cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTC is AWFUL--but you know what's worse than that? Lots of things.

Someone please wake me up from this nightmare called eBay. It's like a bad dream--when I think back over all the hours, days, weeks, months of my life--spent working here on eBay tediously doing listings.  All the times I wasted days, when suddenly my listings weren't compliant anymore with whatever glitch, "update" or new policy they threw at me.  I have been through my listings (over 1200 of them) so many times, one by one--fixing some God awful new issue this past year, and struggling so hard to figure out how to (forget succeeding--I am lucky to keep my head above water) keep my account in good standing and compliant--that I haven't even barely had time to do any new listings.  It seems like every time I log on here, there is some new policy, site change, feature, or glitch--that instead takes precedence.  I find myself making so much less money than I did even one year ago--that I am literally appalled at the thought of how my time has been wasted.  For what purpose did I devote all of those precious hours to eBay?  So I could see my earnings plummet, my stress level go up--only now to have the dreadful realization that I should have been putting my best efforts elsewhere?  Tell me that it is all just the imaginings of a tired seller's overworked mind--that this eBay, right now--is not what I wasted all these years on.

My pie chart that documents my costs used to say that I was at 25% expenses--that included fees, the cost of my items, and shipping.  Then they took away our FVF discount, and postage went up, and my costs went up to 30%.  Now I am inching close to 50%--and this percentage does not include the cost of my items.  I have a stack of returns sitting on my kitchen table, and that figure isn't included either.  So with all the returns I have, and the cost of my items, I figure I am closer to 70% expenses.  Are you kidding me?  eBay has, in ONE year--decreased my earnings from 75% to 30%?????  It's like a nightmare....a total horror show.  I am virtually putting nothing in the bank....False SNAD's galore last month, and this month I tried free returns for a few weeks--it was a nightmare.  I didn't get but one SNAD, but one out of every twelve items was returned.  Are you kidding me?  Talk about taking advantage.  There is no way I can ever offer free returns--not with clothing.  So many returns that stated, "It didn't fit."  How can this be?  I put detailed and accurate measurements on everything.  Lazy--eBay has trained the buyers to be lazy and careless.  They are soon going to realize that their carelessness is going to cause virtually no sellers to offer free returns.  It is all I can do, not to write these buyers and ask them, "Do they happen to own a measuring tape?"

If I were to take advantage of the "Listing Promotions" (isn't that a laugh--perfect example of eBay double speak--a promotion is supposed to be a good thing--how about a seller promotion for once?) then my profit margin becomes more like 18-20%.  Because most of the clothing categories that are being promoted are at 12% average--or so eBay says.  This is insanity.  They have stripped me down to nothing.  I am working for peanuts, but still working just as hard as I ever did.  I sold the same amount that I usually do this month, and last year I was putting around 2400.00 in the bank from my main store.  This month--not even 1000.00.  That is HUGE difference--and nothing but a slap in the face. 

And again--I sit down to do listings, and end up having to figure out how this GTC is going to work. I have read all the postings on this change, and I am still worried--and a little bit confused too.  Just another thing to be wary of.  Another reason not to trust this company--and another source of stress.  I feel like I'm in prison.  I always have to watch my back, and God forbid I drop the ball or my let my guard down for one minute--I know Big Brother eBay will be standing right there, just waiting for me to bend over.  Telling me all the while how much they are actually "helping" me--and how what they are doing to me and my little business is "for my benefit."  I am so disgusted, I don't even know where my disgust begins and my rage ends.  

Oh yeah, and guess who has "high" returns?  That's right--go ahead and scoop another big chunk out of my profits.  I have 100% feedback, ALL positives--on over 1200 sales this year, and 5 star ratings (except shipping is 4.9), but I'm a terrible seller.......right. More like, people don't read, and don't care at all about the toll their behavior is taking on the little sellers here--they'll miss us when we're gone--count on it.  But nobody thinks about the future of this company--certainly not the megalomaniacs in charge.  Buyers are so used to jumping on whatever short-sighted bandwagon that eBay throws at them, that they have learned just to go with it--and I honestly don't blame them for their ignorance.  If eBay treats its sellers like garbage, then what do we really expect from the buyers?  They have been taught to show us no regard, and have literally been pushed in every way, to cause our accounts the maximum amount of damage.  

