cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! How do I get ACTUAL Color depicted in my photos?

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I use an iphone X and LimoStudio  6500K 85W Photography Lighting Photo Studio Light Bulbs, Daylight Balanced, LMS119. I have Five of these set up and I STILL cannot get the right coloring in my photos. The lighter colors appear to have a yellowish hue and browns sometimes appear gray...its so random and strange....especially in far away photos. I've tried different backgrounds--makes no difference. I am thinking it has to be my bulbs or my camera--but its an iphone X so maybe it has to be bulbs? The problem is I am not sure what bulbs are best? I want to do this right so customers can see the item with a pretty close to accurate color---any tips? I'm VERY desperate and would welcome all tips! I don't have umbrellas on my lights because I could never see a difference between having them on or off. I am a novice when it comes to photography so any help appreciated! Thank you!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Help! How do I get ACTUAL Color depicted in my photos?

They don't need optics.

Modern phone cameras stand right up there with decent DLSRs in reviews I've read, particularly for this type of photography. The sensors are mostly top notch, and overall quality comes down to image processing software in the phone.

An iPhone X is more than enough camera for eBay photography. OP just needs to get a handle on backgrounds, white balance settings, and lighting (at which point I step aside as I suck at that).
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

" I want to do this right so customers can see the item with a pretty close to accurate color---'

-------

Don't forget, these colors won't appear the same

on everyone else's computer monitors.

fwiw,

Lynn

I think this is the most important thing to keep in mind NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO if the buyer doesn't have a properly calibrated monitor all your work is for naught, if someone is that obsessed with the color of the item not much you can do.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@richard1rst wrote:

I use a digital camera and NO FLASH BULBS. On the first few pictures I took with the flash the flash badly distorted the colors. So I have an area with good natural lighting and NO FLASH BULBS.

This is true.  My computer is absolutely true to color but I know that bright light distorts colors, making burgundy or maroon to be bright red when it isn't.

It is always a good idea, if your computer is true to color, to view your pictures in the listing and compare with the actual item.  If the color is off or the item does not look true to its' physical appearance, then you need new pictures.

What do you use to calibrate your monitor?

Message 18 of 18
latest reply