cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! How do I get ACTUAL Color depicted in my photos?

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I use an iphone X and LimoStudio  6500K 85W Photography Lighting Photo Studio Light Bulbs, Daylight Balanced, LMS119. I have Five of these set up and I STILL cannot get the right coloring in my photos. The lighter colors appear to have a yellowish hue and browns sometimes appear gray...its so random and strange....especially in far away photos. I've tried different backgrounds--makes no difference. I am thinking it has to be my bulbs or my camera--but its an iphone X so maybe it has to be bulbs? The problem is I am not sure what bulbs are best? I want to do this right so customers can see the item with a pretty close to accurate color---any tips? I'm VERY desperate and would welcome all tips! I don't have umbrellas on my lights because I could never see a difference between having them on or off. I am a novice when it comes to photography so any help appreciated! Thank you!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Try asking your question here.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Mobile-App-iOS/bd-p/iosapp

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I use a digital camera and NO FLASH BULBS. On the first few pictures I took with the flash the flash badly distorted the colors. So I have an area with good natural lighting and NO FLASH BULBS.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@juststopandshop wrote:

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I use an iphone X

That's what you're doing wrong.  Use a camera, not an iThingy.  They don't have the optics.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

I use a digital camera and NO FLASH BULBS. On the first few pictures I took with the flash the flash badly distorted the colors. So I have an area with good natural lighting and NO FLASH BULBS.

This is true.  My computer is absolutely true to color but I know that bright light distorts colors, making burgundy or maroon to be bright red when it isn't.

It is always a good idea, if your computer is true to color, to view your pictures in the listing and compare with the actual item.  If the color is off or the item does not look true to its' physical appearance, then you need new pictures.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

" I want to do this right so customers can see the item with a pretty close to accurate color---'

-------

Don't forget, these colors won't appear the same

on everyone else's computer monitors.

fwiw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

calibrate your monitor, use a good camera, use the white balance.

then hope your buyer has a calibrated monitor.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I have the same problem.  Black background makes gold tone jewelry look silver and purple background turns blue.  White background though is fine as is any wood background.  

I use a cannon Sx 130 and the same Limo system but don't think its the camera or lights.  Had the same problem before getting the Limo system with just TOO MUCH light... even natural light.

I've tried backing the light stands further away and that helps somewhat but still to fix in the editing program... I have to move the color saturation bar way into deep and the light adjustment way down too.  I'm resigned to using the white or wood background - think the camera is just not meant for this type of photography....

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

People are correct about using a camera, because you can white balance. If you dont know how, a quick youtube lesson would teach you the benefits of it. You cant white balance on an iphone. Also, I put a lot in to my white balance, and white i photograph a white piece of clothing, it looks like yellow. Not every time, maybe 10% of the time.

Everybody wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

You can white balance on the iPhone.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Hi, I work for a professional printer. It is critical that colors on the monitor actually match what the printed color will be. One option is you vsn get a color correction device to put on your screen, and calibrate the screen colors with the device on the screen.

Disclaimer: I don't use the device but I know who does, and I saw my office mate package 1000 of these last week. X-rite makes one model. This is probably the high-end model. http://www.xrite.com/

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

white balance

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

For best results I've found turning off ALL artificial light and using indirect morning light works best. All my photos are of small sterling silver pieces (which with artificial light ends up looking 'goldish') but even with my inexpensive SX camera (and a tripod of  course) photos come out looking great... With colors that look (are?) 'real.'

Not using a 'busy' background helps too... A fresh sheet of 8 1/2 x 11  "96 Bright" multipurpose paper compliments about anything that fits on it.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

This is an older tutorial but it might help 😞

https://iphonephotographyschool.com/white-balance/

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 15 of 18
latest reply