cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funds held because of dispute

Hi. A buyer just opened a dispute saying he didn’t authorize tye transaction, the item was just mailed out. I replied challenging with the tracking number.

now it says my funds will be held.

i messaged the buyer to ask what is happening, he answered.. “My fault, sorry, on the phone now trying to fix” . I don’t know more details.

so , how long should I wait for the case to close in my favor? Or should I call ebay tomorrow to discuss? 
thanks.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@effie*s_trinkets 

Make absolutely sure the tracking number is in the claim details. If you check the tracking on eBay is at also showing as Delivered?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

No--don't call eBay. Give it some time to play out. If you call eBay, there's a very good chance they will find in the buyer's favor, process a refund, and let the buyer keep the item.

The #1 rule when dealing with eBay customer service:

"Don't ask a question you don't already know the answer to."

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Hi, what kind of a dispute (Not As Described, chargeback, etc) and where did he open it?

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@effie*s_trinkets wrote:

Hi. A buyer just opened a dispute saying he didn’t authorize tye transaction, the item was just mailed out. I replied challenging with the tracking number.

now it says my funds will be held.

i messaged the buyer to ask what is happening, he answered.. “My fault, sorry, on the phone now trying to fix” . I don’t know more details.

so , how long should I wait for the case to close in my favor? Or should I call ebay tomorrow to discuss? 
thanks.

These things happen much more than people realize. We just got through the holidays where many purchases were made. As the bills come in some people genuinely forget a specific purchase. Add to that the minimal info that eBay gives for online purchases and it's difficult to recognize a legitimate purchase. 

Your buyer has recognized the purchase and they are resolving the issues. You should never call eBay as they may consider that having them get involved. When they get involved they will charge you a $20 fee. You need to be a little more patient and wait this out. Cases take just a small amount of time to close out so concentrate on selling meantime and soon enough all will be fine. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Always follow eBay and PayPal policies and read about these - there is seller protection if you follow the rules and keep your documentation of proof of shipping. If you post the tracking number and the item is delivered you should be fine - even if the buyer claims his account was hacked. I sold a high value item once and the seller claimed his account was used without his authorization. I followed all the rules, supplied documentation, and eventually I was credited the value of the sale.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Hi, what kind of a dispute....

From the OP:  buyer just opened a dispute saying he didn’t authorize tye transaction

The OP is in Managed Payments.  This is a reversal by the buyer's payment source be it a credit card, PayPal, etc. It is similar to the old "unauthorized use" chargebacks that were filed on ebay transactions when the seller took PayPal. 

Proof of DELIVERY is required here instead of just "proof of shipping" for any sort of seller protection. The MP system apparently makes the seller WAIT for a determination by the buyer's bank or whatever, even if the requirements of seller protection are met. 

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

It just says that the buyer doesn’t recognize the transaction, and filed with their “financial institution”

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

It was just shipped, so no delivery yet.

will I have to wait until then?

this is so frustrating. Thanks.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

If this item is expensive: do an intercept through the shipper to get it back.

Cost money to do; but better than the situation you are in now.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

If you are on Manged payments this is a high probability due to them it shows payment to eBay and not you.

Contact your purchaser and let them now this.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@donsdetour 

That's not quite the case--at least not with my funding source. It gives the seller's member id (albeit a truncated version), along with the fact that it was an eBay purchase via PayPal (in my case).

Aside from that, I would recognize a transaction entry from "eBay" LONG before I'd recognize the seller's name or member id. I don't even pay attention to a seller's member id long enough to remember it when it shows up on a credit/debit card statement. eBay, I'd recognize--donsdetour, I wouldn't.

So, in fact, I would think the opposite would be true.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

and filed with their “financial institution”

That's a credit card chargeback.

The cc invoice would not be very clear who was being paid- thus the buyer's confusion, and likely why she did not file with eBay rather than the card.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The cc invoice would not be very clear who was being paid- thus the buyer's confusion, and likely why she did not file with eBay rather than the card.

Here's what my eBay transaction entries look like on my credit card statement (sanitized for privacy of seller). Looks pretty clear to me that they were eBay purchases from seller *EOCB*******E.

Personally, I never pay attention to a seller's member id. Which entry would you recognize as a buyer when you check your statement: an entry that says "eBay," or an entry that says "pburn?"

capitalone.png

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I've had 3 MP payment disputes for "the buyer didn't recognize the transaction". In all 3 situations, I only added the tracking number - I didn't attempt to contact the buyer or provide any additional information to eBay.

I won 2 because I uploaded tracking showing the items had been delivered weeks before the cases had been opened. Both cases took about 3 weeks to resolve.

The one I lost was similar to yours, I had shipped the item less than 24 hours prior to the dispute being opened.  I thought I would be covered since I'd already shipped the item, but I lost and had to pay the $20 fee because the buyer "refused" the package. I was actually ok with this outcome since I got the item back and a package intercept would've cost about as much as the fee anyway (and it isn't guaranteed). This one took about 2 months to resolve.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

There are reports of credit card as just ebay payment. No other info.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply