cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Ebay Promoted Listings Worth It? How have they worked for you?

Hi,

I've been looking into ebay promoted listings, as they might help my sales pick up.

I was wondering, has anyone tried promoted listings before with success?

Since you don't pay a commission unless the item sells, it seems pretty risk-free to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would appreciate if any of you sellers out there would share your experience with Ebay promoted/sponsored listings, and how they have effected your sales.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

It's Schrödinger's Cat, you can't prove that the item would not have sold without the promoted listing unless you kill the cat.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

ebay thinks 99.9% of it's sellers can't tell the diff between correlation and causality.
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

The cost to sell a Promoted Item is Toooo High.  For a promoted item to sell you have to be willing to have a much higher percentage taken out of your proceeds which means for you to re-coup your costs you must mark up the item to a non-competitve sale price.

Sounds good on paper untill you put a pencil to it.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I have to say that this statement implies that ebay buyers are NOT your valued customers:

Note.Because this product does not meet our company's standards, we are selling the collar for Half Price 50% OFF For a Limited Time Clearance SaleThe original price was $24.99, But is now available for just $12.49. We say all this with full disclosure, as our policy is selling only high quality items to valued customers.

You may want to re-word that, because you are selling seconds on ebay if it doesn't meet your company's standards.

Don't get the whole promoted listing thing. If I was willing to take less net profit for my item when selling, logic would tell me that I'd be far better off to LOWER my price to make it much more appealing to buyers than I would to "promote" the listing and be on the hook for more fees to eBay. How many buyers out there completely ignore promoted listings? I do and I will NEVER buy one. eBay gets enough of a percentage of my money when I buy. I'll do without before I give them more.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

do they not differentiate between listings sold through promoted listings and those not?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

There is no way for anyone to prove that the item actually sold BECAUSE of the promoted listing.  Just because the person clicked on the promoted listing at some time in the last 30 days does not mean that they would not have bought the item from you without it being promoted.   I've been using promoted listings in a high volume category (Hallmark Christmas Ornaments) and see NO difference in how often they sell.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@cjdogcollars3 wrote:

Hi,

I've been looking into ebay promoted listings, as they might help my sales pick up.

I was wondering, has anyone tried promoted listings before with success?

Since you don't pay a commission unless the item sells, it seems pretty risk-free to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would appreciate if any of you sellers out there would share your experience with Ebay promoted/sponsored listings, and how they have effected your sales.

If you have a store they give you a credit

It's pay to play on ebay so if you don't you won't get the exposure that the seller who use the program do.  So use the program or lose sales. But ebay is not forcing you to use it, wink wink. 

The program also adds no value to the consumer unless you believe that sellers who use the program are better for consumers than those who do not use it.

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

If you have the best price, or close to it, and a buyer sorts by price, how far down the list would you be, promoted or not?...especially in a niche category.
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Look at this chart of numbers, I don't even know what items I had tested just there are 2 listings being promoted but it tells me I have 92000 impressions, 32 clicks and 0 sales. So a bunch of ads for my whopping 2 listings were served up (that's the 92k impressions number), 32 clicks means 32 of the 92000 got a click through from a buyer, and nothing got sold. Honestly it's easier if you took those 2 listings and compared it to what recently sold and recently got listed to get a better idea of what yours would sell at. You can see how many clicks came through on any day as wwell.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

The promos used to be very worth it back when you weren't forced to use good till cancelled (GTC). I used to list 500 items with no insertion fees. Now since the forced GTC its still worth it but you have to remember to end the listing for anything over 50 items the day before they self renew.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I have done some listed with promotion, honestly I haven't gotten much sales. Etsy on the other hand I been able to get some sales. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

It really depends on what you're selling. If you're selling OOAK, collectible, hard to find items, you shouldn't really 'need' to promote. Buyers will find your item. 

However, if you are like me and selling clothing (highly saturated product market) people mainly search by name brand which turns up hundreds of results even with filters. So, to get my items closer to the top of search results I use and I like Promoted Listings. The trick is to select your items you want promoted and set them to 1%. That way, you'll get the exposure and your fee for selling under a Promoted Listing is going to be 1% of your listing price. I would NOT do the "suggested percentage rate". If you set your percentage to 1% and you sell a $50 item, you're only getting charged $.50 if it was sold via a Promoted click. I've sold a lot of my clothing items with Promoted Listings feature. I honestly think it just depends on how many other sellers are selling what you're selling. 

What does your competition look like? 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

you need to decide...

do you want to give the money to eBay?

or would you rather -

give the (promotion fee) in a form of a discount to your customer?

----------------------

for me - the answer is simple

I ALWAYS shop:

#1 - AMERICAN SELLER (I do not deal with sellers from China)

#2 - PRICE (is it the lowest?)

#3 - FEEDBACK (are they a trusted seller)

-----------------------

as someone else stated in this feed

I usually skip over PROMOTED LISTINGS

as an educated consumer -

I know SOMEONE is paying for that 'promotion'

and as a buyer - it's usually me!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply