refund less shipping (although you're not technically required to under eBay's MBG). Keep in mind that you do not get FVF credit for partial refunds - if the price of the item is significant, you might be better off issuing a full refund.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

...USPS will definitely return the package back to the sender/you since it was Signature Confirmation...

...it won't be arrived at your address for at least another week, sometimes could be little bit longer depends on PO location for processing mail...also keep in mind that USPS will request your signature at the time of delivery your returning package...

...refund your buyer as soon as you got back your item...refund the cost of item + sales tax only, not shipping cost if your listing didn't offer "free shipping"...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I addition to all the good replies above, you might want to block the buyer so they can't do the same thing again:  https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

...refund your buyer as soon as you got back your item...refund the cost of item + sales tax only, not shipping cost if your listing didn't offer "free shipping"...

You would not refund the sales tax since you were not the one that received it. EBay has the sales tax money from the sale. Even if the item offered free shipping I would still not refund the cost I paid for the shipping. If the item sold for $100 with free shipping and I had to pay $10 and the eBay fees were $12 I would only refund the buyer $78. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you all for your replies.
Why do you think I should call the post office directly?  
I had thought it was 30 days, but just saw it is only 15.

I guess they could be make an exception for this buyer and hold the item longer?  
I thought that a buyer only has 30 or 31 days to file a complaint.  
is that wrong? 
I was hoping the 30 or 31 days would go by and then that would be the end of it. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply