cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having alot of views but no sales

I am new to selling on ebay, I have set up a store, we are having alot of views but no sales, we have 

been up and running for 2 months now, we sell beef jerky, jams and jellies and candles.

I keep calling ebay for suggestions on how to boost sales but I get the same thing, just give it time you 

are a new seller so it will take time to get people to buy. We are paying more out in mnthly fees to have the store then we are selling. Anyone have any advise it will much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Well, I for one will not buy 'home made' food products unless I know the people involved.

As far as the gutter parts, I can get those at any number of hardware stores.  Your market for those would be people who live more remote and can't get them locally.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

We are paying more out in mnthly fees to have the store then we are selling. Anyone have any advise it will much appreciated. ftdncad -3  unquote 

The advice you received from e bay  seems about right . It takes time and patience to really get a business going . Contrary to the opinions of some of the other sellers,, I believe feedback left by your buyers helps other potential buyers  to decide to  purchase . The stuff you sell is mostly food items  so people  like to see what  others have said about it . Right now you don't have a whole lot of feedback  for them to go on ,, so for the time being I'd suggest  lowering  your prices a bit and see if that helps get the ball rolling .Good luck ! 🙂 Tulips 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Hi, i looked through your listings. Do you list enough items to make having a store economically worthwhile to you? Without a store, a member receives 50 free listings a month. With new seller limits and holds, it sometimes makes better sense to forgo the store fees until one is better established. Ebay has a fee calculator /illustrator to help sellers decide what level of store they need, or if a store is needed at all (link below).

http://www.subs.ebay.com/feeweb/feeillustrator

To build up your feedback, you can always make small purchases or buy your necessities here, to bolster your score. My only other advice is to be sure you use your Item Specifics to describe your wares in detail. Things like what the item is, the quantity, color, size, etc. This will help get you better placement in Search. I wish you much success as you move forward. Good luck.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I would lower the price on about 3 listings to see if they sell, that will give you more info about why not selling.
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@ftdncad-3 wrote:

I am new to selling on ebay, I have set up a store, we are having alot of views but no sales, we have 

been up and running for 2 months now, we sell beef jerky, jams and jellies and candles.

I keep calling ebay for suggestions on how to boost sales but I get the same thing, just give it time you 

are a new seller so it will take time to get people to buy. We are paying more out in mnthly fees to have the store then we are selling. Anyone have any advise it will much appreciated. 

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to increase sales.

If you lower the price of the food items, some people will think there may be something wrong with the food.

You could stop having a store and it would cost you nothing to list up to 50 items.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I have been selling since early 1998 and ebay has always been about WHAT you are selling.

Your photos, etc look great but I personally would not buy anything online that I would ingest.

I can buy the best Western Delight wild bird mix 40# for $16.00.   The free shipping on your 10# bag might put you in the red if a buyer is on the opposite coast.   I applaud your efforts but you might look to another product line.  And yeah to maybe giving up your store and go for the 50 free.   Ebay success is not based on how many listings you have, but what you sell.   Sell through rate matters more than quantity listed.   It is a tough road to hoe for new sellers.  It is a tough road to hoe for longtime sellers.

Those products look perfect for a Farmer's Market setting where folks can sample the goods before buying.  Good Luck

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@ftdncad-3 wrote:

No reason for you to have a store right now. You're not even close to needing it yet. Just stop the store and sell normal. Also, the beef jerky. putting 3-4oz is a little to ambiguous. I actually would have bought some, but I'm not comfortable with that idea. I mean, if I decided to buy 10 packs, I could be getting something that might be almost an entire pound +-?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I'd think the number of buyers who would come to eBay and search for beef jerky and jam would be miniscule.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I "shopped" the various nuts you are selling on Ebay, looking at other sellers....  Your prices aren't the highest, but a number of name brands beat your price .......either outright, or offering more for the same/less money.

Frankly, there is no reason to buy from you.....as an observation on these items: no special description, no unique packaging, etc.    When new Brick and Mortar stores open, they have loss sales to attract customers hoping they build up a clientele that will return for future sales.  And, on line, I think something similiar needs to be done......either you break even or take a small loss on "repeatable" items to get people to try them from an unknown source and then gradually raise the prices as you get more positive feedback and returning customers (who can understand prices being reasonably raised over time). 

On ebay, where there are alot of sellers selliing the same items, you have to constantly check and recheck your competition.....  Read their listings, compare their pictures, figure their shipping.....in order to stay in the game.  Offer smaller/larger selections/combinations of like items, etc....just "something" to make you more attractive than the rest of the pack.  It's not just a matter of throwing something up and assuming it will sell.

just my thoughts

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

After looking at a few of your listings I noticed one (Beef Jerky (1 pound) Farm Fresh, Whole Muscle Beef Jerky) that had your website in it:

Triple D Livestock Farm Fresh Frozen Meats is a locally owned store in central Missouri, where we offer a line of jerky and farm raised meats of beef, pork, lamb and goat and a variety of other items. dddlivestock.com

I don't think that eBay is going to let you put/keep your main companies website address in your listings.
To them that is advertising your main companies websites items on eBay and they make nothing on those off eBay sales.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Also, apple butter with a frozen meat lable on it, nothing about apple butter, doesn't sound very apetizing.  Makes someone wonder what was in the jar before the apple butter got there.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

You probably won't like my opinions...and this is mostly from a design and appeal perspective.

Your presentation is not appealing.

The jam/nuts/candies/etc you sell; there is nothing that says it's jam inside, the label only says "Farm Fresh Frozen Meats" It's kind of gross. Farm Fresh Frozen Meats jam?  All of the labels are the same, nothing to indicate the product except Farm Fresh Frozen Meats.

The generic label looks dirty and drab. Not appealing, in my opinion. No curb appeal.

The plastic bag full of pecans, for instance, looks about as appealing as a bag of woodchips. The packaging/ label is cheap and drab. The coffee bags are a step in the right direction.

The name Triple D Livestock is redundant. Triple D Livestock candies? That brand name just doesn't fit except for the jerky. I would identify the product on the label, add color, appealing packaging, make it specific, and let the frozen meat and business name be somewhere at the bottom, like an afterthought.

The store fees are killing you. I don't know how that benefits you. More like something to grow into.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

OP - if you have accounts on Facebook and Twitter - advertise your store there. There are Ebay groups on Facebook where you can link your items for others to see. Open an acct on Pinterest and pin your items there - I've gotten alot of sales by pinning my items there.

I would get a sharper label as it's hard to see as others have said. I would add store categories so that buyers dont have to scroll through the non food items - and maybe add sub categories - jams, beef products, nuts and trail mix.

My husband and son love jerky and I have no problem buying it on the net - if you have enough room - get the word Homemade in the title. When I look for jerky - I search for Homemade  jerky and your's wouldn't show up high on the list.

Best of luck and if you need more help - come on back - I've bookmarked you for when the guys run out of jerky!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I'd think the number of buyers who would come to eBay and search for beef jerky and jam would be miniscule.

I agree.    And not everything will sell on ebay.  

Message 15 of 21
latest reply