cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! BUYER HAS MY ITEM AND NEVER PAID CASE CLOSED!!

My fault, I was so stupid...make a long story short, I accidently refunded buyer before she sent back item .  Now she is ignoring my emails.   I sent her a new  invoice I created through paypal and  ebay has sent her "nice" messages to either return to me or refund my money.  Both ebay and paypal say because I voluntarily refunded her her money, the case is closed.  They can't seize the money from her accounbt nor force her to send the item (a bracelet) back to me.  They say the federal law allows paypal or ebay to seize money from an unscrupulous sellers paypal acct, but not an unscrupulous buyer.  I have tried to speak to supervisors in ebay but I doubt if any are really supervisors.  They act like they are helpless, they can see our messages and all actions and see who is right. Paypal pretends they can not see messages back and forth on ebay, but I believe I read somewhere they have access to all messages.  Has anyone successfully opened an appeal with either paypal or ebay?  I am getting the runaround, and I do not want this rude buyer to take advantage of me.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: HELP!! BUYER HAS MY ITEM AND NEVER PAID CASE CLOSED!!

@couldabeenworse wrote:

For all the sellers ina similar situation I am trying to figure out if this is a viable solution.

I'm not seeing that lying to claim you didn't make the refund in order to stick somebody else with your loss is very viable. 

Yes that is why I questioned the poster who said he did  this because I had never heard of it and was questioning how it would even work.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

I DID DISPUTE THE PAYPAL TRANSACTION WITH NO LUCK.  I'VE ALREADY SPENT HOURS DEALING WITH THIS BETWEEN EBAY AND PAYPAL.  

WERE YOU ABLE TO GET YOUR BANK TO TAKE THE MONEY FROM PAYPAL??  AS MUCH AS I HATE TO COMPLIMENT A BANK, MY BANK HAS DONE SOME PRETTY AWESOME THINGS BEFORE FOR ME LIKE REVERSING FRAUD CHARGES THAT ACTUALLY WERE MY FAULT DUE TO CARELESSNESS.

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU GOT YOUR BANK TO REFUND YOU THE MONEY PAYPAL PAID?  MY PAYPAL IS CONNECTED TO MY CHECKING ACCOUNT WHICH IS CONNECTED TO MY DEBIT CARD.  I'M GETTING A LITTLE HOPEFUL!

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

There is more to this story and I want revenge!!

After she received the item which is a sterling silver Mainsai bracelet that retails for $350  ( though I got it on sale) she asked for a refund siting "scratches and dings" The pics she took of the item did not show any dings or scratches in fact it looked new because it was new. But I do have a return policy and I thought she didn''t like it.  So I sent her a label and emaoiled her that I would refund her as soon as I got it back.  She immediately answered me like she was sitting on her computer-"I'll take it for $70" I declined and told her to send it back and she said in all caps 'YOU ARER WASTING MY TIME AND TIME IS MONEY THIS IS A USED ITEM AND YOU MISREPRESENTED IT"  I then gave her a lecture that she needs to learn manners and if she wasn't so rude I may have given her a discount.  I told her that I was used to buyers like her that want to get something at a cheaper price so they pull this little scheme.  I  told her there were no scratches or dings at all on the pics she sent.  (They were very large and clear pics by the way)  A few days later she emailed me very nicely "  Could you please give it to me  for $70?

I told her I can't let it go for less than $90.  Then she emailed me back immediately and said "$80 and we have a deal."  Truthfully I was laughing to myself at this point and decided to let her have it.  So thats when I went to the "refund" button.  I thought I would get an option for partial refund, but of course that didn't happen.  Immediately I realized my mistake and spent the next 2 hours on the phone between Ebay and Paypal trying to get my money back!!  Ebay sent a "courtesy" email to her to give me the $80 . Then I sent an invoice through paypal to her for the $80 and nothing.  Have not heard a peep.  Paypal told me they would give me a courtesy $40 which is half because I've been such a great customer etc etc but I got angry and said "NO"  "This has to come out of her account"

Since then ebay has sent her another courtesy email but thats it.  So this is more than just an impersonal transaction.  This is just not right!!  

