cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is one reason why Sales are down for 2022

• EBay has lost almost $2 Billion Dollars in the past 9 months.
  • EBay net income/loss for the quarter ending September 30, 2022 was $-1.941B, a 116.68% decline year-over-year.
Message 1 of 182
latest reply
181 REPLIES 181

@guardian6c wrote:
  • EBay net income/loss for the quarter ending September 30, 2022 was $-1.941B, a 116.68% decline year-over-year.

Could you quote your source please?

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 2 of 182
latest reply

If you look at ebay's quarterly reports you can see they lose money every quarter except Q4 in which they make more than enough to offset all the other quarters. Yes, ebay lost nearly 2 billion dollars Q 1-3 but they MADE 2 billion dollars last Q4.

It is almost as if their report looks like that of every other retailer!

Message 3 of 182
latest reply

I'm trying to get a grasp of how ebays earnings affect my sales.

"Here's one reason why sales are down for 2022" quoting the OP.

Do buyers stop buying Beanie Babies and video games when ebays stock dips?

Message 4 of 182
latest reply

EBay is paying dividends to stockholders of 88c a share on the money they "lost".

Do you mean they made less money in 2022 than in 2021?  That's not a "loss" that's a lower profit.

Message 5 of 182
latest reply

Also, ebay's loss or gain has very little to do with the success of any individual seller. There are people out there just killing it in every single niche possible on ebay, including garage sale pickers. I'll bet there is even someone out there who manages to someone make a living selling beanie babies full time.

Get better at what you do and the money will come. 

Message 6 of 182
latest reply

Looking at the original poster's items. I don't think the success or failure or gain or loss on ebay would effect the sale of those things one bit. I can't even think of anyplace other than ebay anyone would even look for those items, maybe a speciality message board that would certainly be full of cheapskate experts who won't pay the going rate on anything (that is my experience with all specialty groups).

Message 7 of 182
latest reply

The earnings are a symptom, slow sales are a symptom attributed to a decline of 40,000,000 active buyers since Q4 of 2018 (179,000,000 Q4 2018 now 138,000,000 Q3 2022) according to statista number of active EBay users.  EBay has masterfully masked their loss of buyers by increasing fees, promoted listings, managed payments etc. which continues to result in a loss of sellers.  Those levers that were pulled to meet the earnings expectations for their investors will eventually run dry while the actual problem of attracting buyers (and sellers) continues to go unaddressed.

Message 8 of 182
latest reply

The Ebay's quarterly report has little effect as to why buyers are not purchasing your items.

Message 9 of 182
latest reply

@guardian6c wrote:

Pardon my math but wouldn't any decline over 100% mean they are LOSING money?

If I made a billion dollars last year and sales declined 100% that would be zero.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 10 of 182
latest reply

How dare you try to bring logic into a discussion.     You are 100% right.    Or 100% wrong.    

Not really sure about the math.   

Message 11 of 182
latest reply

Well something is happening to affect sales. I've sold here since 2013 and know 20 other seasoned eBay sellers in my rural area and ALL of us have historically made $ hand-over-fist this time of year yet NONE are now. Most have also experienced at least one long 7-10 day unheard of (for us) stretch with zero sales. It has become like living in recurring episodes of the Twilight Zone. Promoted Listings, Coupons, Price reductions, etc...nothing is making a difference.

Methinks a variety of factors have converged to create the Perfect Sh!t Storm for small, online picker sellers. We're a hangin' on for dear life, though, hoping and praying the boat doesn't go down, pondering all the while what to do if it does. Plan B sucks.

Message 12 of 182
latest reply

Can online sales suffer if after 2 Christmas seasons of Covid B & M stores are thriving?

Wife, daughter, DIL hit Target and Lowes today shopping.    Busy-Busy-Busy.      They went to Walmart 

and got back in the car and left because of the crowded Aisles.

Wife and I went to Meijers yesterday to look at Toys for Grankids and the parking lot was full and 

the aisles were crowded.

Covid didn't hurt online sales any 2020 and 2021     2022 it's not as big an issue and maybe people

are going back to their in person shopping.

Plus,    Christmas is still 43 days off.   Still plenty of time to make sales on ebay.

Message 13 of 182
latest reply

I sell vintage paper movie items, I had 2 sales in 3 weeks, I do not think people are buying or looking on ebay anymore,for vintage paper, I see tons of free listing on facebook,which cost nothing,ebay does not promote there company anymore,and keeps on with there high fees, they are pushing vendors off there site,also no overseas sales ever,and working with there site,gets harder every few months, when they decide to force there changes on us, you would think a billion dollar company,would be able to create a easy site to work with,but no, I have to go to computer school,every few months,just to keep up with there changes,the only time I sell something is by pure luck, the time I spend on putting stuff up, is less than a minimal wage.we are the sellers that made there company what it is ,it's a shame. 

Message 14 of 182
latest reply

@guardian6c   If you list more than 18 items, your sales may go up

Message 15 of 182
latest reply