cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hate that as sellers we have protection

I have been a member on eBay since 2001 and have been actively selling since 2006, and just received a negative feedback from a buyer. My issue is the buyer never contacted us about an issue with the item just left negative feedback, I get they can leave negative without contact or anything! I contacted buyer and they could careless that we would have been willing to take care of their issue with the item, asked for feedback revisions and they denied! Ebay needs to change its feedback to where sellers can get some support from EBay if sellers aren't given a fair chance to rectify the issue, I know it's almost impossible to maintain 100% positive I have blocked the user from bidding on our items in the future!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hate that as sellers we have protection

Yes I would be a little upset and have had it happen on many occasions and as long as the seller offered a refund etc. I always left positive, it's a more enjoyable experience and even if the item arrived broke it may not have been the sellers fault as the USPS is not known for always handling packages marked Fragile with upmost care! So you can't always place the blame on the seller, but I always will take responsibility for my packing of items and have never once refused to help a buyer out if they have issues! 

In this case where I was left negative the buyer wouldn't send photos, I even offered refund after the fact and to take care of the issue and was told to keep the money! So I accepted their response and have left it at that, I'm over it and moved on and yes my reputation speaks for itself!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I agree that negative feedback should not be allowed unless some communication between buyer and seller has been attempted first. There should be a record of message exchanges trying to fix the problem before the option to ding the seller is made available.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

A neutral right after a negative.  That sucks.  I feel like the hotter it is outside, the harder people are to deal with. 

While I agree that Ebay should require some type of communication, it wont probably happen.  At least the negatives aren't a defect any more.

You responded well to both.  Most buyers look at that and see you were reasonable and it wont effect your account much.

It is frustrating none the less!

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Buyers shouldn't be able to leave a negative or a neutral unless contacting the seller first and then waiting 24 hours or so for a reply.

Sorry this happened to you. Good feedback is 50% service and 50% luck.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

In about 10 to 15 years buying on Ebay I have never left a negative feedback for anyone. I've had a few issues with some purchases and as long as they were honest issues with the seller and they were willing to help there is absolutely no need to drop a negative on someone other than, for some, they feel it is necessary for the protection of others here, and because everybody has a right to their opinion, even if that opinion is grossly misrepresented. Under certain circumstance grossly innapproriate feedback can be removed.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

ebay policies hurt sellers and only protect "game playing bidders" 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Buyers leave negative feedback based on their perception of the transaction.  If they feel they have been slighted in any way (size, fit, color, texture, value, etc) then they are likely to leave a negative.  "Most" people have enough common sense to contact the seller to resolve any issues, but there are those that will not do that and simply leave a negative.

There is no protection for that and, sadly, eBay has removed our option to return the favor.

You do what you can but, eventually, you'll get one.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

it happens, and some times the responce is necessary..it doesn't ususlly help... if it was broke then that is why they were mad, and you couldn't "fix" the problem...it was broke and they were upset... as for packing, well you know by now that's on you...no mater how well you did..it wasn't enought, this time...

could they have contacted you first, yes.. but it was broke and they didn't want to ...did they ask for a refund? did they open a case?  ... that all they had to do...open it and get refunded...the negative sinply comes from it arrived BROKE...  and face it, wouldn't you be upset if what you ordered and waited for was broken...yup....

it won't kill anything , you rep is fine..you're sale will be fine... but bet someone puts a note on a sale.."be sure to pack well"... seems like they always do...after....they see something

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yes I would be a little upset and have had it happen on many occasions and as long as the seller offered a refund etc. I always left positive, it's a more enjoyable experience and even if the item arrived broke it may not have been the sellers fault as the USPS is not known for always handling packages marked Fragile with upmost care! So you can't always place the blame on the seller, but I always will take responsibility for my packing of items and have never once refused to help a buyer out if they have issues! 

In this case where I was left negative the buyer wouldn't send photos, I even offered refund after the fact and to take care of the issue and was told to keep the money! So I accepted their response and have left it at that, I'm over it and moved on and yes my reputation speaks for itself!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

So you were disappointed enough with someone's behavior that you thought it was a good idea to break Ebay rules by leaving a negatively worded comment for your buyer?

A presumably good buyer was disappointed because the item YOU shipped was damaged and you spanked them for something YOU caused?As a seller I would have apologized and tried to make things right WITHOUT attaching the comment about amending feedback.

OTOH I'm glad retaliatory sellers are still retaliating. It allows those of us who care about good service to find and avoid them.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Your opinion which your entitled too no matter how wrong and inaccurate 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Receiving a broken item is not a positive experience even if a refund is given. So even if the buyer had to contact you first they would still be able to leave their opinion of the transaction. The only thing forcing a buyer to contact a seller first would do is allow more sellers to call CS, complain, and have the feedback removed because of something the buyer wrote in messages.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Have stopped selling on eBay because of this lack of protection.  20 years with 100% FB out the window with one guy who bought two items.  He never said anything about being dissatified and all of sudden, I'm at 93% FB.

Talking to eBay is like talking to the wall...

Message 13 of 13
latest reply