cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is one reason why Sales are down for 2022

• EBay has lost almost $2 Billion Dollars in the past 9 months.
  • EBay net income/loss for the quarter ending September 30, 2022 was $-1.941B, a 116.68% decline year-over-year.
Message 1 of 182
latest reply
181 REPLIES 181

Re: Here is one reason why Sales are down for 2022

They have driven away many good sellers for one or more reasons.  Self-inflicted.  They refuse to change course.  Others come in but may not have the volume or reputations, and many new ones will leave because they will be targeted by scammers, having no/low feedback.

Didnt help upper mgmt said they don't want low value (low dollar item) sellers here despite those sellers making the bulk of ebay's revenues.  They want high value, high dollar items to save them but dont back these sellers when buyer fraud hits them.  They cant afford to take the risk to sell here when ebay doesn't have their backs with buyer fraud, so ebay will lose them.  Their financial strategy for the site will not work as they defeat their own plan.

Message 151 of 182
latest reply

I finally took the plunge and did an Amazon buy. I still do not have an account but was able to use someone else's. Here's what I found.

!. Amazons search engine is much better than Ebay's. Light years ahead IMO, not perfect but much easier to deal with. I still see some things I didn't ask for but at least they were related to what I was buying.

2. Pricing was much better overall. I was surprised to find just how bad some prices on Ebay were, that I could actually find it cheaper locally at Lowes (it was a tool buy). Now in fairness to Ebay I understand that they don't sell anything, so they have no control over listed prices or product availability.

3. Shipping is where I see that Ebay's customers, the sellers, have something of an advantage. The final price on my purchase was well above the limit that should have allowed me fast and free shipping. It did not because some items were sold by Amazon directly while a couple were from 3rd party sellers. And one order just shipped today 13 days after I ordered it. Can't say I'm too impressed with that tidbit of misdirection. At least with Ebay the sellers state up front the cost and manner of shipping. Now As I tracked my order I could have "adjusted" the time to receive my item if I paid more money but considering what it was, I just let it stand. 

This is not to say that I'm going to rush out and get an Amazon account because I'm not. The constant hints that if I get prime, I'll get so much more is annoying to say the least. But no doubt about it Ebay has a major problem here along with all their other problems many of which are self inflicted.

Message 152 of 182
latest reply

the biggest problem with our sales, is ebay is loosing market share, customers.  they claim that around 15% of their customer base purchase 70% of all sales on ebay.  these are repeat customers, and they are real.  the rest are eye candy, and are useless numbers.   

we had over 4600 sales in 2021 and less than 3000 in 2022 despite increasing our listings by 20% to nearly 7500 items for sale.  no matter what we read this is the same problems all of my dealer friends are experiencing. ebay is not promoting there site, there search engine doesn't bring up many of the item we sell,  even-though the words in the search bar are directly in the ebay title.  

the new item specifics tries to cover everything, but excludes more than it helps. search engines are not picking up ebay listings, causing lost opportunities.  ebay pricing is lower than most other sites, but that is not 

promoted.  ebay's diversity of product new or used is second to none, but again, not promoted.  ebay has dropped from 2nd to 3rd largest marketplace, and it is only time before others catch it in size. 

we are hiring staff to increase our online presences, but that investment will be more about adding the other marketplaces.  as they grow, so will our investment.  the day of only one marketplace seller is  gone.  ebay is going to find itself in the middle of the top 10 marketplace sooner than later and the only thing that can change this is new guidance.  walmart.com hired new management and they changed there place in the marketplace from 4th to 2nd in a few year.   that is what leadership can do.  ebay is a great idea, but in need of change, all over.  if not this site will be bought and disappear into one of the others for its repeat customers and anchor stores.  mtctoys.com

Message 153 of 182
latest reply

Try selling in any market other than the USA. I used to do well on ebay 15 years ago...  I had two stores and a private account. It's now irrelevant in Australia.... international shipping costs are ridiculous and domestic options are superior in every way.

Message 154 of 182
latest reply

the biggest problem with our sales, is ebay is loosing market share, customers.  they claim that around 15% of their customer base purchase 70% of all sales on ebay.  these are repeat customers, and they are real.  the rest are eye candy, and are useless numbers.   

we had over 4600 sales in 2021 and less than 3000 in 2022 despite increasing our listings by 20% to nearly 7500 items for sale.  no matter what we read this is the same problems all of my dealer friends are experiencing. ebay is not promoting there site, there search engine doesn't bring up many of the item we sell,  even-though the words in the search bar are directly in the ebay title.  

the new item specifics tries to cover everything, but excludes more than it helps. search engines are not picking up ebay listings, causing lost opportunities.  ebay pricing is lower than most other sites, but that is not 

promoted.  ebay's diversity of product new or used is second to none, but again, not promoted.  ebay has dropped from 2nd to 3rd largest marketplace, and it is only time before others catch it in size. 

we are hiring staff to increase our online presences, but that investment will be more about adding the other marketplaces.  as they grow, so will our investment.  the day of only one marketplace seller is  gone.  ebay is going to find itself in the middle of the top 10 marketplace sooner than later and the only thing that can change this is new guidance.  walmart.com hired new management and they changed there place in the marketplace from 4th to 2nd in a few year.   that is what leadership can do.  ebay is a great idea, but in need of change, all over.  if not this site will be bought and disappear into one of the others for its repeat customers and anchor stores.  mtctoys.com

I am a small time seller but could not agree more on the diversification. EBay used to hold a quasi monopoly in the ecommerce marketplace but that began to fade away many years ago. There is so much competition in the ecommerce marketplace a lot of sellers are utilizing multiple platforms/venues to move their merchandise. I began to diversify quite some time ago and while I still find eBay to be a viable platform I sell less than 20% of my items on eBay these days and I buy almost nothing on eBay. 

