cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting things sold

I am new to ebay and am excited about doing some business to supplement my disability income.  The first week I posted items I had 10 sales just by posting them.  After that I havn't gotten a sale unless I relist some existing listings.  I don't know if I am being charged to end a listing and then relist, and I don't know why I seem to only get sales when I relist something.  Otherwise it is dead.  What are you guys doing to get sales?  I have promoted 5 of my items and have had no response from those.  Help please. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Getting things sold

@princessdja wrote:
How do I post fast and free shipping?  I see it on other ads but can't find the place to post it on mine. thanks for the suggestion.”

Hi! Ebay automatically adds the little logo for “fast and free shipping” on a listing that offers free shipping and has a one-day handling time. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Getting things sold

I could Write a Book about this and many Have on this Message Board  

In the Last Year Ebay has Lost a Lot of Smaller Sellers and Seasoned ones too   

Way too Many Changes to Everything   

Started with GTC for ME and a Host of other Sellers   

Everyone has to Work with their Changes or Find other Platforms   

Not the Same Ebay that us Little Guys got them to This Far....😊😊 

Good Luck to All!!!

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

You're on the East Coast like me. I notice you are selling items for $6.75 with free shipping. If those items are less than 1#, you ship First Class mail right? Well, that doesn't leave you much profit(if any). $3.50-$5.50 or so shipping. Then EBAY costs. Cost of goods.   I occasionally sell an item that only profit a little. But, not often. 

Postage is a very big consideration. Add tape, bags, etc. You're losing money. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

@bill.purvis2012 wrote:

You're losing money. 

Pretty much ...

+6.75 - Gross Income

- 0.68 - eBay fees

- 0.50 - PayPal fees

- 3.44 - Average postage for 8 ounces

- 0.50 - Shipping supplies and overhead

- 0.20 - Inventory Shrink (e.g., MBG claims)

- 0.24 - Self-employment taxes

----------------------------------

=1.19 - Net Income before subtracting cost of goods

There might be profit there, depending on the cost of goods, but on average it takes an hour of work to source, prepare/inspect, photograph/list, fulfill, implement customer service, and ship a One-of-a-kind item ... all for $1.19.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

@princessdja wrote:

The first week I posted items I had 10 sales just by posting them.  After that I havn't gotten a sale unless I relist some existing listings.

eBay gives enhanced search-result visibility to newly listed, newly renewed, and about-to-expire listings.

I don't know if I am being charged to end a listing and then relist.

A relist will count toward your monthly listing allotment, which is either complimentary or included in a store subscription ... if you use up your listing allotment, then you will be charged a per-listing fee each time you relist.

You can see how many you have used by looking under the Promotional Offers section of your Seller Hub.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

I get what you are saying about ebay, but I still don't know how to even get my stuff seen so it sells without reposting them all the time.  What do you do to sell your products?  I am not looking for huge sales. 10 a week would be fine with me but I just don't know where to start in terms of selling tips. 

thanks

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

Offer fast and free shipping. Promote your listings at a higher rate. Run promotions and sales. Send offers to buyers or put best offer on your items. Make sure to lower prices after a while if the item is not getting many views or attention. And of course list items often. You can always have drafts made up and ready to go, then just post a few everyday to make sure you are getting new listings up more often.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

@princessdja wrote:

What do you do to sell your products? 

I list the items and leave them alone until they sell.

Some items sell fairly quick, but some take awhile to find the right buyer.

Have a great day.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

How do I post fast and free shipping?  I see it on other ads but can't find the place to post it on mine. thanks for the suggestion.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

I am getting around $2.50 per puzzle.  The time it takes really isn't bad. I am happy with that amount, i just need to get some sold. thanks all for helping me out.  Just wanted to note that I see others who are selling the exact same things I am selling are getting like 15 sales a day. I only need 10 a week. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

What is the user ID of the seller selling 15 per day?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

Don't do promote listings. That's just extra money in eBay's pocket. Many sellers/buyers have promoted listings blocked on their sites.  No benefit to you except some hope.   Time to list new items, relisted ones don't get many hits.  Try different sales categories. Be patient, it's been slow selling here for almost a year.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

how to even get my stuff seen

You have 82 free keystrokes in your Title.

You have 12 free pictures which show up in Search.

Those are your best advertising.

so it sells without reposting them all the time.

Did you get suckered into Auctions that only last seven days?

Auctions are less than 15% of eBay listings and most haves Buy It Now prices attached.

You can for the same price, list at Fixed Price for 30 days.

The 'same price'  is FREE for your first 50 items.

FP listings that do not sell will relist automatically at the end of a month. No relisting "all the time".  (Not everyone thinks this is an advantage.)

I agree that Free Shipping is liked by buyers.

DON'T PANIC!

Free Shipping means adding your shipping (and packaging) costs to your asking price.

Which is cheaper a $10 item with $5 shipping or a $15 item with Free Shipping?

(Hint- there is no right answer to this).

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

I like Promoted Listings.

Since I started using them, my Views have more than tripled.

But I rarely actually sell the PL items.

Why is this good?

Well, I'm not paying the 1%  fee I chose (My FVF rate as a TRS is 9.1% so ... that would break even)

BUT

I am selling more of my other listings.

I'm not much past the 'anecdote' stage and don't regard what I am seeing as'data' yet, but just counting the pages in my accounts book, there are more pages for January 2020 that there were for (pre-PL) January 2019.

So more sales, and the same fees?  I'm fine with that.

I don't mind paying for results, it's paying and getting no results I dislike.

OP-

You know that having a Store is an unnecessary expense at this point, right?

You don't need a Store to sell, you have 50 Free Listings every month without one, and I notice you only have 39 listings at the moment.

If you are looking to have more "free" listings you can have 100 with a Mini-Store for only $7.95 a month. Which is less than 8 cents a listing.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

I've been on Ebay over 20 years and can tell you when you list items, the most desirable ones at the fairest prices buyers are wiling to pay will sell out easily. Unless you restock new items, once those items have sold, it will always be that way. Most of the items that did not sell are in low demand or overpriced. Don't be like many sellers and just keep relisting and relisting without adding new stuff and/or changing your prices. If you do that you will be returning here and complaining daily it's Ebays fault. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply