cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Worried: eBay Authenticator Taking Too Long and... (TCG Pokemon)

Buyer made purchase on Dec 30th. I shipped and it arrived at the Hub Jan 5th. I've not noticed any updates since. It has only been 5 days in the hands of the authenticators, but that seems to be more than enough time to authenticate a graded card. I am worried if it continues to be delayed the buyer will take it out on me.  I am not worried about the card being returned with claims of it being a fake as the card is from a booster box I purchased from Wizards of the Coast back in 1999-2000 and it has been in my collection always. IF there is a problem with the card it was a switcharoo by PSA or the authenticator. I have pictures of the card before it went to PSA, after PSA, before authenticator (probably 100 light box images... I do this to protect myself).

ALSO - 

I also noticed something that I am not very happy about. I sold another card tonight and the funds are on hold until it is authenticated.  I did skim through what eBay authen was when it first came out, but I never read that they would "hold" funds and then release the funds once it was authenticated. They've never held my funds for graded cards before, cards that were worth far more. I am not so sure I want to ship a 2K card without being paid for it. Just seems fishy to me. 

I tend to be one of those that worry ... should I?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@pokemomster_og wrote:

Buyer made purchase on Dec 30th. I shipped and it arrived at the Hub Jan 5th. I've not noticed any updates since. It has only been 5 days in the hands of the authenticators, but that seems to be more than enough time to authenticate a graded card.

IF there is a problem with the card it was a switcharoo by PSA or the authenticator. 

I also noticed something that I am not very happy about. I sold another card tonight and the funds are on hold until it is authenticated.  

1st- You have NO idea HOW many cards are ahead of you to be authenticated, especially with the holidays just behind. Could be 3-6 weeks. NOT your problem.

2- switcharoo? This site did not invest Millions into putting together authenticators that are thieves. They do items that sell for WAY more than your card did. 

3- New sellers (sellers not selling REGULARLY past 90 days) and/or HIGH END sales that are NOT normal for that seller, are subject to easily 30+ day holds...since the 30 Day Money Back Guarantee is backed by Ebay, they don't want to be left 'holding' the bag should the buyer want to return it. (although I believe 'cards' are a shorter time...but again, NOT an abnormality)

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It is my problem if they decide to give me negative feedback for the delay. I hope eBay authenticators do not turn into a 15 days at the authenticator, 5 days shipping to, 5 days shipping out. That would be messy!

You read into the switcharoo wrong it was not me suggesting they did or will it was more so suggesting it was not likely. Wanted to keep people from jumping the gun that the card was probably a fake. 

As for new sellers, been here far too long, selling regularly for a long time, sold much higher end then these, six figures on cards so its wasn't that. 

Actually, just figured out what was. It was my payment on file - the card exp date ran out. Just fixed it and all is fine. The notice of the hold never mentioned that was the issue. I actually got the notice to update after the hold. Delays I guess. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@pokemomster_og wrote:

It is my problem if they decide to give me negative feedback for the delay. 

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee-tradingcards-seller/

What automated protections does eBay have for sellers?

We have automated protections for sellers who send their items to the authenticator within their stated handling time. Once the item goes through inspection and is sent to the buyer, you are fully protected against any negative or neutral feedback. The Item Not Received cases will be removed from the Service Metrics dashboard before the next evaluation cycle. Should an Item Not Received case be closed and a refund issued to the buyer, you will not be responsible for that refund as long as eBay has tracking information confirming delivery to the authenticator, which can be found in the View Order Details.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@pokemomster_og wrote:

Buyer made purchase on Dec 30th. I shipped and it arrived at the Hub Jan 5th. I've not noticed any updates since. It has only been 5 days in the hands of the authenticators, but that seems to be more than enough time to authenticate a graded card. 

Are you using the eBay Authenticity Guarantee?

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/ebay-authenticity-guarantee?id=4644&st=3&pos=3&query...

How eBay Authenticity Guarantee works

If your item is eligible for eBay Authenticity Guarantee, it will be automatically added to the program, free of charge. There is no opt in or opt out option.

Items included in the eBay Authenticity Guarantee program display a blue Authenticity Guarantee check mark badge. Buyers will see the badge in the search results page, the view item page, the checkout page and their Purchase history page.

When you make a sale, you have to send the item to the authenticator's address provided by eBay. Once the authenticator receives the item, the inspection is processed within 2 business days.

Once the authenticator confirms the item is consistent with the listing title, description, and images, they perform a physical authentication inspection. If the inspector cannot determine that the product is authentic, or if the product is not as described in the listing, the item will be returned to you and the buyer will receive their money back. If the item passes inspection, it will be shipped to the buyer with 2 day secure delivery. If the item passes inspection and is a trading card, it will be shipped to the buyer with 4 day secure delivery. Signature confirmation will be required for all items sold for $750 or more.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you, wastingtime101! That makes me feel better knowing that.  I've heard some horror stories about people getting negative feedback due to long shipping times. I fear it and that is why I always ship within 1 business day.  I really appreciate you explaining that to me!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

No prob. It's an automated process so the bad FB would either be blocked or auto-scrubbed within the week. If for any reason that doesn't happen you could request FB removal here https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp and in the comments box say it's an Authenticity Guarantee sale protected from neg/neut FB, post the the link and text I provided above. They will remove it, though it shouldn't come to that. The automated process is usually pretty good.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yes, it was. It is currently with them now. I sold two cards that day, both went separately to the authenticator address(s) eBay gave me, for each, and they delivered and signed for.  One has already been cleared and shipped to the new owner.  I am still waiting on the other.

I've had several wonderful experiences with eBay Authentication... they went quickly. This time it is a bit slower so I was getting worried. It makes sense the holiday sales could have slowed them down a bit. Thank you for being so kind to give me the info. You were very helpful. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I am sure it will work out ok for you.  Hopefully they are just a little busy and behind but are catching up.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I had a card arrive at the authenticator on January 2nd and Ebay is acting like it is lost.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply