cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decipher what this buyer wants

Here I am again with another one of these guys... I don't know if the buyer is being lazy or what. Apparently MV listings just creates more and more problems confusing buyers I guess. Ordering seems pretty simple to me... choose color, choose size, quantity, click add. But then again I might be biased because I've been selling for so long. Here we go.

Buyer buys 2 types of shirts (4 of each type) totaling to almost $200... yes I know, they are expensive (but nice) shirts. One type is Black, size 2XL. The other type is Blue, Size L. They leave me a buyer message that states "I want them in different colors, but not black color size XL adult thanks"

What the heck does that mean? Yes I offer about 10 different colors of the shirts, can't you add them each individually and correctly to avoid confusion? I'm getting quite more and more buyers telling me they want a different color/size when they purchased one nowhere similar to what they wanted. Are more and more buyers getting confused with MV listings, or are they being lazy? And what's up with the last half of their sentence... they don't want black, but half their order is black. Or do they not want Black XL? Or is it they want everything in XL Adult? Everything I have is already Adult sizes in the listings. They never told me to give different sizes, so why did they comment on XL when they didn't even order XL?

Am I that burnt out this late at night that I can't figure this out? I'm this close to just cancelling the purchase and telling them to re-order correctly (knowing that he may never come back and maybe even neg me). Sounds like he wants random colors though. Feel free to call me crazy here from overthinking... it's late, I can take it.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Help me decipher what this buyer wants

I love your posts. You always have interesting buyer stories, for better or worse.

Only the buyer can clarify - we'd all just be guessing. To me it sounds like they want all size XL in all different colors but no black.

Every other clothing retailer uses variation listings so eBay shouldn't be confusing. I don't know why you get that sort of problem.

Tell the buyer exactly what he ordered:

Color: Black, Size: 2XL, Quantity: 4

Color: Blue, Size: L, Quantity 4

Tell him if that's not what he wants then you can cancel and he can place a new order with the colors, sizes and quantities he's looking for.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

Buyer buys 2 types of shirts (4 of each type) totaling to almost $200... yes I know, they are expensive (but nice) shirts. One type is Black, size 2XL. The other type is Blue, Size L. They leave me a buyer message that states "I want them in different colors, but not black color size XL adult thanks"

I would say that means the buyer wants Black in size L, just as he wants Blue in Size L.

But I wouldn't guess~if you can't figure it out, check with your customer.

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

Or it could be that he wants 4 different colored 2X shirts, but no black.

Check with the buyer.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

Yea thanks guys. Good to know I'm not the only one who can't understand the buyer. I already messaged the buyer to clarify. But unless the buyer is super clear, I think I'm just going to cancel this one and take a risk of losing this significant sale. If I continue it, it's liable to get into all new kinds of trouble. And the buyer's lack of puncuation is a total turn-off... I'm afraid I can't understand what the buyer says in future messages.

Who'da thunk this is a disadvantage of MV listings vs individual... buyers not ordering correct the variation they want.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

He wants four different colors but that would require him to purchase four separately because he cannot order four colors (one of each) on the same listing. You would have to reply to him that he would have to make four separate purchases, one of each color.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

My guess?  He wants you to send a bunch of shirts in different colors and sizes so he can decide which one(s) looks best and fits him and then initiate a return for those he doesn't want.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc

I have no clue what they want ... my crystal ball is in the shop this week.

But I do know that you get the best buyers 😄

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

See upthread? I'm not the only one who has become enamored of your stories. Buyer stories, seller stories, even CS/eBay stories!

You're becoming a legend! Just remember, I was your first fan . . .

(Beyond that, I can't help you with your actual issue. LOL!)
Message 9 of 45
latest reply

You will not loose a real buyer by asking questions and being nice. Ask potential buyer to state color, size, etc. exactly, so there will be no confusion. Then spell it back out to buyer what is being shipped. If potential buyer cannot do that, I would not do business. Ebay normally sides with buyer, you will loose. I think there are many lazy buyers out there, it is not uncommon for me to ditch them if I cannot understand them. And some do not communicate well because English is not their primary language.
Message 10 of 45
latest reply

^^^ This

Apologise that you're a little fuzzy this morning and could they please tell you EXACTLY what shirts they want in what color & size.

Give them an example - Blue XL
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 11 of 45
latest reply

Keep it simple. Create a special listing for this buyer, only after you and she are clear as to what she wants.    

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

OP isn't the one who is fuzzy here!

I think that would give the buyer grounds to claim this was your fault, your mistake.

Your order is important to us and I want to be sure that your order is filled properly.  Your order shows as follows:

and then list it.

Please reply to this message and state what your order is~what colors, sizes, and quantity you want.  Thank you again for your purchase.  

Sincerely,

Your Seller 

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

No - it's making it the seller's fault for not being clear on the order required rather than the buyer's. Customer service 101
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 14 of 45
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

OP isn't the one who is fuzzy here!

I think that would give the buyer grounds to claim this was your fault, your mistake.

Your order is important to us and I want to be sure that your order is filled properly.  Your order shows as follows:

and then list it.

Please reply to this message and state what your order is~what colors, sizes, and quantity you want.  Thank you again for your purchase.  

Sincerely,

Your Seller 

I think @myjunqueyourtreasure is suggesting to use an excuse like that to persuade the buyer to help and not feel like I'm accusing them of like being dumb to avoid any awkwardness.

Kind of like when I get texts by someone who clearly knows me but I have no idea who it is and I just see a phone number. I lie to them and say "sorry I just got a new phone and lost all my contacts... who are you again?" Knowing all well that I probably just never bothered to enter their number in my phone when we initially exchanged numbers.

But I also see your point too in trying to not admit to any fault or what the buyer might see as an error on my part... they might get upset at my "incompetency".

Message 15 of 45
latest reply