cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTC, another money grab from ebay

If there is anyone out there that doesn't see this as another way for ebay to make money than they are crazy.  Yes, there is a work around, watch your listings and end them before the 30 days. However, how many will forget .How many $.35 will they collect in new listing fees.  How much before they can brag to stockholders and wall street that they are finally making money.  When has ebay done something for you? I am having a hard time remembering when they actually had a good update for sellers.  Last I looked we were their bread and butter.

So just to clarify, I prefer to let my 30 day listings end and then have the opportunity as time allows to rework them.  Or maybe let them rest awhile while I use my free listings for new items.  How many watchers will it **bleep** off to see a 30 day listing end at 29 days.  I hate ending a listing with watchers as there are some people that wait until the last minute.  

My suggestion to ebay would be to allow an opt out especially for small sellers. Will they listen? Doubtful

Oh, and allow me to opt out of the new seller hub.  What a bunch of distraction.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

@l-s-enterprises wrote:

If there is anyone out there that doesn't see this as another way for ebay to make money than they are crazy.  Yes, there is a work around, watch your listings and end them before the 30 days. However, how many will forget .How many $.35 will they collect in new listing fees.  How much before they can brag to stockholders and wall street that they are finally making money.  When has ebay done something for you? I am having a hard time remembering when they actually had a good update for sellers.  Last I looked we were their bread and butter.

So just to clarify, I prefer to let my 30 day listings end and then have the opportunity as time allows to rework them.  Or maybe let them rest awhile while I use my free listings for new items.  How many watchers will it **bleep** off to see a 30 day listing end at 29 days.  I hate ending a listing with watchers as there are some people that wait until the last minute.  

My suggestion to ebay would be to allow an opt out especially for small sellers. Will they listen? Doubtful

Oh, and allow me to opt out of the new seller hub.  What a bunch of distraction. 

eBay has 25 Million registered sellers and each of us want and prefer different things for our businesses, but the fact is this is eBay's website.   eBay is not trying to run sellers businesses, they are trying to expand their business, and because our business relies on their business we have to abide by their policies.  It is no different than a tenant at a shopping mall following the policies in there rental contracts or citizens following the laws in your local communities.

Many sellers who have history in using GTC like it and IMO it is easier to end active listing that are not performing versus waiting for them to end and then relisting.  GTC gives you a chance to make change to your listings before they renew and or end them for whatever reasons you have.

I get it some are very concerned about not being successful with this change but like everything in business you have to find solutions and the answers are there, you just have to identify which ones will work for you.

Hang in there are look for ways to succeed.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

It’s definitely a money grab by eBay.   I refuse to submit. My ads are going to be 28 or 29 day listings. I will end them before they relist. Instead of selling individual diecast cars at 5-7 dollars , I will list 2 diecast cars for 8.99 or higher. This is really going to annoy that buyer that onLy wanted 1 car.  I will not get a store.

from reading the posts, I can see that some sellers will do anything that ebay asks. Some write and love Gtc and when I check their listings, it’s all cheap stuff. They will have a very hard time making a profit if their cheap items continue to relist with fees.  

I say say continue to voice your displeasure. Call ebay. Write on their Facebook page.  Get a big calender to remind u to close ads.  Try to list stuff in bunches to end late at night.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Absolutely a money grab.  Why all of the sudden did they throw two free listing promos at sellers with odd ending times.   They know sellers will get confused and forget to end in hopes those listings will rollover and they get paid.   I am out March 31 and while I had a great run on Ebay since Feb 1998 I refuse to be forced into GTC and MANAGED PAYMENTS.    You think GTC is a money grab....think of the interest ebay will make when they collect all the money and control dispersements.    Besides that the internet as a whole is too full of hackers scammers and fraud.   Back to the swap meet for me personally.  I control everything from start to finish.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

@doubledz-a2z wrote:

Absolutely a money grab.  Why all of the sudden did they throw two free listing promos at sellers with odd ending times.   They know sellers will get confused and forget to end in hopes those listings will rollover and they get paid.   I am out March 31 and while I had a great run on Ebay since Feb 1998 I refuse to be forced into GTC and MANAGED PAYMENTS.    You think GTC is a money grab....think of the interest ebay will make when they collect all the money and control dispersements.    Besides that the internet as a whole is too full of hackers scammers and fraud.   Back to the swap meet for me personally.  I control everything from start to finish.

