cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Returns!!!! Why would anyone ever shop at a store again?

Okay so now ebay is going to start making everyone have 30 Day FREE Returns!!!! When is this madness going to STOP?!? We ship everything with free shipping unless a buyer wants faster shipping and now we actually have to reconsider not having free shipping or opting to not be a Top Rated seller anymore due to this new policy ebay is going to put into place in May/June 2018.

Now if I were a buyer why in the heck would I ever go the stores anymore to buy anything because if I don't like what I bought I would have to jump in my car, go to the store, wait in line, and return it. Now I can sit in the comfort of my home, order something that I'm not really sure I want, have it shipped to me for free, once I get it I see ahh I don't like the color (listing stated what the color was and is correct according to the listing description), well I'll just start my FREE return, I'm going to wait 29 days to do so, I will print off the FREE Pre-Paid shipping label from my wonderful lazyboy, and wait for my refund so I can do it again!!!! 

When is this stuff going to END!!!! I think all the selling platforms have lost sight at how a return works. When you buy something from a physical store you WILL have to pay for that return if you don't like it with your time and effort of getting in your car, wasting the gas to go there, and your TIME, but now they've made it so that's not the case anymore with online shopping.

Since when is it okay for someone to have buyer remorse and not have to pay for that remorse? Why should us sellers have to pay for their remorse? We didn't make them buy anything and we clearly stated the facts on what they're buying in the listing description.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Free Returns!!!! Why would anyone ever shop at a store again?

@knotaroundyourneckwrote:

Everything I list I use 60 day free returns and have no problems at all. You have to embrace these things  , the concept of online shopping is not to make it hard for shoppers it's to make it easy so more people will buy online. Every major retailer offers free returns. Put yourself in the buyers shoes for a moment. If you made a purchase online, received the item and realized you didn't like for any reason how would you feel if you had to pay to get your money back.

Though I agree with the gist of what you write, and in particular that an on-line store has to reduce barriers, the statement I highlight in red is just not true for most products at on-line retailers  (e.g., Amazon) ... eBay keeps implying that it is some sort of industry standard, but it is a deceptive statement.

• The last two things I returned to Amazon, for example, had big chunks of money removed from my refund for return shipping.  L.L. Bean charges a flat rate to return.
  • Some on-line retailers give the gold benefit of free-returns, like at Zappos, but you will pay top dollar for those shoes ... I have to pay a yearly membership to REI to get generous return benefits.
  • And, since most major retailers have brick-n-morter stores, I can get free returns when I buy  at Walmart.com or Target.com, but I have to take it back to the store to get my "free return". 

I only write this because I am annoyed (not with you, but with eBay) as eBay promotes a slight-of-hand lie about free returns being an industry standard.   I want to make sure that it is clear that free returns are not an on-line industry standard, and overall there is a trend brewing now with retailers in general to be more restrictive with returns.

But, hey, if anyone wants a free return for a product I list, I would be more than happy to have you drive to my business and hand it to me.  I won't charge you for the return.  😛

Message 61 of 82
latest reply

All of this will be moot anyhow once ebay begins being the merchant of record. You'll all fall in line like good little soldiers or be sent in to narkel the garfunk...

Message 62 of 82
latest reply

When eBay claims something is an industry standard, the weaselspeak translation is actually, "We are declaring this an industry standard in hopes that everyone else believes us so it does become an industry standard."

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 63 of 82
latest reply

No free returns = loss of TRS Plus = lower placement.  While it sounds a bit intimidating, search has been manipulated for quite some time now in favor of big box and Asian sellers.  Except for the small savings incurred by having TRS Plus status, the threat of being lowered in search is a moot point.  When you hit the bottom there is nowhere to go but up or elsewhere.  That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Message 64 of 82
latest reply

Admittedly I did not read all of the posts before me so someone may have mentioned this....my thoughts about the 30 day free returns are what the stores have run into and have begun to really reign in abusers of store return policies.  There are people on lists that cannot return items in stores after so many returns. (Whatever their magic number is).   I have always wondered what could cause someone to return so many items and I think I have the answer now that I am selling on Ebay.    They buy things with a mind to sell it, list it, if it does not sell, return it to the store with no money burden on their part.

Do you think this will happen with predatory sellers?  See your item lower than what they think they can sell it for, buy it from you, list it, it does not sell, return it within the 30 day window.  OR video games...play them for 28 days, return them within the 30. An event you need the formal dress, buy it, wear it, return it within the 30 day window.

I think of these things, and I wonder just how many people like that are out there.   How many of you have had these experiences?

@where*you*crowin

@where*you*crowinwrote:

No free returns = loss of TRS Plus = lower placement.  While it sounds a bit intimidating, search has been manipulated for quite some time now in favor of big box and Asian sellers.  Except for the small savings incurred by having TRS Plus status, the threat of being lowered in search is a moot point.  When you hit the bottom there is nowhere to go but up or elsewhere.  That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

I agree ... constantly being "threatened" with being lower in Search because of non-compliance with the new rules and regs plus similar threats because "your items not as described" return rate is too high is just down right juvenile.  Another ID here dropped sales by 67% compared to the last 4 months ... for no reason other than if eBay does not show the items then they will not sell ... its not rocket science ... but if it were then it would be a severe case of failure to launch or the rocket blew up on the launch pad ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 66 of 82
latest reply

@mr_lincolnwrote:

@total.sports.llc

@total.sports.llcwrote:

Yeah we definitely know we will have to do some restructuring due to this new policy if we want to stay a Top Rated Seller it's just what has yet to be determined. 

The really sad part to this is that Sellers who have attained TRS Plus have done so by being, well Top Rated, in how they conduct their business.  For us, we could care less about the 10% FVF discount but having the TRS badge displayed on listings, in our opinion, improves sales and Buyer confidence. 

They are clueless on what motivates people ...

Haven't finished reading the entire thread, but did want to mention that I NEVER look for the TRS badge (which I also have). I do look at feedback when I am buying things like phone batteries that are likely from sellers selling thousands of items a year,  and  I keep checking until I find someone with a "reasonable" amount of negative feedback based on their volume. And I won't buy from the cheapest sellers if they have lots of bad feedback. The other things I buy, like paper mache dolls, I'm looking at the item, never at the badge, and then I take a quick glance and rarely ever find even neutral feedback. I hope the TRS badge puts us higher up in search, but who the heck knows, and maybe there are certain categories where a TRS badge means something, but I don't seem to shop for those items.

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 67 of 82
latest reply

@knotaroundyourneckwrote:

Your reply tells me that the problem is not the customer. I just purchased a 100 lb mini electric motorcycle on Amazon and returned it because it was way smaller than my son needed. Because they are a REPUTABLE business they paid the $85.00 return shipping. 

You're operating your business in the past not the future. 

Dean

I don't have problem customers.

I would have gone to a store to see what size motorcycle my son would need before I ever ordered it online and had someone else pay for my return shipping because I ordered the wrong size. Because I am a REPUTABLE buyer.

Target will restrict your returns as well.

Last time I had a return(if I remember with no reciept), my drivers liscence was scanned.

I was told that I would be allowed 5 more items in a year.

I was at Dillard's recently, and they had a three day! Return policy. And they are not coming to get it or paying to get it back.

There was a big story on the national news lately about restricted returns. It was a group of stores together, Best Buy being one of the group.

They are beginning to restrict returns for a year, for various reasons , for an individual.

Some of the reasons were: returns close to closing time, or returning big items like TVs.

A consumer doesn't have to do anything wrong, the group of stores retain the right to restrict returns for any reason.

Ebay does seem to be heading a different way than the rest of retail. Making returns easier, not harder.

Another poster mentioned Zappos. We live close to the outlet and believe me, you pay really big for the privilege of 'free" returns!!!

Message 69 of 82
latest reply

@lindyslucky  Nice to hear retail stores are getting tougher on returns and I don't blame them.  Its been too easy for too long for Buyers to use retail stores (brick & motor or online) as rental agencies ... it has made them less savvy in making a purchasing decision.  And you know, the funny thing is, people will adjust, they aways do.  Don't be surprised when Retail stores start to cut back on their store hours because they need to find ways to save money ... yep, people will adjust and actually learn to get to the store before its closed of a day or two ... just like all of us baby boomers did many years ago ...

Regards,
Message 70 of 82
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

All of this will be moot anyhow once ebay begins being the merchant of record. You'll all fall in line like good little soldiers or be sent in to narkel the garfunk...

Ruling by fear.  Think about who has done that historically.  Good company, ya think?

Message 71 of 82
latest reply

@partial*eclipse  wrote: That's exactly why Amazon is growing and retail stores and malls throughout the country are going out of business.     

eBay perceives Amazon as their primary role model and competition.  That's the underlying reason for many  policy changes, which are camouflaged with the phrase "buyer expectations" which actually means "what buyers get from Amazon" whether it's 3-day delivery or free 30-day returns.

Yes and it is a real shame that there seems to be nobody at Home Office with one single ounce of creative or innovative thinking so that instead of being followers they could be leaders against their competition ...

They are missing the boat by NOT emphasizing the antique, vintage and collectible market that got them where they were say 10 years ago (or there abouts) ... we're learning that there is a certain % of young people who are now going to auctions to find lower cost items for their first home or to furnish apartments ... they like the older stuff as its unique and they seem to have fun on the hunt plus its a cheap date for them.

Regards,
Message 72 of 82
latest reply

@knotaroundyourneck wrote:

Your reply tells me that the problem is not the customer. I just purchased a 100 lb mini electric motorcycle on Amazon and returned it because it was way smaller than my son needed. Because they are a REPUTABLE business they paid the $85.00 return shipping. 

You're operating your business in the past not the future. 

Dean

Whether it was poor research, laziness or an entitled attitude, I don't think what you did was right. Why should any company have to pay for your mistake?  No wonder so many retailers are going out of business. If this kind of buyer behavior is our future we are all in trouble.

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 73 of 82
latest reply

Thanks for your reply Mr. Lincoln!

independent Brick & Mortar stores have many times in the past restricted, or Havent allowed returns.

I worked at Pier One long ago & they had a strict no return or exchange policy. That was when they had unique items, not everything from China.

We had a B&M clothing store, family owned since the 1930s.

Returns were never an easy option. (Exchanges yes)

We did ship items to people. (Many customers would buy for people out if town). They paid shipping.

If I could make 1% on ebay of what the store made, We would be very happy.

What customers wanted? Service. To be waited on. To be helped with matching clothing, shoes, hats. Free alterations. 

Not possible in the same way online.

Oh, and we closed evenings and on Sunday.

With stores today, they will continue to push the button with extra hours. They do that, not with people working, (only as cashiers and stock clerks), but with security cameras.

Next time you are at a big mall store(I know,  when will that be?) look at the security cameras. They are everywhere. Monitored by someone far away.

It's defintely a new world. We don't like it much.

But, the whole world is changing as to the value of having things.

We will wait & see what happens next.

Message 74 of 82
latest reply

We always are amazed & envious of those who have this option.

We have an old house, big front porch, mail slot.

We have never been sucessful in having our mail carrier pick up even an envelope.

Rarely can we even mail things in a mailbox  as we have had problems with on time delivery doing that.

Our best option is driving about 3 miles (city miles) to a satellite station with limited hours. 

Often it can be a long wait.

And if we wore pajamas in, they would probably call the police!😀

Message 75 of 82
latest reply