The very worst thing though--in my opinion, is the search.  It is absolutely criminal to hide our listings that we pay for--either with store fees, listing fees, or final value fees--we pay several times over when one item sells, and sometimes we pay all THREE ways.  BUT eBay isn't satisfied with that--they want us to also pay for Promoted listing fees, and HIGH return fees--so we can then pay FIVE different ways to sell ONE item--the absolute greed is just sickening. 

I was looking for prom dresses for my daughter earlier today, and sure enough, I was only shown a small handful of choices. I assume that prom dress sellers feel that they don't need to use "Promoted" listings for an item that a lot of people are looking for.  Well guess what--underneath the handful of listings that I got (and OF COURSE, most were from overseas--even when I specifically checked the box for US only), were thousands of listings that were "results matching fewer words."  But a lot of them matched what I had typed in exactly.  Over and over this happened....I tried every different kind of search I could think of.....to no avail. And I know they are messing around with the amount of items even shown in the "results matching fewer words" area, at different times of the day-- because I have checked at three different times today, and sometimes I get 2,000 listings, but just in the last hour--there were 16 that they said "matched" and then only about 50 underneath.  What the heck?  I can't even find some of the dresses I was looking at earlier right now.  And they did not sell....they are just....gone. For now, at least.

If I type in, "Prom Dress Dave and Johnny Ice Blue 12 Full Skirt Tulle" I might only get a few listings (at least I DID in the past) but they are listings that I am interested in.  I am perfectly capable of narrowing OR broadening my own search. I am NOT interested in a champagne colored dress from China in a size 4.  But I can't even get the basics to work for me--I was down to three word searches, and it was a catastrophe.  And from a seller's perspective--I don't care if I'm on the last page of thousand pages, because someone who types in "Prom dress 12 ice blue full skit" just might ONLY see my dress. IF it is available to see, that is--and I might get a sale.  But I WON"T get a sale if my dress is even lucky enough to be included in the "results matching fewer words" area, along with 2,000 other dresses, because for ONE thing--you CAN'T SEARCH that area--you can't organize it from lowest price to highest--you can't filter by size, shipping cost, or country of origin--you can't do ANYTHING with that section, but sift through it one listing at a time and look through 2,000 listings to hopefully find what you want.  Who has time for that? Not me, and not your average buyer.  This company has become so hateful towards their small sellers, that they would rather cut off their own nose, rather than to help us put money in our pockets--they would rather have NO sale, than run this site fairly--and it is beyond comprehension.   And no seller on eBay got a sale from me today, because after two hours of wasting time here, and after getting seriously frustrated, I did what tons of other buyers must be doing--I went somewhere else--and found what I wanted. 

This is the true problem for most of us--how can we sell anything if we are not even being shown?  Is the answer really to give eBay an extra 12% of our already SLIM profits? Do you really think they deserve to get more money from us?  This is an outrage--and I can't help but think that forcing us to do these GTC listings, is just another way to bury our items, and make them lose relevance in the search.  To make us forget to revise them and update them--and don't forget about the HUGE controversy when eBay just took it upon themselves to TAKE DOWN and DELETE a bunch of sellers' listings that had "been up for too long."  Doesn't that strike some terror into anyone else's heart?  No warning, no discussion--some people lost thousands of listings--just *POOF* gone.  All that hard work.....gone. Personally, that is the thing that really worries me about these GTC listings.

You know, eBay does encourage us to get bigger and bigger stores--now we find ourselves, many of us, in the position of looking back at all the time we have spent working to get those listings up and compliant--and it is beyond understandable why so many of the long time sellers are reluctant to leave.  I dread the thought of doing 1200 listings again for another selling site.  But I will, and most likely I will have to.  Pretty soon I'm going to be working for what--10% profit?  You think eBay will be satisfied then? I don't-- I think they see us as geese that lay the golden eggs, and when we have no more eggs to give them--they will cut our throats, devour us, and use our bones to pick their teeth with.  That is how little we mean to this company.

But I have a plan, and I have decided to pull 80% to 100% of my listings for the first two weeks of next month.  Starting on April Fool's day I will be showing only a small fraction of the listings I usually have up.  I am sick of complaining and being told that there is nothing we can do.  If every seller here took down (or didn't allow the GTC to roll over) for even 50% of their listings--eBay would show a HUGE loss.  And then maybe management would sit up and take notice of their "small" and "unimportant" sellers.  Maybe when the corporate fat cats and their stock holder buddies start having to be accountable for their terrible decisions things might change.  As it stands now, we come here and complain, and that is fine, everyone deserves to have their say--but we don't come to any solutions--and right now we need action. The ONLY way to get a message to them is through their pocketbooks--that is literally all they care about. 

