cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent buyer who also is a seller

I sold a vintage prince tshirt for a little over $300.00. The buyer was very pushy about me lowering the price and sending it immediately. I was accommodating and lowered the price and shipped it immediately. One hour after package was delievered he opens a case and claims I sent him a blank tshirt. I'm floored that someone could be so dishonest!!!! When someone is this blatantly dishonest Im pretty sure it isn't the first time! Is there a way for me to see past issues or if he's had a history of this? I want the info so I can use it when I'm pleading my case. He is also a seller on ebay. What are my rights as a seller? I feel a responsibility to make a big deal so no one else falls victim to someone who should be kicked off ebay.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Fraudulent buyer who also is a seller

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@shoppingwithshan wrote:
update to the update:
Something didn't seem right with the last rep I spoke with this morning. She advised me to accept the return but the gentleman I spoke with last week told me not to accept the return. I called back and was now advised to not accept the return and the investigation would now take place. I learned something new, the investigation is not contingent upon either parties escalating a case but can not be done before the 7 days of someone opening the case. Also I could be wrong but the more I call back regarding this case it almost seems like I'm transferred to someone with a bit more authority than the last rep. It probably would have been more profitable for me to accept my losses (as just part of the nature of the business). In a lot of ways it's financially smarter to do just that, in the past that's exactly what I've done. I also realized this time I had a responsibility to go through the proper steps.

@Anonymous, this seller is getting conflicting info from CS each time they call. Can you review this?

Hi @Anonymous & @shoppingwithshan, I'll ensure that any appropriate coaching is provided. From my initial investigation it does appear that the conversation from last week confirmed when eBay could be asked to step in and make a decision, but subsequent conversations have clarified that this is not in the seller's best interest. There definitely may have been some confusion through this process and I will take steps to clear this up.

Additionally, I can confirm that while we understand that a seller stands by the products they shipped out, there the buyer stating they received a different product than what was described in the listing is something the seller would need to resolve. It's possible that a mistake was made or that the item was tampered with in transit - either way, a return should be accepted and a refund issued once the item is back in the seller's possession. 

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

LOL! You are dreaming if you think Ebay will do anything. The buyer will keep your item and get a refund. If for some one in a million reason Ebay denies him, nhe will simply try Paypal and then finally a chargeback with the credit card company used on paypal. There are webpages that list step by step of how to get any item for free on Ebay becasue of their one sided return policy and feedback. Even if they get their account suspended for to many returns, which hardly ever happens, it takes 2 seconds to make a new buying account.

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

This is sickening to hear!!! I can't imagine ebay allowing such behavior!

I've only really had one bad experience from Ebay. One too many of my coach bags were pulled in an allotted time so I was suspended from listing for 15 days. I could prove most bags were authentic with receipts from coach but ....no one from ebay would even hear me.

I wasn't trying to prove this for the sake of relisting the coach bags but to prove my integrity. I wanted to get off their radar. I rely solely on ebay to provide for my kids and sick husband and I would do Nothing I mean Nothing to jeopardize this.

Because of that experience I have a hard time believing ebay would allow such dishonest behavior. Especially because my buyer from this vintage tee is also a seller.

Yes I make mistakes so there are times that a return is necessay for me to make things right. Sometimes my buyers make mistakes and I allow them the same forgiveness and allow returns pretty frequently.

I also understand that situations like this put ebay in a tough spot. In order for them to believe me they have to disbelieve someone else. It makes it really hard to know who's telling the truth. They don't know  someones character and have to interpret someone's integrity through feedback. I have 1 neutral feedback and 100% earned it. My buyer was justified. (I could have sworn I pulled a listing that was out of stock but I guess I didn't.) Other than that my feedback is pretty flawless.

The only real way to stop situations like this from reoccurring is for sellers to call and report such dishonest activity!!!!!! It is equaly important for ebay to document such reports and I have to assume it's being done. In my experience people this dishonest usually have a track record. I feel like it's equally important to file a fraud report, IC3 report, and follow up.

It requires a lot of time so it's easy to justify letting it go and being done with it. I don't think it's fair to blame ebay if we aren't willing to do our part!!!!!

Sorry for my soapbox and long message I wasn't trying to preach!!  

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

Zero communication from buyer since case was originally opened. After approving and paying for the return the buyer must have realized I would in fact be filing a fraud report and IC3 report. The buyer never shipped anything back so ebay closed the case in my favor. 

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Whew! 
Still - the stress of all this, you're not happy, I'm not happy, "buyer" lives to lie another day. 
(a blank black undershirt... they couldn't try harder than THAT?)

I was thinking; 
what if "buyer" had opened that package at the post office (I do sometimes to show off) and bragged to one and all standing around "Look what I got for $X0.00!"
And seller, you, phoned that particular post office to report mail fraud and the clerk said "wait... I remember that cool shirt..." Busted.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply