cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give me one good reason why refunds are not give immediately after tracking confirmed delivery...

...and I'll give you 10 reasons why forcing immediate payment at an auctions end is an even dumber idea than that! 

I won't bore you by listing them all, I just needed to get your attention. But what I will say is that after 20 + years of paying for 99% of my purchases the same day, you will not have to worry about receiving my payment any longer. 

Not because it's no longer possible to buy & pay with a prepaid card for the exact total. Or that I can no longer purchase an item using Paypal's "Pay in 4". It's not even because I can no longer "snipe" an auction and then deposit the required payment...

...it's because I will be damned before I'm forced to immediately pay for something that I will have to wait until the seller is good and ready to receive a refund because they have never personally seen, let alone tested, anything  they sell! (FYI: at least 1 out 5 purchases now meet that criteria)  

So, why do you care? Because every sale you make is a potential profit. It's a chance you take because every sale you don't make, is not. 

Unfortunately, intelligence and common sense do NOT go hand in hand, obviously, because while securing a method of payment prior to an auctions end might sound like a smart idea, it's common sense that tells you enforcing it maybe 3 days after non-payment would be the best way to implement it. But then again, what do I know?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Give me one good reason why refunds are not give immediately after tracking confirmed delivery...

Since sellers have asked eBay to do something about non-payers, they gave sellers the option to set their buyer requirements to require buyers to provide a payment method prior to bidding and making offers. 

If you have a problem with it you can always ask the seller prior to bidding if they have their requirements set to require a buyer to submit a payment option, if they do you can ask to be placed in their exemption list. 
So if you have a beef about it, talk to the sellers using this option. 

IMG_1236.jpeg

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I assume you mean why a return refund isn't immediate when tracking shows Delivered?
1) It's because I was here when the item was returned and sent the refund BEFORE the Delivered scan showed up.
2) I have three days to refund. Because I was not here when the package was returned and scanned delivered. That gives me a couple of days to decide what to do the rock you shipped.
3) Because you just wanted me to pay shipping to you, and back. So that you could inspect the item and make sure it was exactly as described before you returned it for some other reason so you it wouldn't cost you anything.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@michael_kelly wrote:

...and I'll give you 10 reasons why forcing immediate payment at an auctions end is an even dumber idea than that! 

I won't bore you by listing them all, I just needed to get your attention. But what I will say is that after 20 + years of paying for 99% of my purchases the same day, you will not have to worry about receiving my payment any longer. 

Not because it's no longer possible to buy & pay with a prepaid card for the exact total. Or that I can no longer purchase an item using Paypal's "Pay in 4". It's not even because I can no longer "snipe" an auction and then deposit the required payment...

...it's because I will be damned before I'm forced to immediately pay for something that I will have to wait until the seller is good and ready to receive a refund because they have never personally seen, let alone tested, anything  they sell! (FYI: at least 1 out 5 purchases now meet that criteria)  

So, why do you care? Because every sale you make is a potential profit. It's a chance you take because every sale you don't make, is not. 

Unfortunately, intelligence and common sense do NOT go hand in hand, obviously, because while securing a method of payment prior to an auctions end might sound like a smart idea, it's common sense that tells you enforcing it maybe 3 days after non-payment would be the best way to implement it. But then again, what do I know?

If you dont have the money in your account when you bid you shouldnt be bidding. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Outside of Amazon I’ve never gotten an immediate refund from any online vendor or boutique. Some take as long as two weeks to show up on my cc. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

1st- Refunds are required within 48 hrs of 'tracking showing delivery' (not 3 days as stated by another poster) but this gives the Seller the opportunity to 'reduce by up to 50%' after viewing the item, which may NOT be the exact SAME moment it is delivered (for TRS w/Rtrns), so therefore, NOT automated with Good reason. 

2nd- Buyers have a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, so they are covered, where again- a seller is NOT covered, or at best, ONLY up to 50%

3rd- Auction houses (live) ALL require a CC on file to even bid so you don't 'back out' after winning, like many millions have done to sellers here. 

B/M & Online store 'credits for returns' have ALWAYS shown a day, or 2 or 7 days later. Not much different that the 2 days after 'delivery confirmation' is done here. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

if they do you can ask to be placed in their exemption list. 

@ebooksdiva 

FWIW 
A seller  placing a buyer on their "exemption list" does not work with this feature.  The seller would have to uncheck the boxes/ submit those two that require a payment source upfront.   These are the preferences that limit a buyer's payment options, and remove the normal flow of combined shipping. 

From experience, I quit asking a seller to turn them off.  Most don't even know they are there, and they act like you are some sort of creep.  You can't send them a link to where these are located either, since eBay strips out all links in messages even if they are to an eBay page.  

Now, I see the pop up asking demanding I enter a payment source in order to proceed, I X out and go to a more buyer friendly seller who has no problem taking my money for five items for one shipping price. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@michael_kelly 

You will have to ask eBay that.  Those that control the money, control the process and the  outcome.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

It's funny. Not because I think what you experienced is funny, but because the sellers here act like you are the screwball in this situation. The same sellers who will cry about slow sales, no views, that eBay is the enemy, ect. 

The amount of sellers here doing a REALLY poor job is astounding. Yes, occasionally a buyer will scam a seller. Not all buyers are scammers. Buyers are not the enemy. You can't convince most seller of that on this board though. Over the last month, more than 40% of the items I bought had problems on the sellers end. A friend of mine who used to sell full time here, is having identical issues. The small mom/pop/closet cleaner sellers are where all the issues stem from. Poor descriptions, shipping issues, reselling junk, etc. 

All sellers are not the problem, but the ones that are, are not being tossed off the platform. This causes buyers to leave and sellers to suffer. As much as seller complain eBay doesn't take action, yes, they don't. Not just on one side but both sides of the issue.

Personally, I don't think ANY seller should be able to expect/demand immediate payment unless they also ship in 24 hours. You want a buyer to pay fast, you need to ship fast. 

And how a buyer prefers to pay, is NONE of any seller's business. I don't care what method they use. so long as the buyer pays. What card or type is of NO concern of any seller. I have family that does not have any credit cards. They don't trust they will not be hacked/stolen. So if they were to buy here, they too would need a prepaid card. Any seller who would refuse a sale because it's a prepaid card, isn't very business smart. 

Sellers expressing themselves here do NOT appreciate buyers. Without buyers, you get to pay for a store that makes no sales. Without buyers, you get to admire and walk around your piles of junk. Without buyers, you have wasted all your money in hopes of making profit that will never be. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply