cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else had a slowdown in people purchasing items? Is it because of tax time?

Just curious.  It been like 2 weeks since I’ve had anyone purchase anything

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Has anyone else had a slowdown in people purchasing items? Is it because of tax time?

Can't say that I have. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

The economy combined with jitters about the Middle East combined with paying taxes. I'm surprised it isn't worse. I pray for a good solution to problems for myself and others that are hurting. Very few sellers on the internet are not affected. I had a good March but April has not been good so far. 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Someone mentioned that there is a "Buying Service Disruption" issue right now with eBay. My very last sale was April 12th, but I was able to buy from someone else here today. Go figure.

Here are the eBay status links where eBay stated that there is a "Buying Service Disruption" issue since April 10th.

https://www.ebay.com/sts

https://www.ebay.com/sts/updates/2

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

We are one week in with the Buyer Service Disruption WITHOUT an update. Go figure. My sales have been all over the place. Perhaps you've experienced something similar

For example, I had 2-sales on Mon, 12-sales on Tues (10 of which occurred between 4:00-8:00pm PDT) and only sale today. Figure that one out.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

This is a daily complaint for the last 15-20 years I've been here - sales are always up and down. Pick your 'reason' according to one's own personal beliefs, but it doesn't matter. It's a big world and there are always 'reasons'.

We can look at what we're selling and see if there are any changes we can make, though.  You, like myself, sell in incredibly over-crowded categories so it's not easy at the best of times.

@pls-consignments  I only have a few things straggling along right now (going through reflooring of our ground floor and I can't get anywhere) but my sales sometimes look like yours - just wild!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Very very poor sales. However February and March were all time record high. But this is unreal how slow it is.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I historically always have a slow down in sales from about mid March to late April.  Once people figure out what their tax impact is to them, then they are more comfortable to get out and spend money.

But there is something else significant going on this year that will affect sales.  The Presidential election.  Historically in an election year people like to hang onto their money as much as possible because of the uncertainty the election brings.  Once we know who the President will be, things will typically calm down.  This year is like no other with everything going on.  So the closer we get to the election, the slower sales is likely to get.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I don't usually post but I haven't had any sales since April 10th.Hmmm.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@nanashappyplace wrote:

Just curious.  It been like 2 weeks since I’ve had anyone purchase anything

My sales across my six selling accounts have been picking up since the beginning of the year.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@auctiondibs wrote:

Someone mentioned that there is a "Buying Service Disruption" issue right now with eBay. My very last sale was April 12th, but I was able to buy from someone else here today. Go figure.

Here are the eBay status links where eBay stated that there is a "Buying Service Disruption" issue since April 10th.

https://www.ebay.com/sts

https://www.ebay.com/sts/updates/2

What does that even mean? Is is a shopping cart issue? Search issue? Registration or payment issue??? It would be nice if eBay elaborated on what the problem is.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@timerovertreasures wrote:

What does that even mean? Is is a shopping cart issue? Search issue? Registration or payment issue??? It would be nice if eBay elaborated on what the problem is.

Agreed, it'd be nice to have some detail.  Right now we have no idea how much if any impact this is having on our particular sales unless potential customers reach out with an issue, which they haven't.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

The real reason sales are slow: Unknown and unknowable.

Most "reasons" are just speculation based on the natural desire to assign causality.

Tax time? Probably not.  According to CNBC, 75 percent of tax filers expect a refund this year. And 27 percent of those people expect their refund to be bigger than last year. If tax season was a relevant gauge, sales should be up instead.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Can't say that I have. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

The real reason sales are slow: Unknown and unknowable.

Most "reasons" are just speculation based on the natural desire to assign causality.

Tax time? Probably not.  According to CNBC, 75 percent of tax filers expect a refund this year. And 27 percent of those people expect their refund to be bigger than last year. If tax season was a relevant gauge, sales should be up instead.

You can dismiss all the posts if you like, it does not mean that nay of us are wrong.  It only means you don't believe anything anyone has said.

From experience [over 25 years of active selling] tells me that Late December, January and most of February are my hottest months for sales.  Summer time is really slow, August usually being my worst month of the year for sales.  From March until late April, sales are slow, likely due to many concentrating on getting their taxes done.  They don't start shopping again until they are comfortable about whatever their tax situation is for the year.

For me that has held true almost every one of those 25 years with the exception of the Pandemic years when my sales were fantastic year round.

Often times how sales stack up for any given seller is going to be dramatically different from category to category.  They certainly are not the same across the board.  That would make no sense at all.  There are lots of variables.

Oh one other thing I've noticed.  When we are in a presidential election year, that will typically affect sales the closer we get to November.  The uncertainty of it all can be very stressful for some and make them want to hang onto their money until they have a better feel of what the future has in store.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

So I just had a buyer message me saying they had a product in their cart and could not remove it at all. They apologized to me because that wasn't item they wanted and I guess they were worried it would be unavailable to others since they couldn't remove it. I told them not to worry and that they hadn't purchased it. Said it has literally taken them hours of trying to fix it and nothing is working. Something is definitely not right and it is impacting the website and shopping cart.

I got a very vague response from askebay on Twitter when I brought up the subject of buyer disruption.

buyerdisruption.png

I'd say not being able to add an item to your watch list is kind of a big deal which does result in issues with sales.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply