cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a message about shill bidding

I`m highly insulted.

Anyone else ever get one of these  messages?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Got a message about shill bidding

Nope, but whenever we've put up an auction listing we've never done anything that eBay could even remotely interpret as shill bidding.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@timothybodybuilding 

Is the message accusing you of shill bidding?  And was it a legitimate ebay message?

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@bossesale77 wrote: ... we've never done anything that eBay could even remotely interpret as shill bidding.

But sometimes bidders who don't quite understand how proxy bidding works will make bad assumptions and inferences about the bidding process, and will toss out accusations.  The seller can choose to either educate the accuser, or just block them.

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I`m assuming it was legit....I`m honest to a fault and have been here 21 years....given people free items as well as their money back plus the item for free and other freebies besides..

I`m 68 years old and don`t have too many friends.....certainly none that are bidding for me....I`m highly insulted but I know they couldn`t care less.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Uhh....same here pal.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Same here.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Oh well,I know I`m innocent so I`m just gonna get on with my day......I hate being called a thief.

Thanks to all.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Was the message actually from eBay or was it from a buyer accusing you of something?

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

It was from Ebay.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

At one time, we were averaging 1500 five day auctions per week.
All started at $9.99, no reserve.
Everybody was accusing us of shill bidding.
Bidders that won.
Bidders that lost.
eBay a few times.
And even some innocent bystanders that weren't even ON eBay! 
   It was crazy.
Insulting at first, then it began to almost seem like a compliment. LOL

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@timothybodybuilding 

What did the message say? 

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Can you share the message from Ebay with us?   They must see something in the data.  That's a strong accusation.

You sell good comics!  

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Hello timothybodybuilding,
We noticed some unusual bidding activity on your account and wanted to share more info on how we keep bidding fair for everyone.

For example, using another account to inflate an item’s price or popularity (known as shill bidding) isn’t allowed on eBay. This includes bids from family, friends, roommates, employees, or other online connections.

You may not have been aware of this, or it may simply have been an oversight, so we wanted to share more details on this policy. Please be sure to follow these guidelines, as shill bidding can lead to temporary restrictions from buying and selling on eBay, or in some cases, a permanent suspension from listing or bidding on auctions. 
If you have any questions or concerns, just get in touch. We’re here to help.

We’re glad you’re part of our community.
Thanks,
eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Later on, the OP states the message actually came from eBay.  So I guess we can eliminate bidders who make false accusations and describe it as eBay making false accusations.  

Message 15 of 24
latest reply