They don't care about the years we've spent here, the time and effort that 99% of us put into being the best representatives for this company that we can be--and the fact is, eBay has some great sellers, and we deserve to be treated with a little fairness & respect. We have earned, at least, that much. The amount of fees that some of us have paid into this company is MIND-BENDING.  I look at just what I've paid to them, and I am shocked--and I am in no way a HUGE seller--I am very small--but I could buy a nice house with what I've paid eBay.  But they don't care if they cheat us, step on us, and use us whenever they need a few extra dollars.  I am not trying to influence anyone in any way--we all have our own needs and reasons for doing what we do--I am only throwing out a suggestion, and telling you what I am going to do.  I know that the trolls and the cheerleaders will be here shortly, and if they can't refute this post, and state over and over, that "nothing can be done" then they will start off-topic arguments attempting to get this post silenced--it happens a lot to my posts--and it doesn't really bother me, to be honest. I am not the type of person to just give up and give in--not yet--not when there is still some hope.

Reading through this board, I have never seen sellers so upset and angry--how much more can we honestly take?  Just when we think it can't get any worse it does...so is losing some income in the short term worth gaining in the long term?  eBay only thinks about the short term, so maybe if we also stop worrying about our personal gains for the short term, and instead take a little vacation--spend time with our friends and family, do something special during the times we would have been listing--paint a picture, re-arrange the bedroom furniture, go through your inventory and organize--anything other than putting up listings.  Can you imagine what it would look like if all at once, not only the GTC plan failed, but also if Promoted listings took a HUGE downward turn?  How satisfying would that be?  My purpose here today was not only to commiserate about the stupid GTC listings, but to also shine a light on all the other terrible things that have happened, and continue to happen here. I am sick and tired of being treated like an imbecile by this company.  The only reason they keep getting away with disrespecting us, fleecing us, and hurting our businesses is because we keep rolling over and letting them. The fact is, that things can only get worse--what do we really have to lose?  I thought six months ago when they took away 20% FVF's that things couldn't really get much worse--but instead of being satisfied with that huge financial boon, it seemed to only serve to make them more greedy, and more entitled to OUR hard-earned profits.  As if now, instead of actually looking for ways to improve this site, they literally are only looking for a short-term cash grab--one after another--always from the sellers. And it won't stop, they have gotten far too comfortable with their big pay-offs from us.  It won't stop unless we make it stop.  So I will make my stand on April Fools's Day--and as I do not only will I be hoping for the best April Fools Day prank ever, but I will also be thinking about the wise words of Abraham Lincoln, repeated by the brilliant Bob Marley--both heroes of men, and champions of the  "little" people.  "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time." 

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Preaching to the choir, here -- my sales this month are the absolute WORST since I began selling on eBay nearly 8 years ago -- not even averaging a single sale a day!  There was enough in my PayPal account to pay all my fees this month; but who knows what will happen between now and the next fee deadline -- especially with this new GTC abomination (by the way, GTC is NOT the abbreviation for "Good 'Till Canceled" -- it actually is the abbreviation for "Grab The Cash").

I'll be wasting time, on a daily basis, canceling one listing after another each time a listing reaches 28 days.  Currently, I have over 1500 listings, spread unevenly over the course of a month -- so it will probably be necessary to take off time from my REAL job, in order to waste time on eBay, canceling listings, so that eBay won't be gobbling up more $$$ in unjustified fees.   And eBay claims that GTC will be SAVING me time and money?!?  How, exactly, do they figure that -- unless they simply expect their sellers to be ignorant!

Every quarterly seller update for the past several years has only provided more obstacles for eBay's sellers, and definitely no inducement to be excited about the eBay selling experience.  And, just as certain, eBay always seems to find yet another way to milk more fees from its sellers and increase our stress levels to unhealthy levels.  What used to be FUN is now little more than a grudging necessity: if I did not have so much inventory listed, and if there was another selling platform of any comparable size, I would be out of here without a whimper.

This "one size fits all" model from eBay does not work, and some of us have been telling eBay for many years that it doesn't work.  But, as long as we keep feeding the eBay monster, it'll never starve.

GTC also is the abbreviation for "G*****n This Corporation."

Message 2 of 97
latest reply

Very well said! 

I'm not a Seller (was hoping to be), but I'm a frequent Buyer since 2010. 

I'm in solidarity with Sellers and will stop buying on eBay until the GTC Issue is addressed (in addition to some other serious issues I've reported).

Message 3 of 97
latest reply

I agree, and very well said. If you check my ID, you will find out that I have no listings. I ended and deleted all of my 274 listings between my two IDs. I have been reducing them this month because of the impending GTC. I did have around 426 listings. The GTC change was the last straw for me as a seller.

Summer sails for you like a Midsummer Night's Dream!
Message 4 of 97
latest reply

Reading the posts here I would never want to Sell on eBay, but I also don't want to see this company fail.  I used to live in San Jose and watched the Headquarters campus being built.

There are many people who use the site to supplement their income or earn a living.  The practice of adding fees is bad enough, but forcing Sellers to jump through hoops into a fire is abusive and crosses a line.

I'm working on getting more visibility on this and other concerns.

Message 5 of 97
latest reply

Great post! Sums up Ebay entirely. 

I got out years ago. Selling on Ebay is akin to filing taxes with the IRS. So silly to take something fun and turn it into a misery circus. 

I do, or did, still buy here but thats come to a grinding halt. Just not much new interesting inventory. They've ran off so many sellers over the years that its eroded the site, even to the buyers. Its almost painful to search anymore and when I do buy something I feel like I'm encouraging Ebays disgusting behavior. Ebay ranks right up there with Cable Companies in terms of reputation. The difference is at least the cable company delivers a useful product. Ebay just wastes most peoples time

Message 6 of 97
latest reply

Very thoughtful and well articulated, thank you for taking the time out of your busy life to share what I agree wholeheartedly with and I am sure many others do also! GOD Bless and remember this statement "I will not lose what I have now over something I have already lost!"

Message 7 of 97
latest reply

very heart felt,very sincere not the thread of a slacker,i guess started some time last year when they changed the watchers made some other changes that eCommerce interview with an executive at eBay acknowledged  that the watcher change alone would change the sales conversion rate downward the exec was asked if it was permanent and they said yes it was permanent (i thought huh they say they know it hurts sales and do it any way huh?),many not so smart changes with like results that changed the psychology and took away many of the things that helped drive sales that helped buyers pull the trigger were gone,for a while very frustrated but after all the hair pull out from various things (remember the lost photos?) now i am very calm and understand it doesn't do any good to get wound up and can only do so much,it's a point that you get to that's beyond despair just numb to it now,very unusual changes they have made.i tagged these changes "sneaky change'in tech discussions,they did walk back one change it was the "see sellers other item change" it was so destructive to sales they walked back. 

Message 8 of 97
latest reply

with all the changes ebay has done its like they dont want  people to sell on ebay   

higher and higher fees and take more money and time to deal with  better off just selling on facebook or craigslist   saves time and money  to bad  i pay 300 plus a month in selling fees  on a slow month    guess that wasnt good enough for them

Message 9 of 97
latest reply

I stopped selling in this cess-pool last September after 20 years and have never felt better. The reasons for leaving are endless.

ebay is not your friend, not your partner. They are a monopolistic buzz-word greed factory who's only goals are to squeeze every dime they can from anyone they can and grow their partnership with Communist China.

Do yourself a favor and take a break. You may find like I did, you'll never come back.

Message 10 of 97
latest reply

Yup, the "watchers change", VERY TWISTED to change a feature that regresses sales and not spurs them! I agree totally that was a real sign on the wall that SALES of ACTUAL ITEMS are Not Top Priority here anymore!

Message 11 of 97
latest reply

Yeah one of the reasons why ebay forced the GTC on sellers is because of the Watchers situation.

If sellers are ending their items every 30 days then the sellers lose their watchers on that item when they relist.

If automatically relisted, then the watchers on that item remains.

Still, it should be up to the sellers if they want to lose their watchers or not.

Message 12 of 97
latest reply

used to always have optimistic projections always for the pending year,now i don't have a clue how to even go about making one there just isn't any rhyme or reason to this platform,call me a sucker but eBay still my best bet,lots of butter flies in my stomach when i think about it.
Message 13 of 97
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

GTC's are bad, E-bay! Increasing your revenue while stealing more from the sellers. I am seriously considering leaving this dump after all the years I've been on too. It is shady and ill run.

Thank you for nothing e-bay

Message 14 of 97
latest reply

I can't help but wonder if ebay did away with 30 day listing to some time in the future bring it back making us pay 5 cents for it saying, "It's back!  We heard you and we listened!" .... when they planned it this way all along.  😕

Message 15 of 97
latest reply