I use everything from ecommerce platforms, local venues, consignment stores and consignment auction houses. I really like the later since most of them levy the fees on the buyer not the seller or they split the fees between the buyer and seller. 

Message 155 of 182
latest reply

"As to "promotions". Sellers are not required to use promotions. Seller CHOOSE to use promotions. Further it is the seller that decides how much more in FVFs they are willing to pay for the sale. Sometimes sellers need to step up and accept when they have options. Not everything is Ebay's fault. If you don't like the promotion tool, simply don't use it. We have 19 million active sellers on Ebay. Less than ONE million of them use promoted listings."

And if you don't promote your item it is buried in the search and it falls under the "search Additional items"

little tab to see the rest of the listings because if there are a lot of listings for that item only the top 100 will show.

Message 156 of 182
latest reply

I have been selling from a basic store since 2019. I have been frustrated with CS. As a seller in the beginning issues that bring profit to eBay and the seller worked out fine. Then someone at eBay had a great idea. Send CS people home. I have over 5k items for sale and my primary sales are media.  Ever since August 2022 someone in the listing dept. has been charging me for listings that should have not been charged. Nobody likes to be felt like they were cheated. I found the problem and brought it to their attention, but, I had to beg for them to investigate, even after giving proof. This month Feb. 1 2023 they did it again. I listed 500 items and over an hour later the charges started to come. Over 400 listings at .25 each. Now eBay CS said an agent will call. 3 times and no call. That's how you lose sales. I am in the process of working with Amazon to convert. You can't and will not generate sales if your supplier leaves and gives their business to another platform.

Message 157 of 182
latest reply

If I don't find what I'm looking for in the first page, I quit looking and search somewhere else.

Message 158 of 182
latest reply

Yes i get those emails too...and pretty much done with ebay using my own site doing better and trying etsy...ebay is not for the seller...i can see that....watchers are down considerably. People emaililng wanting a better deal etc...the vultures are here for sure...

Message 159 of 182
latest reply

Good afternoon, eBay stock will continue to tumble for the various following reasons

First: I a stockholder but I am also a seller, eBay has no customer service whatsoever, they are continuously raising the percentage rates for all their sellers but providing no quality customer service.

I recently went online to speak to the eBay community regarding the 12% loss of sellers last year and the continuous flight of sellers this year. Instead of getting any reply I was giving a warning because the article was duplicated on two parts of the sites.

The CEO down to the lowest employer on the totem pole does not respect nor do they care what is happening to the marketplace and the bidding aspect of eBay that was its original roots.

This attitude, directly is a response to the CEO and his attitude that he has propagating in the corporation. Since last year we have already seen a increase in rates again, this is to cover up the major problem that is eventually going to destroy eBay. Simply put the flight of the public including sellersand customers from the website due to ineffective management and policies.

Unfortunately change is not on the horizon, I advise anyone who has eBay start to start considering selling it, because the future does not look well for eBay. Eventually they will not could be able to increase probability on the back of what is left because the carcass, it finally be consumed by the maggot  policies and the stench of callousness towards their customer base including their sellers.

Message 160 of 182
latest reply

Sounds like they need to lower fees instead of raise them. Smh

Message 161 of 182
latest reply

I'll be leaving eBay as well too. Impossible to be competitive and still make a profit.  13%+ additional fees is wild! 

Message 162 of 182
latest reply

Well we do not know all of the reasons but we do know that for us it is a domino effect as we have declined our purchases as far as our sales income as fallen as we do not have the cash flow to buy on eBay like we used to. We also source much of our basic items elsewhere as eBay has become very expensive. The domino effect also works against eBay in the other direction. For example, as the USPS continues to raise prices and eliminate services and eBay cut gets larger and larger. eBay is also trying to micromanage everything. Our international sales have fallen pff the table every since they introduced EIS with the eye to take an cut of the revenue with no doubt. Like stones thrown into the pond there are ripples being produced . eBay has always been short sighted that way as they constantly make changes that take away seller's time from selling and do not take into account the effects of the ripples. Programs like the GA and EIS are ill conceived and not thought out. For example, EIS started out with a $500 limit per sale, then it was changed to $1000 per new listing and I thought it was going to be changed to $2500 limit at the end of March . In the meantime, we have had several buyer buyer that did not pay and several that canceled their orders. With GPS that did not happen. It took several years for GPS to gain traction. GPS was working but eBay just tossed it out. The pond is now full of stones.

Message 163 of 182
latest reply

The problem is all of these big companies selling same items as we do, at a cost way below what he can afford to offer, plus you have Amazon, where you can usually get the same items, same day on Amazon….So why would people come to us? When they can order and have same product same day?  I used to have sales every day, now it’s a few times a month, so i created my own website and it’s doing pretty good….Plus by the time you sale on Ebay with all of their fees and shipping costs, you basically just gave away your product, unless it’s something pricey.

Message 164 of 182
latest reply

The sales are down because the tax collection that was forced onto people making over $600. The thought is so evil and sickening, I guess that is why noone sees it. I know more people than I can count that quit eBay vs. losing government benefits. A tax on the poor! I must be only a certain group that uses ebay because I do not hear any outrage about the new poor tax!

Message 165 of 182
latest reply