cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

So eBay has completely let me down.

A rundown, eBay refunded the buyer on December 26th when I opened my last thread where my PayPal went negative. My appeal was denied despite sufficient evidence and even a police report against the buyer. 

A couple days ago the buyer opened another case on PAYPAL and then last night ebay DEBITED ME AGAIN(!!)??! To refund the buyer. 

basically the buyer got two refunds and now wants a third one.

CA80BEF5-1AB3-4687-80A1-93524787BE2E.jpeg

Original transaction refunded on December 26th caused my paypal account to go negative 

chargeback from buyer filed on saturday

and a refund to the buyer (again) from eBay last night

AND to top it all off now eBay is telling me I can’t sell anything anymore. Even though the buyer was the one trying to scam me. Now the buyer has TWO REFUNDS

AND MY BAG

and obviously they got greedy and wanted a third one from PayPal. Yet I am the one who is being punished unfairly. I have NEVER had any case opened against me (or even opened any kind of case against someone) in 10 years of buying and occasionally selling on eBay. 

So I basically lost nearly $8000 and a $6000 bag. 

I called PayPal and they told me it’s an eBay problem, I called eBay and they told me it’s a PayPal problem.

Completely unfair despite no history of claims and disputes opened against me, yet the buyer had abused this system before and eBay ADMITTED that! 
but they said there’s nothing they can do.

This can not be legal.

So what are my options here? I am livid. 

Message 1 of 473
latest reply
472 REPLIES 472

Re: Fraudulent buyer UPDATE

AGAIN?! 
the one bag was sold on my MOM’S ACCOUNT!! I was asking for help for HER

The iPHONE was an off eBay transaction my friend did and I asked because I got good advice on these boards! 

THIS IS THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE EVER HAD ON MY ACCOUNT!!

Omg!! If you don’t have anything relevant to say please stop 

Message 211 of 473
latest reply

@csbbct wrote:
@lacemaker3 wrote:

I don't believe the buyer has gotten a double refund. The original refund was processed as an e-check, which means the buyer would not get it until it cleared (which apparently happened on Jan 4). OP's information shows that the e-check did not clear for at least 9-10 days (Dec 26 to Jan 4) which is the time point when an e-check normally fails for NSF, and PayPal gives up on it. Also, the buyer did not start the chargeback until Jan 4, so it was started before they received the refund when the e-check finally cleared (Jan 4) or from the CC charge (Jan 5). I'm sure that PayPal will get the chargeback thrown out.

Actually, in my experience with e-check refunds, Paypal takes the money from my checking account the first night they send the request to my bank, then it sits in "pending" status for 4-5 days before it is actually refunded to the buyer, I guess to make sure the bank doesn't stop payment on it.  ...

Yes, that would be how it looks from the seller's side. You  can see the pending transaction, and you know that it will be completed because you know the funds are available in your account to pay it. But that's not what the buyer sees.

In my experience, from the other side of this (the buyer's side), I didn't see any money refunded for the entire 10 days, not in my PayPal account, and not on my CC that I funded the payment with. The money was never "pending" to me, the buyer.

I could see on eBay that they had submitted a refund. They were asking me to confirm that I had received it, but I never did. I could see on PayPal that the e-check had been submitted to the seller's bank.  Then after 4-5 days, it failed (NSF), and PayPal resubmitted it. After the second try failed, PayPal said that the refund had not been completed,  the PayPal status went back to paid (not refunded), the eBay status went back to paid and the eBay transaction said waiting for the seller to ship. At that point, I had to get eBay involved, because the seller had clearly stated that they would not ship Only the e-check refund of this was similar to OP's situation, so I don't want to go into this any more.

@csbbct wrote:
...  Maybe when the buyer saw that the refund still wasn't coming to them after 10 days on the 4th, they filed the chargeback thinking they were never going to get the refund and not necessarily trying to get a second refund.  ...

Yes, I think that is quite possible. I have had my doubts about the veracity of this buyer from the beginning, but in spite of my doubts, this is a very likely explanation, so I don't think that the chargeback can be taken as a sign of attempted fraud. It was a reasonable thing to do, given that the e-check refund could have appeared to have failed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we all want to know what really happened here, where's the bag, what happened to the refunds. But I'm not going to hold my breath, because I don't think we will ever find out.

Glad I could help with the Quote feature!

Message 212 of 473
latest reply

Thank you for your advice! I’ll definitely try Facebook , because I don’t know anyone in Washington unfortunately!

At this point I’ll be happy with my bag back 
or anything.

Message 213 of 473
latest reply

I haven’t heard from the buyer since the 26.. 

Message 214 of 473
latest reply

@shoppingisfun.x 

stop wasting your time replying to posts here...use your energy and hopefully anger to do your homework as suggested by other helpful posters. i just want to know why you have not received your bag back considering the amount of money already lost. keep the faith...

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 215 of 473
latest reply

@shoppingisfun.x wrote:

AGAIN?! 
the one bag was sold on my MOM’S ACCOUNT!! I was asking for help for HER

The iPHONE was an off eBay transaction my friend did and I asked because I got good advice on these boards! 

THIS IS THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE EVER HAD ON MY ACCOUNT!!

Omg!! If you don’t have anything relevant to say please stop 

eBay can link accounts... 

Message 216 of 473
latest reply

Hope you got a little rest overnight and that you have had your morning coffee!  Here's my take -- the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020 have been horrible for you.  The only direction now is 'up'!

Hang in and do know that when all is 'said and done -- more will be said then done'!

Hugs!  You will survive!

Seller since 09/20/01 ~~ this is my posting ID.
Message 217 of 473
latest reply

I will! I’m sorry I’m just so tired of falsely being accused of things I didn’t do

Message 218 of 473
latest reply

Thank you so much! It really means so much to me!! You really have no idea

I really hope things will start looking up soon 😞 this whole situation has been horrible

Message 219 of 473
latest reply

Also eBay is not taking responsibility for the double charge! What are my options here?

Message 220 of 473
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@style.by.me29 wrote:

General response:

If I recall correctly eBay seller protection just requires seller to ship the item to the correct address and with sig confirmation on orders over $750 correct? 

OP did all those things so why was the case and appeal not closed in her favor? 

@style.by.me29 

According to the eBay staff person who responded on this thread, if one reads between the lines, the tracking/delivery information was insufficient to support the seller, so the buyer was awarded a refund for their INR case.

Your loyalty to and belief in the OP is admirable, but that part of the case is over. The OP lost the INR. Clearly, tracking did not show in her favor or support her contention that the buyer had indeed received the item.

Hi everyone, I just want to reiterate what @eleanor*rigby has summarized - if a seller has proof of delivery, they will be protected. The OP has reported not being protected, we have reviewed the situation, and the correct action was taken. There may be incorrect information or missing details not shared on the boards that would provide the context missing here, but I can echo brian@ebay's earlier confirmation that the OP's case has been reviewed multiple times, in full detail and the correct decision was made in their case. While we won't be going into more detail here, the OP can contact Customer Service to clear up any confusion they may have.

Message 221 of 473
latest reply

@shoppingisfun.x wrote:

Also eBay is not taking responsibility for the double charge! What are my options here?

My thoughts about the double charge is that it will be taken care of.  When?  I have no idea!  Who, eBay or PayPal?  It doesn't matter.  I do believe that you are out the initial payment and the bag which simply doesn't make sense to me.

Working on my Pink Champagne Cake recipe today and if it turns out I'll send you a piece a piece or two or three!!!!

Seller since 09/20/01 ~~ this is my posting ID.
Message 222 of 473
latest reply

Give evidence to your CC company and bank.

Federal law limits consumers’ liability for credit card fraud to $50

According to the federal Fair Credit Billing Act:

• If your credit card — the physical card — is stolen and used by a crook, your issuer can hold you responsible for up to $50 in fraudulent charges. However, if you report the card stolen before any fraudulent charges are made, you have no liability.
  • If your card number is stolen or used without your permission but you’re still in possession of the card — which is usually the case in a data breach or hack — you’re not responsible for any fraudulent charges.

I’m not sure where your situation will fall OP but report the charge as fraudulent, there’s a good chance you won’t be held liable. 

Message 223 of 473
latest reply

if not dispute it with your credit card company as fraud ...

seems even e-bay has a problem dealing with disputes and banks ...

Message 224 of 473
latest reply

Thank your for your response but from the information I was given by the high value claims reps I don’t understand how I can be held responsible for a carrier issue, which was actually corrected and I even had a postal service employee talk to a high value rep when this situation happened.

On top of that eBay is taking absolutely no responsibility for the double charge 

Message 225 of 473
latest reply