The promos I saw and heard talked about included auctions as an option?  Again an example of eBay giving sellers options.

eBay releases the funds to your banking option every evenings.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Everyone has their own reaction to this and their own decisions to make as to how they want to go forward.

Some will adapt, some will move on.  

As you said, you don't have to like them.  

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

GLS I love ya...........but this was a swing and a miss analogy. Ebay is NOTHING like a mall raising rents on tenants. In order to raise rents, there are clauses that give vendors notices as to when and how much the rate changes are. These changes ebay makes is the equivalent as to coming into your mall store and saying..........you can not sell that shirt for just 10 days. We are going to charge you rent for the store, rent for having that shirt for sale and you must leave it for sale for 30 days...........and if you dont remember to pull that shirt off the market before that 30 days you have to pay to sell it again.

Think of how ridiculous that sounds. That is literally how your analogy is working with this.
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Yes, its 100% a money grab again disguised as a way to help sellers. If it was not a money grab it was be the easiest fix of all time. "No relist fees on GTC items that relist without a sale".

You will never see this of course because its 100% about getting those extra fees from people who arent prepared to sit on ebay waiting for items to end every 20 minutes that they listed them from a month ago.
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Yes this is more accurate! Ebay tries to control every aspects of how sellers conduct business. The irony is Ebay thinks they know what buyers want, yet they have an internet full of AWFUL reviews, a messageboard full of disgruntled sellers and a reputation that ranks right up there with a cable company.

If you treated your customers like Ebay treats theirs you wouldnt be around long.

I can't take selling advice from a Company that abuses their customers to the point of disgust at the mere mention of the company name.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

I plan on doing the exact same thing as you, Great minds think alike!

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@l-s-enterprises wrote:

So you want to help your customers and watchers by ending the listing after 29 or 30 days? If I search the internet and find your item, click on it to see that it ended because you don't want to pay a fee, is that how e commerce should work? You can avoid all that by subscribing to a basic store for $15

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

How exactly does having a basic store help. They are not exempt from gtc. And they have fees after their free listings .please explain. I'm all ears

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@cashvaluerecovery2011 wrote:
GLS I love ya...........but this was a swing and a miss analogy. Ebay is NOTHING like a mall raising rents on tenants. In order to raise rents, there are clauses that give vendors notices as to when and how much the rate changes are. These changes ebay makes is the equivalent as to coming into your mall store and saying..........you can not sell that shirt for just 10 days. We are going to charge you rent for the store, rent for having that shirt for sale and you must leave it for sale for 30 days...........and if you dont remember to pull that shirt off the market before that 30 days you have to pay to sell it again.

Think of how ridiculous that sounds. That is literally how your analogy is working with this.

It probably does sound ridiculous to you because apparently you do not read things very well?  I did not say anything about a mall raising rents?  You made that up.  I talked specifically about tenants following the policies in there rental contracts.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated. Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful as required by the Rules of Engagement.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@l-s-enterprises wrote:

If there is anyone out there that doesn't see this as another way for ebay to make money than they are crazy. 

How many watchers will it **bleep** off to see a 30 day listing end at 29 days.  I hate ending a listing with watchers as there are some people that wait until the last minute.  

I've been reading a lot of these complaints about GTC and most complain about the same 2 things, another way for Ebay to make more money, and they want control over their listings.

They will only make more money from it if the sellers allow them to.

You want more control over your listings, but you want Ebay to control them and stop the listing at 3, 10 or 30 days, instead of ending them yourself.

You can control when your listings start and you can control when they end.

If you manage your listings right, the chance of paying extra listing fee's is pretty slim.

I've used GTC since 2012 and I've never had any extra listing fee's, so it can be done.

If you have watchers, why would you want to end the listing, let it go for another 30 days.

The old way, if you had any watchers, once the listing ended, your watcher were gone.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 30
latest reply