cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having alot of views but no sales

I am new to selling on ebay, I have set up a store, we are having alot of views but no sales, we have 

been up and running for 2 months now, we sell beef jerky, jams and jellies and candles.

I keep calling ebay for suggestions on how to boost sales but I get the same thing, just give it time you 

are a new seller so it will take time to get people to buy. We are paying more out in mnthly fees to have the store then we are selling. Anyone have any advise it will much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Having alot of views but no sales

@tunicaslot wrote:

OP - if you have accounts on Facebook and Twitter - advertise your store there. There are Ebay groups on Facebook where you can link your items for others to see. Open an acct on Pinterest and pin your items there - I've gotten alot of sales by pinning my items there.

I would get a sharper label as it's hard to see as others have said. I would add store categories so that buyers dont have to scroll through the non food items - and maybe add sub categories - jams, beef products, nuts and trail mix.

All of this. The OP's products probably have good inherent value, and I think there are consumers who are always on the lookout for small, interesting food brands. I suspect that marketing and generating some sizzle is their biggest issue.

eBay may or may not be a good venue for them, but people do buy perishibles through the mail. When I was a kid, my family used to get Harry & David gift baskets as presents, so people have been doing so for a long time.

Another poster suggested farmer's markets. I was thinking along those lines, too — not because they should give up on selling online, but because it would help their marketing to get some practice selling locally. Maybe even establish a brand identity as a "local favorite" and get some testimonials that they can use in their advertising. 

Instead of focusing on eBay to start, maybe focus on getting their products into local stores. Some of the supermarket chains in my area (including Whole Foods) highlight products as "local origin." 

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

sure are a lot of jerks on ebay.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I'll be completely honest; while I'm sure there is a market for your jerkey and jam, I'd rather run to the store get it right away for 1/3 of the price.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I encourage you to capitalize on your brand...maybe put a uniform blurb about your business in every listing and also make it clear that you are Triple D Livestock who is selling and not just a seller selling the Triple D Livestock brand. HUGE difference as far as trust goes! 🙂 Capitalize on your experience. I think you should change your username to your brand name. It will look a lot more professional and will help familiarize people with your brand. Additionally, I would recommend having a uniform, professional template for each of your listings...that will make people trust you, too, and I think it is especially important when it comes to selling food. If your listing looks professional, people will believe you know your stuff and will feel more confident buying from you. God bless!
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

JMO, but I would not buy food on line from a seller I am not familiar with.

I would rather buy it locally from stores I know and trust.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

(1) From what I can see of you labels on the food products, you CAN NOT SELL IT online

You can sell it at your farmer's market (home based local business) but not online unless you meet the requirements of the FDA (the nuts, candy jam etc) and the USDA (meat)

That means inspections by federal inspectors and labelling.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Industry/ucm322302.htm

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/foodlaw/safe-408-608/foodprocessingregulation

WIthout those licenses from the feds and inspections what you are doing is unlawful when you try to homemade food stuff in interstate commerce that are uninspected and not properly labeled per FDS and USDA rquirements (look at a box of cereal at the grocery or a package of beef jerky in the gorcery store - you have to have those labels)

Maybe you have all the stuff--  but the label showing it is a real honest to good properly inspected food manufacturing place are not visible.  Looks like it is homemade for the farmer's market and no one is going to buy stuff made up in someone's kitchen

(2) Bird seed deer corn and gutter fittings......I can buy every single thing at that local little hardware store 7 miles away and I am in a rural area where I even ship in the dog & cat food

Message 21 of 21
latest reply