cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting things sold

I am new to ebay and am excited about doing some business to supplement my disability income.  The first week I posted items I had 10 sales just by posting them.  After that I havn't gotten a sale unless I relist some existing listings.  I don't know if I am being charged to end a listing and then relist, and I don't know why I seem to only get sales when I relist something.  Otherwise it is dead.  What are you guys doing to get sales?  I have promoted 5 of my items and have had no response from those.  Help please. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Getting things sold

Hi @princessdja and welcome to the forum! 

I took a look at your listings and feedback page, and i’m happy to review these, but to tell you the truth, the thing that concerns me the most is your admission that you don’t know if you’re getting charged for the relists.

It is very important to get a handle on the fee structure (and rules for selling) prior to listing. I do understand the impulse to just list first and then make the best of it, but you are likely hoping to make this a permanent feature of your livelihood, and i would hate for a new seller to get a surprise bill at the end of the month because the costs are unknown.

Since you don’t have many listings, it is unlikely you will be in over your head at this point, but if you start to sell more, the fees can add up quickly. So definitely take the time to learn what you are doing by knowing the costs to list an item, the fees for selling an item, as well as comparing the costs of a store vs. no store.

Knowing the costs upfront is important so you can figure them into your asking price. All your costs need to be rolled into that price.

Each item will have the insertion fees shown on the Sell Your Item form before you post it live on eBay, whether you are using the Quick or Advanced listing tool. It appears at the bottom of the form. If you don’t use the extras that can cost additional dollars (like sub-titles, bolded font in the title, enlarged pictures, etc.) the insertion fees can be kept at a minimum, including zero costs to list with your allocation of free listings.

For selling fees, if a promoted listing sells, you will be charged an extra fee based on the percentage you selected during listing. Otherwise, eBay usually gets 10% of the sale for most categories. That includes 10% of the total sale: item price plus shipping.

Keep in mind that PayPal takes 2.9% of the sale plus a 30 cent fee. (The PP fees are non-refundable in case of return.) I recommend you look into PP’s micropayment program. It is geared to sellers with items primarily under $10, and can lower those PP costs. (For example, the 30 cents gets dropped to 5 cents if i recall correctly.)

I agree with the other poster that you do not appear to need a store at this time. There are advantages to having one, such as a vacation mode, but with only 40 listings, you can likely save money by just using the 50 free listings a non-store seller gets each month. Food for thought. However, if you signed up with a yearly contract, as opposed to a month by month, there can be hefty financial penalties for ending it before the time’s up.

Below are some links for more information you might find helpful. I truly wish you the absolute best and many happy sales. Come back anytime!

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-fees/store-fees?id=4122

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

@princessdja wrote:
How do I post fast and free shipping?  I see it on other ads but can't find the place to post it on mine. thanks for the suggestion.”

Hi! Ebay automatically adds the little logo for “fast and free shipping” on a listing that offers free shipping and has a one-day handling time. 

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Getting things sold

Ah the free shipping dilemma.

Some like to use free shipping. Some don't.  I don't.   Just a personal preference. When i buy an item, i'm only looking at TOTAL COST.  It doesn't matter what the shipping charges are or are not. If i'm buying a widget, i don't care if it's $20 with free shipping -or- $10 with $10 shipping -or- $1 with $19 shipping.  

Sellers will have lots of opinions on this issue. 

Good luck selling!

Bye Bye Love - The Cars
Message 18 of 18
latest reply