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Maybe had you responded to her in a more diplomatic fashion she would have had more incentive to bail you out on your mistake.  I guess if you can get your bank to do so that is about the best you can hope for.  I'm not sure I understand how they did so on a case of fraud that was also your fault, but possible it was a one time courtesy.  They may not wish to do so repeatedly.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
You should have accepted paypal's generous $40 offer. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Anyway why in the world ebay and paypal only protect the buyer is beyond me. I am a buyer also and am grateful for their support as have used buyer protection several times.  However, ebay and paypal do not go beyond federal regulations.  Fed regs only protect the buyer.  Now in this new age of online transactions, both buying and selling, I would hope that ebay and paypal go beyond the limitations of fed regs and protect the seller, too.  Also, ebay needs to fine tune their refund button.  There needs to be a followup question, such as "You hve just approved a total refund, is this what you want?' or something to that effect. They need to keep yup with the times. I have been an ebay member both buying and selling, since 1999 I believe. The buying and selling have increased exponentially, and ebay and paypal has not kept up.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

There is no seller protection on Ebay, other than using delivery confirmation to prove delivery.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@susankarami wrote:

Anyway why in the world ebay and paypal only protect the buyer is beyond me. I am a buyer also and am grateful for their support as have used buyer protection several times.  However, ebay and paypal do not go beyond federal regulations.  Fed regs only protect the buyer.  Now in this new age of online transactions, both buying and selling, I would hope that ebay and paypal go beyond the limitations of fed regs and protect the seller, too.  Also, ebay needs to fine tune their refund button.  There needs to be a followup question, such as "You hve just approved a total refund, is this what you want?' or something to that effect. They need to keep yup with the times. I have been an ebay member both buying and selling, since 1999 I believe. The buying and selling have increased exponentially, and ebay and paypal has not kept up.

They aren’t protecting the buyer. You are the one who made the mistake and issued a refund before the buyer had returned the item. It’s time to own your mistake and stop blaming eBay & PayPal for failing to protect you. Neither of them has done anything wrong here. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@susankarami wrote:

My fault, I was so stupid...make a long story short, I accidently refunded buyer before she sent back item .  Now she is ignoring my emails.   I sent her a new  invoice I created through paypal and  ebay has sent her "nice" messages to either return to me or refund my money.  Both ebay and paypal say because I voluntarily refunded her her money, the case is closed.  They can't seize the money from her accounbt nor force her to send the item (a bracelet) back to me.  They say the federal law allows paypal or ebay to seize money from an unscrupulous sellers paypal acct, but not an unscrupulous buyer.  I have tried to speak to supervisors in ebay but I doubt if any are really supervisors.  They act like they are helpless, they can see our messages and all actions and see who is right. Paypal pretends they can not see messages back and forth on ebay, but I believe I read somewhere they have access to all messages.  Has anyone successfully opened an appeal with either paypal or ebay?  I am getting the runaround, and I do not want this rude buyer to take advantage of me.

Hi @susankarami, I can certainly understand how frustrating this would be and while it does sound like you have received accurate information about our options, I can encourage you to continue working with your customer for potential return or repayment. You can purchase a prepaid label and send it to them or see if they will pay you again through the invoice you sent.

I do want to clarify that PayPal does not have access to messages through eBay - though PayPal and eBay do have a business relationship as they are a widely used payment method on our site, they are a separate company and would not have access to private communications within our Community. 

Ultimately, while a refund may have been issued by mistake and eBay has no reason to doubt you when you inform us of this, this is not something that we offer protection for. There are times when an error on the seller's part will pose a potential loss. Moving forward you would need to work with your buyer for any potential resolution.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

The buyer came through...she refunded me the $80 today.  I believe it was the several emails from ebay that did the trick.  I think I forced Ebay to send 3 total to the buyer.  Ebay was reluctant after the initial one, said I had to resend the buyer another label, then they would send an email if no response.  Each step with ebay was like pullling teeth. It shouldn't have to be this difficult for them to send the  buyer a "courtesy" email.  I think the emails from ebay wore her down, she realized she wouldn't be left alone.  So now I'm happy!  Thank you to you all!  Truthfully I felt like sending her nasty emails but you all restrained me.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

case closed, then.

Good news.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply