cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For very small sellers that are not selling what are our options?

I am very small, and I like that as I can manage my account easily being retired and a hobby seller.

It has now become obvious to me after 1 or maybe 3 sales a month this is not working for me. I have tried other venues etsy etc. higher fees and no sales. I have nice things, and my kids do not wait them. The Salvation Army should not be their demise so what does one do?? Taxes will probably be the end as I don't make enough to go through all that paperwork. So what does a losing hobby seller do?

thanks in advance:)

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: For very small sellers that are not selling what are our options?

Oh yes. You will probably note the clothing items as that was my last ditch to make a more profitable account! Poor decision now stuck with a wardrobe of stuff I will never wear nor care to donate.

Just saying..

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Looking at your items,   And that you're considering donating them,    Maybe 

adding Best offer to all your listings might draw some attention.

It couldn't hurt.    And costs nothing. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I'm not sure I'm clear.

• Your items won't sell.
  • Your kids don't want them.
  • You aren't interested in donating them.

And you're asking what to do with those items? (No snark--just need clarification.)

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Some things don't sell.  No one is going to buy 4 plain white coffee mugs for 20.oo and then shipping too.   The bric-a-brac stuff nobody wants that stuff.  Today's younger people do not want any of those statues or porcelain figurines that was fashionable years ago.   I ending up throwing away all of my mom's bric-a-brac stuff. I tried selling it about 10 years ago. Even in yard sales, nobody wanted it.  So I tossed it.

Ebay already tracks your ebay fees and your shipping fees if you use ebay shipping.  You don't need an accountant if you have not sold that much.   Goodluck.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Clothing is one of the worst possible things to sell as a small / hobby seller.  The reason being is that clothing is the easiest thing to scale up in, thus it is the most competitive category. 

If you just want to be in it and part of the action then I would garage sale pick. Just learn a few vintage categories and look for those. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Since ebay gives you some free listings, why not keep listing the items until they sell. Look at your pricing to make sure you're in the buy box. Plus, understand that clothing is ultra competitive, very seasonal, & popular styles change quickly. Don't be afraid of the tax filing requirements and thresholds. It isn't that bad & once you have an idea of what records you need keep it will quite easy. 

Hang in there & Good luck!

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

I'd do as @dirk12955 suggested and add the Best Offer to your sales. However, enabling Best Offer will disable Immediate Payment Required if you are using that. You can set a minimum to turn down and a min to receive. Or you can do what I do and leave both blank and just take offers as they come and accept or reject them based on the feeling of the day.

Just a suggestion.

BTW...that brass steamship is a nice looking piece...and no...I don't want to put an offer in. I couldn't do it justice.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Reading the replies sounds like the majority feel vintage decor is dead.

Perhaps, etsy is a better venue for the vintage decor or other venues. I can not believe no wants the older decor that is not accurate. I do not steer my items toward younger buyers as they do not have an appreciation for these things. Young buyers want disposable throw away items, games etc are much higher on their priority list..

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Ebay is not a good venue to sell older collectibles especially home decor. I will probably move the vintage decor to etsy, and the clothes to salvation army.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I really like many of your clothing items, especially the leggings, but I just never spend that much on clothing for myself.  I’m also not saying they are over priced, I’m just cheap. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Maybe rework some of your listing titles. A few I noticed say "gorgeous". That word is a waste of title space, especially when it is the first word or near the start of the title. That is a search word that absolutely no one will be entering into the search. It is fine however to mention in the listing itself that the item is gorgeous.

Try to use search words (especially at the start of the title) related to your item that someone might search for.

There may be other wasted words in some of your titles but I didn't look that close. I just noticed that word which stood out.

Sometimes it is good to rework titles just to try to get the algos to pick it up. Worth a try anyway.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

the clothing items as that was my last ditch to make a more profitable account! Poor decision now stuck with a wardrobe of stuff I will never wear nor care to donate.

You were buying clothing for resale?

Or these are your own clothes?

If the former, that makes for a tax deduction for procurement of goods.

If the latter, your goods didn't cost you anything. The idea being that you bought them for your own use, and wearing them reduced their value to zero.

But basically this is the "sunk costs" fallacy.

Because you put money/energy/ thought into doing something, it is hard to say you made a mistake.

I understand that Americans can donate goods to charities and get a tax rebate for the donation.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I am a small seller also, I started 10 years ago and was doing great mostly vintage jewelry. Now I am not selling much.  I think the new stuff is selling good sneakers, brand name pocketbooks.  I think we are just left out

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I can not believe no wants the older decor that is not accurate.

I agree.

But most people have"traditional" taste. Hummel, silverware, Royal Doulton plates, lace tablecloths.
Some of this works with cottagecore/farmhouse decor, but the traditional styles that copy high-end homes are not stylish at the moment.  Maybe our great-grandchildren will return to that.

I occasionally buy a magazine called Atomic Ranch. It promotes MCM (Mid Century Modern) decor with an eye to copying rather than adapting. MCM is also a feature of Dwell and Monocle magazines but those are firmly 21st century, with a nostalgia for the 50s and 60s.

To be more concrete. MCM is a Starburst clock or a Satellite lamp.

Traditional would be a grandmother clock or a crystal and brass chandelier.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply